Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So...what y'all drinking?  (Read 12425 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So...what y'all drinking?
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:44:14 am »

This didn't turn out to be the weekend of boozing that I expected it to be, because I didn't finish a paper and 1/2, but I have been doing a wee bit of drinking.  The gas station I stopped at last night didn't have the best selection, so I got that Killian's Irish Red (or whatever) stuff.  It's...beer.  It gives me a buzz, and that's what I want beer to do.

But I do have my preferences.  I love stout.  Never had one I didn't like.  I prefer beer to liqour, unless I'm feeling really chubby.  But I do like whiskey.  I have very little experience with wine.

What are you guys drinking lately?  I love trying new stuff.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:13:47 am »

Killians Irish Red is made by Coors and as such, sucks. (my opinion, obviously)  I haven't drunk it since I was in college, I'm happy to hear it still works for that demographic. What really pisses me off is when people get charged "imported beer" price for Killians. I've seen it like that on restaurant menus.

We stick to local Hawaiian brews (Kona Brewing Company Longboard Lager is good) or Sam Adams when it's not available.

My wife mocks me for it but I find that when it's hot as hell there is nothing so easy to drink as Corona. Sure, it's kind of weak - it's the ice water of beers to me.

As for the harder stuff - I prefer Vodka Tonics over most over mixed drinks. Also Gimlets are good. Jack and Coke is good. Good Rum in coke is also good. Whiskey sours are OK if the whiskey is good. I don't drink too much hard liquor straight up though.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 04:24:01 pm »

This weekend is what is known as 'Reality Weekend' at St. John's, which means everyone is drunk all the time.  So:

Yesterday morning I was woken up to a mimosa, and like 24 ounces of coffee with whiskey and bailey's.  That was 9 am-ish.  On from there to study beer throughout the day.  The college went all out for this celebration so the beers were: Newcastle Dark, Sierra Nevada Dark, and Guinness.  All in kegs, all in unlimited supply, even for the underaged.  Classy.

Dance party last night was more beer plus some homemade limoncello (which I discussed before) which turned out terribly but mixed with standard lemonade was palatable.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 05:59:12 pm »

Vodka on the rocks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 08:26:37 pm »

This morning I woke up to the last half of a Sierra Nevada Summer Brew. I've been drinking a fair amount of Magic Hat and Brooklyn Beers. Delicious stuff. My fallbacks are Bass, Newcastle  Brown, Boddingtons Cream Ale and Red Stripe. My skag beer is definitely Rheingold, which is cheaper than water around here.
I'm not a huge liquor guy, but there's a BBQ place around me that sells these massive, headsized goblets of frozen mixed drinks, liberally drenched in the cheapest alcohol God invented. They're only $3.50 at happy hour, and a shot of tequila is a buck more. When you really, really need to get wasted....
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:13:55 am »

I generally only drink on special occasions and I hate both wine and beer so I'm a bit limited. I generally go for whiskey sours because it satisfies the rules for drinks that a man is allowed to order that I read once in high school.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 02:52:05 am »

Champagne at the mother's day dinner earlier, vodka on the rocks now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:12:59 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I generally go for whiskey sours because it satisfies the rules for drinks that a man is allowed to order that I read once in high school.


I discussed this very topic on my site a while back...
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 01:01:06 pm »

ubiquitous cheap beer of choice = miller lite.
beer of choice most of the time except it's very filling = sam adams.

Jameson or Bushmills, Ice, and a little water.


i concur about corona being a good "hot day" beer, except that it's so damned expensive.  at least, herebouts, it seems to be on killian's level.


killian anecdote:  4-5 bowls of cereal (remember the commercial with the squirrels that kept trying to steal the man's cereal because it had almonds in it?  it was good, but i don't remember the name) and a six pack of killian's one sunday, could not stop throwing up, went to emergency room, does not drink killian's or milk now.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 01:06:41 pm »

See this is the problem with whiskey sours. They're kind of borderline. I've been served one in a curvy fuzzy navel-type glass and in a tumbler. Plus they're orange. It's very confusing.

The version of the rules I said was that completely made up names were also manly. Like martinis* and gimlets. It's tought being a guy.

And you forgot that the manliest drinks involve words like "rocks" or "neat."

*Martinis can only possibly have one modifier which is vodka. If it's apple or chocolate then you're in girlie-town. And not in a good way. There's actually a bar in Georgetown that advertises that they're martinis are only $5 because they use the cheapest booze they can find but you can't tell because they only come in girlie flavors anyway.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 01:26:08 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
See this is the problem with whiskey sours. They're kind of borderline. I've been served one in a curvy fuzzy navel-type glass and in a tumbler. Plus they're orange. It's very confusing.

The version of the rules I said was that completely made up names were also manly. Like martinis* and gimlets. It's tought being a guy.

And you forgot that the manliest drinks involve words like "rocks" or "neat."

*Martinis can only possibly have one modifier which is vodka. If it's apple or chocolate then you're in girlie-town. And not in a good way. There's actually a bar in Georgetown that advertises that they're martinis are only $5 because they use the cheapest booze they can find but you can't tell because they only come in girlie flavors anyway.


i'm confused:

i've never seen an orange whiskey sour.  every whiskey sour i've ever had (which is not a small number) was greenish.  of course, it's possible i don't remember a damned thing clearly from when i was drinking whiskey sours.

i was under the impression that the martini modifier was [vodka or gin] and flavor (such as olive juice etc) in that the constant was vermouth.

--

to me there is a simple answer to the "manliness" conundrum of alcholic drinks, and that is simply: "is it a foofy blender girly-girl drink in a cored out pineapple with a loopty-loop straw and 4 rainbow colored umbrellas?  why yes, sirrah, it is.  and i've just had 55 of them motherfucker, you have a problem with that i'll stab you with the plastic sword man I WILL STAB YOU WITH THE PLASTIC SWORD ARG I BE A PIRATE I WILL STAB YOU IN THE EYE!"

--

thinking further, it could be that i've never had a whisky sour that was not made from pre-mix sour.

also, whisky sours are an amazing hot/humid night drink.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 02:39:22 pm »

I haven't been drinking much of late, out of sympathy for the pregnant Mrs. del Vaca.  The occasional Yuengling lager when I cook on the grill, that's about it.  

Most of the time, I am a bourbon man.  I loves me a nice manhattan.  Maker's Mark, usually, though at the moment I'm working on a bottle of Elijah Craig.  I also like a nice caipirinha in the summer time.  It'll get ya drunk!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 03:58:02 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
See this is the problem with whiskey sours. They're kind of borderline. I've been served one in a curvy fuzzy navel-type glass and in a tumbler. Plus they're orange. It's very confusing.

The version of the rules I said was that completely made up names were also manly. Like martinis* and gimlets. It's tought being a guy.

And you forgot that the manliest drinks involve words like "rocks" or "neat."

*Martinis can only possibly have one modifier which is vodka. If it's apple or chocolate then you're in girlie-town. And not in a good way. There's actually a bar in Georgetown that advertises that they're martinis are only $5 because they use the cheapest booze they can find but you can't tell because they only come in girlie flavors anyway.


i'm confused:

i've never seen an orange whiskey sour.  every whiskey sour i've ever had (which is not a small number) was greenish.  of course, it's possible i don't remember a damned thing clearly from when i was drinking whiskey sours.

i was under the impression that the martini modifier was [vodka or gin] and flavor (such as olive juice etc) in that the constant was vermouth.

OK, not orange but not green either. I guess yellowish is what I'm thinking of.

For gimlets and martinis gin is the standard and shouldn't need to be specified but you can order a vodka version of either. I thought if you changed anything other than gin/vodka in a martini that the name changed entire. Although I suppose there's always dirty martinis.

The simplest rule I've seen is that a man should never order anything that has a virgin equivilent.

My dad has been on a huge cuba libre kick recently. Those can be pretty good but we've hit a couple bartenders who hadn't heard of it.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 05:23:51 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My dad has been on a huge cuba libre kick recently. Those can be pretty good but we've hit a couple bartenders who hadn't heard of it.


I run into this problem sometimes. I love a good highball, but I usually have to order it as whiskey and ginger ale. Even then I get odd looks, because it seems bars don't actually stock ginger ale anymore.

Then there was the time I ordered an Old-Fashioned. The blank stare on the woman’s face was priceless. She asked what type of glass it was served in. When I replied "an old-fashioned glass," I thought her head would explode. She had to go find someone with a clue to make it for me.

As for what I'm drinking lately, I'll second the Caipirinha (and note that cachaça is also wonderful with a splash of ginger ale and a lime), along with mojitos, gin&tonics and wheat beers.

P.S. Yes, I am secure enough in my masculinity to order a named drink like an old-fashioned.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 11:29:42 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The version of the rules I said was that completely made up names were also manly. Like martinis* and gimlets. It's tought being a guy.


I've also heard that guys can't have drinks that are too sweet.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up