Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th  (Read 5267 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« on: May 10, 2005, 05:36:03 am »

I'm high as hell, so it may temper it a bit when I say that this is the funniest fuck*ng thing in the history of the god-damned world.

FREE THE ANDALUCIA FIVE!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 05:38:36 am »

Why did you not call this thread "Trent Reznor's high school car"

I hear he wrote Pretty Hate Machine in the backseat of that car

My past week has been very Reznor-riffic. I was not expecting this to spill into Achewood.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:42:15 am »

The funniest thing about this strip is Roast Beef asking "Whoah, dogg, is a teacher here?"
Logged

sleepless_medic

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Hellz yeah
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 05:48:45 am »

I agree with Mr. Bozack, even though I am dead sober. This is a good 'un, from "is a teacher here" to the evolution of beef's expressions.
Logged
Just normal stuff: hair, basic clothes and sometimes shoes but not too much

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 06:08:15 am »

Ah, damn, that is the exact car my grandmother still drives. It's even that funny pumpkin orange color. I drove that thing a couple of times and, yes, I can confirm that model of Volvo will make you feel total despair.

I should have had this thing where I took it to the junkyard. I would have been doing my grandmother a favor.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 11:36:19 am »

appropriate soundtrack to this vehicle here
Logged

Suckin_Dick

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 11:50:39 am »

man, talk about brightening up my morning.  now all i can't think of is orange volvos of total despair.  i'm gonna be laughing my ass off during finals.
Logged
suckin dick bought this van.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:10:52 pm »

I'm going to be laughing my ass off during studying-cum-MMORPGing.
Logged
I am older now.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 01:01:58 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
ass off during studying-cum-MMORPGing.


on a totally different topic, i thought the strip was hilarious.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 01:04:24 pm »

I kind of expected Beef to not even notice a difference. What with him having hell of depression and all.

The panel right before he screams is awesom. He actually looks a bit like Molly there.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 01:55:32 pm »

I really have nothing meaningful to say about this strip beyond "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RAD." The only thing that comes to mind is that, as I was reading the thread right after the strip, I thought "you know what would have really helped? Reaction expressions from Ray as Beef screams," and then I tab back to the strip and they're there. Thank you, Mr. Onstad, for apparently having uncanny precognition into what I would want from a strip.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 02:38:35 pm »

I loved this strip.

It brushes against a theme that I like a whole lot.  The idea that a person can have a disability that's also a super-power, but only in a very very narrow context.  Something akin to an idiot savant or John Nash Jr.  I love seeing a character that can't stop doing something -- even though it's ruining his life -- being dropped into a situation where that one thing is exactly what's called for and doing a lot of good.  I can't really say that Beef is doing a lot of good test-driving the doleful volvo, but the idea is still there.

____________
Avatar'd!
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 04:19:46 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
appropriate soundtrack to this vehicle here


This is seriously the best thing I have heard all week. Here are 5 Rad Dollars. (you can use them anywhere)
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 10:35:00 pm »

I love the strip, particularly the bit in the second to last panel where we can't see what is happening to Beef, thats some old school style from Onstad.

But what is Ray holding/doing in the third and fourth panels? I think he might be polishing the car with a cloth or something, but the cloth is weird looking, I thought i tmight be a key with a weird keychain dongly thing at first. Ah well, still funny.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
she checks out okay- Tuesday, May 10th
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 11:43:12 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"
But what is Ray holding/doing in the third and fourth panels? I think he might be polishing the car with a cloth or something, but the cloth is weird looking, I thought i tmight be a key with a weird keychain dongly thing at first. Ah well, still funny.


If it is a keychain, apparently he's keying his own car.

Beef is so full of angst that he's pulling his ear off!  That's my favorite panel in quite some time (maybe since the last panel of this strip.  The second panel in that strip is another classic.)  Good call claiming it Pedro.  Ray's look of concern makes it all the better.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up