Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Poll

Well?

Lileks.com
- 12 (38.7%)
Search engine
- 1 (3.2%)
Recommended by a friend
- 8 (25.8%)
Another dumbrella site
- 9 (29%)
Metafilter
- 1 (3.2%)
Memepool
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: August 01, 2003, 04:52:41 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you discover Achewood?  (Read 12328 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:52:41 pm »

I found it through Lileks.com.  I know at least a few others did.  Vote, then discuss.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 04:58:25 pm »

A friend of mine showed me a couple comics and I was instantly hooked.  I read through the archives in a few hours, a combination of not having anything to do and not being able to stop.  Now I am addicted to it like it is sweet, sweet heroin
Logged

Freddie Fractions

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 04:58:33 pm »

You forgot memepool yo!
Logged

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 04:58:39 pm »

I got wind of Achewood through my girlfriend's friend.  And they both pointed me toward Wigu, as I bear an uncanny resemblance to General Elvis Bot.
Logged

Freddie Fractions

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 05:04:52 pm »

Yeah I did the archives in under a (work) day.  I did that somewhat recently with drewweing.com and slowwave.com too.  It's such a different way to consume webcomics that it's almost a letdown when you have to wait for new ones daily.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 05:09:08 pm »

I answered "... a friend ..." but really it was from some other web developer's blog.

And it's funny, because I read the first few months before I started reading the strip and thought "Lame.  Mega lame.  Christopher Reeves Lame."

But then I saw it come up again and it was the start of the Subway plot line and when Ray said that he could get "Six kinds of nasty..." on a Subway sandwich I just lost it.

And have been reading it every day since, except on weekends.

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 05:19:43 pm »

Quote from: "Freddie Fractions"
Yeah I did the archives in under a (work) day.  I did that somewhat recently with drewweing.com and slowwave.com too.  It's such a different way to consume webcomics that it's almost a letdown when you have to wait for new ones daily.


yes, after reading all of the archives for a comic, it's hard to get adjusted to waiting a 24 hour or more period for the comics.  But then that starts becoming an event of its own either eagerly hitting refresh at night or hurrying to the computer in the morning to get the funny
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 05:21:39 pm »

I can't really remember how I came to it. It was so long ago. I think it was just a link from some other comic book site, I think possibly Elftor actually, and I was looking through a bunch and found Achewood, during I think Ray and Beef's road trip. I then read the archive in like, 2 days and had decided it was the best thing ever!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Jugwine

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 05:35:08 pm »

I found it through Wigu.  For something like two days about a year ago that was all they talked about over there, so I checked it out and plowed through the archives.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 05:54:31 pm »

I actually don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was none of the aforementioned websites.  Just to play it safe, I voted "recommended by a friend," since I know I didn't just randomly stumble onto it.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 05:55:19 pm »

I think it was Lileks for me.  He's a good man, that Lileks.  I should buy him a pizza.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

richter

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.permutation.org
Unix...
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 09:53:23 pm »

I got hooked from the first strip I saw. My friend IM'ed me a link to the "Unix is made by fat people" strip. I laughed outloud at my callcenter job at the time. Got many mean looks. hehe.
Logged
i'll get linda blair all up in this biznatch

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 11:08:19 pm »

Lileks, god bless 'im
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2003, 11:25:33 pm »

Lileks, too.  And I found Lileks from Chowhound.com.  So when Achewood became a comic strip with its own cookbook it all seemed to come full circle.

While Lileks does like pizza, better to thank him by buying his books.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
How did you discover Achewood?
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2003, 11:35:56 pm »

Goats.com, here: technically not a Dumbrella site, but I figured it was close enough for the polls.

I was initially sort of surprised that Lileks was an Achewood fan, but in retrospect it actually fits pretty well.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up