Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So...what y'all drinking?  (Read 12391 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:59:17 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"



i'm confused:

i've never seen an orange whiskey sour.  every whiskey sour i've ever had (which is not a small number) was greenish.  of course, it's possible i don't remember a damned thing clearly from when i was drinking whiskey sours.

i was under the impression that the martini modifier was [vodka or gin] and


I've never seen a green one - they putting midori in your whiskey sour? The sour mix is usually a yellowish color which sort of lightens up the whiskey color - sort of an amber color. Why would it be green?

I love ordering drinks that have been around since the 40's because at least half of the time, it totally screws up today's bartenders. SJL's 'Old Fashioned" story is classic.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 01:03:20 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Even then I get odd looks, because it seems bars don't actually stock ginger ale anymore.


Isn't it unfortunate that ginger ale seems to be going extinct?  It's such a fine beverage.

That's a great story about ordering the old-fashioned.  It makes me want to go around ordering them just to drive people crazy.  But then I'd have to drink it when I managed to get one, and I can't really drink hard liquor.  Mostly what I am drinking these days is Woodchuck dark hard cider, which I actually like, not just because it has a rodent on the label.   I do have an occassional margarita at a restuarant I go to only because I have a crush on the bartender.  (I don't even sit at the bar, just at a table from which I can see the bar, because I am too shy. And well, you know, married, so what would be the point.)  

Mojitos is a wonderful thing too, as long as someone can pretty much carry me out to the car afterwards.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 01:53:07 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I love ordering drinks that have been around since the 40's because at least half of the time, it totally screws up today's bartenders. SJL's 'Old Fashioned" story is classic.


and NOBODY knows how to make a proper Sidecar. It's a man's drink: brandy, triple sec, and lime juice; but bartenders always think it's one for the  ladies and give ME the chardonnay and HER the "sidecar," sugar-rimmed and swizzled.

It ain't right.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 03:07:04 am »

Yeah, ever since I wrote it, I've gotten a number of comments on the piece... as much as people such as myself like to codify, it's still a fuzzy field. Except for my coworker, who tried to convince me that mudslides were not girly, and actually said, "What's not manly about ice cream?" But then, this guy also paints his fingernails on occasion. I hope I'm not too bold to proclaim we are all in agreement on mudslides.

My drink of choice is the Jack and Coke, "America's Favorite Cocktail." Prior to my discovery of whiskey, it was Captain and Coke. I'm also known to enjoy a good margarita at Mexican restaurants or when I feel like becoming a mean SOB. My girlfriend and I currently count 28 different types of liquor here at the compound, not counting little airplane-bottles and such.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 03:15:43 am »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
My drink of choice is the Jack and Coke, "America's Favorite Cocktail."

You can't argue with the 3 Wise Men
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 04:27:10 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Also, some of you are serious drinkers.  Golfhaus:  28 bottles?  Once I had some vodka and Jaegermeister at the same time.  And a six-pack.  I feel so...so...inexperienced.

But I am also heading to Vegas on Wednesday with a longer list of drinks to try.


Well, to be fair, a lot of those are my girlfriend's, who has a preference for neon-colored drinks that require four different bottles of liquor and specialized glassware. When I came home from work last night, she had made some sort of Apple Midori Sours, which required Midori, 99 Apples, and Triple Sec. Potentially some other liquor too. If not for her, I could probably be just as happy with handles of Captain Morgan, Jack Daniels, Barcadi Vanila, and perhaps a little Absolut and Cuervo making up my bar. But the plethora of bottles angers my mother every time she comes over, so it's good for at least that entertainment value.

And I could fit all of the alcohol I consumed up until the age of 25 in a single plastic Soho cup. In the three years since, it's been... considerably more. And Sara has a bottle of Jager here, but I've yet to try it.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 01:21:21 pm »

let's talk about tequlia and how much cuervo sucks for drinking.

suazo (sp?) is very smooth and i never regret not chasing with lime like i inevitably do with cuervo.

i've heard that that sammy hagar shit is actually pretty good but ihave a chip on my shoulder the size of montana this morning and i call bullshit and that there's no way that punk non-55 driving m*!`(^$%#)~! could ever make a good anything let alone tequila.



as for whiskey sour colors
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1625
my ability, as my lady knows, to discern colors and actually identify them in any sensible manner is limited.
but i would call that green.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 02:09:26 pm »

I have a bottle of Sauza here; it's sat unopened for months now. I just don't get into too much tequila, but that may because all I've really had is Cuervo. Perhaps tonight after work I'll take a chance with it.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 03:51:54 pm »

Tequila is my personal favorite.  I remember the good old high school days when my parents always kept a handle of Montezuma, that fine quality clear shit, and I could filch at leisure.

God, that was great.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 06:45:39 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I have a bottle of Sauza here; it's sat unopened for months now. I just don't get into too much tequila, but that may because all I've really had is Cuervo. Perhaps tonight after work I'll take a chance with it.


take a chance.

ok, now i have, when i close my eyes, a little dancing bottle of tequila singing ABBA "take a chance on ME!" in my head.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 07:23:05 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
.

as for whiskey sour colors
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1625
my ability, as my lady knows, to discern colors and actually identify them in any sensible manner is limited.
but i would call that green.


They must mixing weak for you, or using green whiskey. The sour mix I've bought is more yellow, though.
Logged

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 04:30:04 am »

here here for the sidecar.  Classy drink.  I mostly drink vodka sodas when left to my own devices.  Though I will drink Corona.  I'm Mexican, it gives me power.  Like spinich and popeye, put it in me and watch my arm just wind right up
Logged
R U Passionate??

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 02:32:20 pm »

I don't get scotch (or whisky) and coke, always tasted like ass to me, never cared for bourbon or rum either, too sickly, but then maybe I'm not ordering the good stuff.
My go to drink is generally a scotch and dry, CC and dry I have a particular preference for but generally when I'm drinking I'm not overly picky. Normally I end up drinking straight scotch or vodka fairly quickly spaced out with stuff like baileys or the occasional Guiness (I generally detest beer though agree on the previous Corona consensus), then I like to round the night off by trying to convince those I'm with that tequila shots are a good idea.
I've also been playing with a bottle of absinthe my girl brought back for me duty free recently but am yet to find a way I really like to drink it. Tried the different permutations of adding sugar and water but none really made it any better or worse than just drinking it straight to me.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 09:58:10 pm »

Somebody here posted some insight on gin a while ago - it may have been Onstad himself, perhaps cosplaying as Teodor or Cornelius - and suggested a brand that is less sweet than Sapphire or even Beefeater.  Anyone recall?  The search feature is letting me down right now and I'm trying to pick a non-Bombay gin for the pomegranate shooters I'm taking to Thanksgiving.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
So...what y'all drinking?
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 01:23:12 am »

As an update, the booze collection that Sara and I have amassed has grown - we're now at 35 bottles, not including several mixers.

And I've found a drink that breaks all of my old manly/girly rules... I have grown incredibly fond of Lynchburg Lemonades. Not the little bottles in your grocer's watched-over-by-cameras-24/7 section, but the mixed drink. It has become my default beverage at Cheeseburger In Paradise. I would make it more often here, but I'm lazy.

EDIT:

On gin, Sara suggests Tanqueray. "You ever put sugar in your mouth and let it just dissolve? Bombay has an aftertaste kinda like that. Tanqueray doesn't."
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up