Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This place is dead.  (Read 3826 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
This place is dead.
« on: August 21, 2003, 02:03:05 pm »

Not only in terms of attendance, but in terms of actual discussion.
Why?  Possible reasons:

1.  Discussions attracted a lot more people because of the direct link on achewood.com.  

2.  There are lots of registered dumbrella users who would join in the achewood chat but don't care enough to register for a whole other board.

3.  Most of the posters on the previous board were posing and strutting for Onstad's attention.  Now that he's gone, people don't bother.

I think all of these are partial reasons, but I am a strong believer in #3.  I think a big attraction of these message boards is that people get to interact with the artist (or at least know he/she is listening).  Does this mean Onstad should be participating?  No.  But I just think it's interesting how the discussion level has dropped off, and also has become far more parochial and self-referential.

So there's my observation, as long as we're being self-referential.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
This place is dead.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 03:38:12 pm »

I’m not dissatisfied with the level of discussion, nor would I call this forum ‘dead.’
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
This place is dead.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 04:26:30 pm »

Quote from: "satchel"
I’m not dissatisfied with the level of discussion, nor would I call this forum ‘dead.’


Quite, it's just a very different little scene since it moved. And, well, there's not a lot can be done about that even if it was to change.
I, for one, prefer it as is. Less of the flaming and greater levels of magnanimity.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
This place is dead.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 04:33:22 pm »

maybe there's an rstevens out there who'd link other folks here when they're looking for achewood, seeing as how there isn't even a single mention of us over here on achewood.com - seems the 'stad could put a link in the about section or something, somewhere he could completely ignore it. (as if he actually ignores us)

i'm thinking we change the name, widen the fora, and invite whomever we know AND LIKE. Maintain the achewood section, of course, but not everything fits into the sights/smells/touches/tastes/sounds categories: crossovers are difficult to place.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
This place is dead.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 04:45:34 pm »

I'm pleased with the board as it is -- having Achewood in common necessarily limits the number and scope of the membership, and it's an indicator of a specific kind of cerebral humor that seems to work well in a message board format.  So I'd be strongly opposed to inviting non-Acheheads on board -- we don't want everyone on the 'net dropping in around here.  

Second, the non-Achewood fora can certainly be changed -- as far as I know, Jough just sort of threw them up there to keep down the signal-to-noise ratio in the upper fora.  I thought using the senses was clever, so I left it.  Alternative suggestions are welcome.  

Perhaps in a few more weeks when Onstad has cooled off he'll be kind enough to offer us a link.  Until then, we're in google if anyone needs us.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
This place is dead.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 05:03:12 pm »

It's funny, over at Dumbrella I just saw a thread the other day about how the DS board has gone so incredibly far off topic that a new board had to be started to actually talk about the comic. A few people liked the one massive OT board and thought the "Big Fat Music Talk" and so on were just silly, then compared them to this sites many OT fora.

I think we all knew things would die off after the first week or so but I thought we'd bring more Dumbrella people with us.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
This place is dead.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 06:02:53 pm »

I don't see the purpose in broadening things out, because at that point we're just the "People Who Originally Liked Achewood But Now Just Sort of Talk About Anything" board.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current posting density of the board; sure, it's slowed down, but no-longer-brand-new boards do that. If it is a problem, I think we can still afford some time to see if things are sustainable.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 06:04:41 pm »

The Dumbrella people have no love for Onstad or Achewood. WIGU is the only strip there that still links Achewood.

We live in a gated community now. That keeps out the wandering loonies, but we’re also invisible to those whom we’d like to attract.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
This place is dead.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 06:14:33 pm »

Everybody on the Dumbrella boards likes Achewood. I speculate that the value of this board is still in the process of proving itself.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

V-Adore

  • Guest
This place is dead.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 06:19:39 pm »

It's also hard to say how things will pan out with Dumbrella right now because the whole thing is still pretty fresh and still active -- the 'stad's still being a little squirrelly and all. As a few more weeks pass, if things quiet down, I'm sure people will start getting a bit more reasonable; I'm not sure whether to expect Onstad to ever link to us, but rstevens and the Artist Formerly Known As J-Ro may help us out.

All in all... give it time, folks. Just give it time.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
This place is dead.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2003, 05:19:11 pm »

Guesswork: Onstad won't be linking to us, so breath-holding is strongly discouraged. RStevens comes here now and then - I think the folks who want to will. I'd be happy to see JRo here, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
This place is dead.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2003, 07:06:40 pm »

Also as far as the load having lightened, I find that quite good 'cause it means it doesn't detract from me having other things to do as much. The first week it was difficult to drop in and not find a million things to post about, or to check up on fairly often, but the last coupla weeks has been much easier. Not that I'm an especially busy person, but it's easier to get on with the things I have to if I'm not always being distracted by things.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up