Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood Wiki  (Read 38492 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood Wiki
« on: May 13, 2005, 03:36:36 am »

Hey kids,

It's all set up, using the same software as Wikipedia.

Have at it.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:45:19 am »

The blank page is kind of daunting. Someone else go first.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 06:30:21 am »

Hey Jough,

Is there any way we can set it up to have Wikipedia-like URL's, such as

http://achewood.saddestthing.com/wiki/Achewater

instead of

http://achewood.saddestthing.com/wiki/index.php?title=Achewater&rcid=2

to make it a little easier?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a idiot. I first got to the Achewater page via the recent changes link, and that did it.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 07:10:05 am »

I was messing around with mod_rewrite earlier to try to get rid of the "index.php" in the URL, but I kept getting 500 errors and I'm not sure why.  I couldn't seem to make the PHP rewriting and mod_rewrite work together, so I left the server-side rewriting alone and just let MediaWiki handle the URL string.

But yeah, the long URI is annoying, but as long as you can create new pages and edit things it shouldn't be a problem.

The forums are going to be relocating to:

http://achewood.saddestthing.com/forums/  too, making the URI slightly longer.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 07:34:35 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
The blank page is kind of daunting. Someone else go first.


Done! It looks like Jough and I are taking turns tonight creating several pages that should serve as good jumping-off points. When you decide to hop in, make sure you visit the Main Page's discussion page. It appears Jough has been agreeable to my suggestion to make that the place to discuss questions of style in the Achewiki.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 07:55:54 am »

Also, if someone has more experience with Wikipedia than I do (like, almost everyone fits this category) could someone please start something on the Help page there about how to do things like make links, bold and italicize things, indent, make horizontal rules, headings, etc.

I'm sure there are more subtle things, and I know the little buttons at the top of the edit windows shed some light on how to do that stuff, but it would be nice to have a Wiki editing reference in one concise page.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 08:17:42 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Also, if someone has more experience with Wikipedia than I do (like, almost everyone fits this category) could someone please start something on the Help page there about how to do things like make links, bold and italicize things, indent, make horizontal rules, headings, etc.


I will try to make that an ongoing project of mine over the next couple days.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 06:52:32 am »

something tells me I should consult a guide of some sort before trying to screw with this any further. I think I got rid of everything I accidentally added on other people's stuff. All that remains is my un-logged-in addendum to Click *****. Sorry.

Oh my god I am so sorry
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 07:36:22 am »

There is no way you can mess up the Wiki, dude.

It keeps pretty much every revision ever made - we can go back to any version of the page and restore it.  We control the horizontal.  We control the vertical, etc.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 05:41:30 pm »

I just added on the part about the readership of Achewood.  Please edit to your hearts content.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 05:53:37 pm »

Oh boy I edited something.  I corrected a typo in the little nephew section.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 08:17:29 pm »

Thanks, Jough, this is fun!
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 09:30:31 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I just added on the part about the readership of Achewood.  Please edit to your hearts content.


Where?
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 04:12:03 am »

To anyone who wants to play along, but is worried about screwing something up and breaking it:

Go to the main page. I have created a link there to a Sandbox, a test page where you can play around and learn how to use the site before jumping in to a live page. And like Jough said, even if you do make a mistake and can't figure out how to fix it, fear not. Someone will come along and revert to a previous edit in due time.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Achewood Wiki
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 01:20:30 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "side_show"
I just added on the part about the readership of Achewood.  Please edit to your hearts content.


Where?


Well it was on the main page, but it appears that it is now gone.  I guess I suck too much.  When I look at the recent updates section, I'm not even listed there, so maybe I'm just techno-tarded, but when I made the update, I checked back later in the day and it was there, so I dunno....  Techno-tard strikes again!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up