Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005  (Read 7011 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:49:36 am »

Meh.

toddster

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 08:46:57 am »

I liked this one quite a bit; maybe because I like it when Onstad uses Téodor as a way of letting out his inner music nerd.

I do think that 5% is a little low for GBV, and waaaay too high for Merritt.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 11:28:11 am »

Now I know why I never liked Coldplay, it's because they are ripping off U2 who I also never liked.

Philippe has a newspaper now, when did that happen?

~Paul

Actually U2 are OK in my opinion, i'm just not blown away by them ala Michael Madsen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 12:03:48 pm »

Oh come on! "...blew him so hard she broke her arm". COME ON!

Jough, you have been spoiled by Achewood's above-average writing for so long, it's starting to become commonplace! He "remained seriously blown"!

That is the good stuff.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 12:10:12 pm »

I think it was spot on about Courtney Love.  In fact, I bet that part wasn't even satire, it was just news that actually happened.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 12:55:35 pm »

Quote from: "southworth813"
Jough, you have been spoiled by Achewood's above-average writing for so long, it's starting to become commonplace!

Jough often plays the role of the lone voice of dissent in a room filled with fawning uncritical praise.  And almost as often it's a much needed splash of cold water in the face.  Not everything Onstad writes is solid gold.  Personally I liked today's strip, but yesterday was much better.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 01:06:45 pm »

Yeah, I even dislike most of the people he was making fun of (Except for Stephen Merritt) and I thought this was pretty lame.  Maybe it is just because I have that problem where jokes about vegans aren't as funny to me as they could be?

(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 01:19:37 pm »

The Michael Stipe joke had severe problems with unfunniness, yeah. And otherwise... eh. A couple of funny moments, but otherwise the look of a filler strip. Maybe I am just spoiled.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 01:23:08 pm »

I'm way too suggestable when it comes to music so I tend to like stuff that I'm later told is crappy (see: Sum 41's 1st two albums). So when I read stuff like this I'm always like, "so is this music actually crappy and I'm a sheep for liking it, or is the guy who wrote this just going all Indie Rock Pete on me?"
Logged

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 01:23:47 pm »

Completely spoiled :P

If I were able to write this, people would be lining up to perform fellatio on me, at great risk to their upper extremities.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:26:56 pm »

I spent all last weekend hanging out with vegans and vegetarians.  They were all great people and great artist.  I'm trying to eat less meat because I want to be more like them.

Quote from: "andalucia"
(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)

What could possibly be funny about wanting to be more healthy, compassionate towards animals, and concerned about the welfare of our planet?

Quote from: "a superlame joke site"
I don't know about these people who call themselves vegetarians but eat eggs and dairy. I mean, I've heard of eggplants, but there no such thing as a cheesetree.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 01:29:18 pm »

NO DISCUSSION OF THE RELATIVE VALUES OF VARIOUS FOOD PREFERENCES HERE. TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE, PEOPLE.

There. Preemptive modding done.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 01:30:31 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "a superlame joke site"
I don't know about these people who call themselves vegetarians but eat eggs and dairy. I mean, I've heard of eggplants, but there no such thing as a cheesetree.

~Paul


Huh.  Pat's writing jokes now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 01:34:24 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm way too suggestable when it comes to music so I tend to like stuff that I'm later told is crappy (see: Sum 41's 1st two albums). So when I read stuff like this I'm always like, "so is this music actually crappy and I'm a sheep for liking it, or is the guy who wrote this just going all Indie Rock Pete on me?"


If you like it, how can it be crappy?  Screw what anybody else thinks -- if you enjoy a work of art on some level then it has value, at least to you.  Why do we need someone to tell us what we should enjoy?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 01:50:54 pm »

What he said.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up