Okay. My local-brand box's win2k installation finally died on me, so I thought I'd try to revive the system with a FOSS OS. Wisely in the past, I used Fat32 to format my drives, scoffing at the closed-to-everybody-but-Microsoft NTFS.
Using the work laptop, I burnt a quick LiveCD of Knoppix, with which I booted the dead box and backed up my data files to CD-R. I then proceeded to burn an installer of Kubuntu (it's just Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome), which didn't work. Couldn't, wouldn't work. At all. Never got through the installer.
Realizing that Kubuntu perhaps wasn't mature enough to use, I figured Mandrake would be a good choice. They've changed their name (surprisingly) to Mandriva (huh?) and the installer is 3 CDs long, as my dead box has no DVD drive. Downloaded ISOs, burnt to CD, and began the install.
FIVE TIMES I had to try the install. FOUR TIMES it hung before it finished. Now, I've finally gotten an "Install Successful!" message, and after a reboot, a login prompt.
Here's the thing. On install try 4, I specified a username. I was never, ever asked for a password.
Is it me, or does this make absolutely no sense whatsoever? Is there a default password for the first login? How the hell can I get into this new system?
Somebody help me, and quick, so I can save $1500 by NOT going out and buying a Mac Mini + 19" Apple Cinema Display.