Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith  (Read 9461 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« on: May 19, 2005, 07:27:09 pm »

It was OK.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:37:41 pm »

Foot Foot has spoken.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 09:25:27 pm »

My pal's name is....Jar Jar ( Jar Jar )

He always likes to roam

My pal's name is... Jar Jar ( Jar Jar )

I never find him home

I go to his house, knock at his door

People say Jar Jar don't live here no more
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 10:28:32 pm »

I thought it was good. And 10 times better than the other prequels, that's for sure.

They did a good job of making Anakin's turn to the dark side a bit more complex than anyone was expecting. Palpatine's seduction of Anakin  was very well played out, and I will admit I actually felt bad that Anakin had to turn, which I was not expecting from this movie.

The whole final hour of the movie was pretty great, actually. Especially some of the final shots. I thought it clicked quite nicely with A New Hope.

It still had plenty of flaws. The acting, Natalie Portman in particular, was bad. The dialouge was quite often worse. Darth Vader should never every yell "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

But still, it was a fun time, and it's a little bit sad that this is it. There will never be event movies like this again.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 11:34:03 pm »

I wonder if I am the only person nerdy enough to know there are supposed to be three more movies, numbers 7-9?  I don't suppose they plan to make them, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 12:41:57 am »

Quote from: "Max"
I wonder if I am the only person nerdy enough to know there are supposed to be three more movies, numbers 7-9?  I don't suppose they plan to make them, though.

Last I heard Lucas isn't goint to make those 3. The books that came out in the 90's are considered canon now.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 01:09:26 am »

Quote from: "Max"
I wonder if I am the only person nerdy enough to know there are supposed to be three more movies, numbers 7-9?  I don't suppose they plan to make them, though.

My guess is that at some point Lucas will retire or die and whomever takes possesion of the rights will eventually rape it's creatively dead corpse until it weeps tears from the grave.

Star Wars in the 70's, Great use of low budget effects in the best damned action movies ever.

Star Wars in the 00's, Awesome CGI in sub par comic adventure movies.

Star Wars in the 30's, <weeps>

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 05:14:08 am »

First of all, I must say as someone who was critical of the first two new episodes that Revenge of the Sith is very, very good.

Sure, Portman can't act her way out of a paper bag (I don't know what that means either) but she's very pretty and her dialogue was mostly functional anyway.

But other than the love story the dialogue was actually very smart, very sophistocated.  I mean, listen to how Palpatine seduces and twists Anakin.  Very convincing, although it seemed a little too easy to me.

But overall the special effects were not the most important part of the film, and the performances were adequate, except for Ian McDiarmid who was brilliant, and Ewan McGregor who was also very good.  

There wasn't much "cute" in this film, which kept it from being horrid and eye-roll worthy.  Even the little bit of comic relief from R2 was handled pretty well.

Overall, this is the movie we all wished Episode I was.  If this came out instead of the Phantom Menace back in 1999 we'd all be salivating for the next two chapters (which obviously would have to focus on the 20 year interim until the events of A New Hope.

Overall, I think it was the best after Empire Strikes Back, and that includes the original Star Wars.  And this one changes how I see the original trilogy - it makes the first three movies better.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 01:34:54 pm »

Ian McDiarmid's dialogue was the best dialogue/performance of the movie. His lines were very naturally delivered, rather than some of the stulted, radio-drama-style dialogue exhibited by other characters, especially during his description of Darth Plagis.

But I am not going to continue on that tack. I am going to relate a story of, how, walking out of the theatre last night, I was behind a character in a black hooded robe. I loudly commented about how lame it was that someone would dress like a Sith (or Jedi) and come watch Star Wars, and how that was just pathetic, etc. etc.

The hooded character turned around and gave me a dirty look and it was at that point I realized: It was not a geek dressed like a Sith, it was a Pakistani woman in a hijab.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 02:15:02 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
The hooded character turned around and gave me a dirty look and it was at that point I realized: It was not a geek dressed like a Sith, it was a Pakistani woman in a hijab.


Ha Ha!

/Nelson Muntz
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 04:06:28 pm »

Well, I wrote up some thoughts.  May as well not repost them here:

http://jough.com/2005/05/20/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 04:18:41 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, I wrote up some thoughts.  May as well not repost them here:

http://jough.com/2005/05/20/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/


This made me laugh:

Quote

* Nooooooooooooooooooo!
Cheesy!


Also, "Jedi Spookyvision" will totally be the name of my band.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 04:25:36 pm »

Jough you're list of negatives was much longer than you're list of positives.

What i'm hearing is it's a vast improvement over ep. I and II, but not a match of the original series.

Fair enough, should be decent, but forgettable.

I'm going to see it tonight.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 04:49:52 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Jough you're list of negatives was much longer than you're list of positives.


Yes, but how is this anything new?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 04:52:50 pm »

Also, to re-Achewoodize this, I like to think that one of Lyle's Sani-Taco porno movies was a terrible Star Wars parody that had him in the starring role of Hung Cholo.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up