Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th  (Read 4010 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« on: May 12, 2005, 09:52:29 am »

An look into the inner workings of Harlequin romance, this one confused me for a moment because I thought Mr. Bear was angry in the fifth panel, when he was obviously just being inspired. Was a little dissapointed he went with the no-brainer.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 10:32:09 am »

Yeah, I thought he was angry as well... like "How dare you think I'd stoop so low as to do Harlequin romance!  hmph!" but then I realised if he can do the Spice channel, well....

Also, I hope that's a year's advance since less than a week isn't very long to do any kind of book.  I mean, I wrote a novel last year which was mostly b.s. and it took 3 weeks for me to get 87 pages out.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 01:01:57 pm »

Yes, but this isn't Mr. Bears first time writing romance novels, in fact I think that used to be (and still is presumably) his semi-occupation. I'm not going to find the strips but I remember him asking Teodore to judge 'The audience not the author' and he certainly wrote childrens books before that , I'm sure we all remember how many whales there are in the ocean....

As for the time limit maybe Mr. Bear is just that good he can chuck it out in a week, just apply standard formulae to get an expected reaction from his audience. I wonder if thats how Onstad sees writing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 01:05:31 pm »

I think he starts all depressed that it's come to this. Then he gets pissed that he's wasting his talents on romances (and that "Kristi" apparently thinks he's a moron) but finally decides to get to work. Maybe he's all, "I'll show them. I'll write the first romance in history that doesn't suck."

[edit: This is where we first learn of his stooping to this level.]
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 01:13:03 pm »

I like how Kristi manages to use three different synonyms for the class difference (I can't think of a 4th, sorry).  Clearly, these are not the same novel.

Also, I appreciate how Cornelius does not simply go for the easy buck.  He clearly picked the story that struck his muse.  That's just the kind of bear he is.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 01:29:24 pm »

I think he's angry because of the schedule.  Criminy, they're asking him to pump out one of these things every two or three days.  Even when you're writing crap, that's a lot.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lloyd

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.alligevel.blogspot.com
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 01:32:36 pm »

Will love find a way? [Cornelius: Yes].

That line made me laugh out loud. Kristi certainly seems to be both patronizing, annoying and eager to fill the romantic novel market with encounters spanning the depths of social hierarchy.

I wonder if Cornelius considers this a step up compared to subtitling the Spice Channel?

A friend of mine had this theory that what girls like to watch or read about is all the stuff between the actual hanky-panky: the intrigue, the drama, the impossible love that finds a way. While boys generally just like to watch or read about is just the basic no frills hanky-panky.

Mr. Bear is truly showing his versatility catering the needs of both groups, though not, apparently, at the same time.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 01:58:13 pm »

A whole strip, just for Cornelius. Ahhhhhh... shit be good on this fine day.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 03:00:31 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
A whole strip, just for Cornelius. Ahhhhhh... shit be good on this fine day.

I am beginning to suspect you may have a character preference, Mr. Golfhaus.

Anyway, I think this strip is funny whether you read Cornelius's expression as inspiration or as righteous indignation. Maybe as both. I do like the thought of FURIOUS MUSE CORNELIUS.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 03:08:46 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I think he starts all depressed that it's come to this. Then he gets pissed that he's wasting his talents on romances (and that "Kristi" apparently thinks he's a moron) but finally decides to get to work. Maybe he's all, "I'll show them. I'll write the first romance in history that doesn't suck."

[edit: This is where we first learn of his stooping to this level.]


I don't think that Kristi thinks he is a moron. I think she knows he is the type to write a story without a happy ending to emphasize the poignant, fleeting nature of life.
Logged

rrh

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 03:17:54 pm »

I read it as Cornelius planning to undermine Kristi's assumptions about class barriers.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 04:09:14 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I am beginning to suspect you may have a character preference, Mr. Golfhaus.


My girlfriend said last week that one of these days we'll go to one of those make-your-own-teddy-bear shops and make a Mr. Bear. With the glasses and the little robe and everything.

I am a 28-year-old man, reduced to getting blubbery over the prospect of getting a teddy bear. This is what Achewood has done to me.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 04:09:54 pm »

I read it as he was kind of frustrated that he was basically forced into one plot.

Creativity smothering aside, this would be a pretty sweet gig if you could get it.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 04:50:45 pm »

I like how Cornelius has found a way to create a synthesis of all three plots - I only wonder if they'll pay him all three fees for it.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Arrondissement Neuff - Thursday May 12th
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 04:55:23 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I like how Cornelius has found a way to create a synthesis of all three plots - I only wonder if they'll pay him all three fees for it.


i wonder if they could just slap three different covers on the story and sell it as three different books?

or, given the product in question, is that a stupid question?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up