Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005  (Read 7030 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 02:26:30 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Why do we need someone to tell us what we should enjoy?

We don't, people like what they like and criticism is just opinion after all,  but often times the opinions of critics form a consensus which becomes conventional wisdom.  One doesn't have to buy it, but you might find yourself alone defending the solo work of Paul McCartney.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 02:30:19 pm »

Point of fact: Michael Stipe was on Mario Batali's show a couple of years ago, pimping some film he exec-produced. To the best of my recollection, he ate everything but the meat dish, and politely declined any cheese. Neither he nor Mario mentioned his name. This was perhaps the most gracefully he has ever behaved in his life.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 03:59:31 pm »

i like how this comic is devoted to fleshing out the character of a specific character.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 04:25:01 pm »

See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.  Teodor goes all over the place, he has no central defining traits like the others.  He's never been clear to me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 04:34:00 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.  Teodor goes all over the place, he has no central defining traits like the others.  He's never been clear to me.

I think that's why I like him. Teodor is the most real of them since he can't be boiled down to just one adjective. He also seems to be the only one to routinely call Bullshit on Ray.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 04:38:29 pm »

Yeah Teodor has long been my favorite.  He's a complex character and I like when he calls BS on Ray.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 05:08:53 pm »

My girlfriend would be pissed about that Coldplay thing.

And come on folks. seriously blown. if this is medicore Achewood, it's A+ anything else.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 06:31:19 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)


I realize I'm late on this, but were they unfunny jokes about vegans or were they unfunny jokes which did not consume animal products?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 10:15:42 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "andalucia"
(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)


I realize I'm late on this, but were they unfunny jokes about vegans or were they unfunny jokes which did not consume animal products?


Well, both, I'd assume.
Logged
goose means greedy

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 10:18:05 pm »

File this one under '[Paris Hilto] Rant'.  Language is funny of course, Onstad can do it in his sleep.  But this thinly veiled, unsurpsrising social commentary taking the place of characters and plot is, well, just not that rad.
Logged

rrh

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 11:49:51 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.


Ah, but Teodor can still hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 12:50:14 am »

Quote from: "rrh"
Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.


Ah, but Teodor can still hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.


Yep.  And is this the debut of Charley Smuckles two strips later?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2005, 06:09:48 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "rrh"
Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.


Ah, but Teodor can still hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.


Yep.  And is this the debut of Charley Smuckles two strips later?


Damn! The shinin' just gets outer!

Wait, that don't sound right.

The oushinin' keeps on happenin'! That better?

I do believe it is he, with the backpack.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2005, 03:02:38 pm »

Teodor routinely plays the roles of closeted homosexual, everyman, guy who is cool without effort (we all know these people!) and (IMO) Onstad himself.
Which begs the question....why is there no "Which Achewood character are you?" type quiz?
Even an ironic one would be good!
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 03:35:10 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
Teodor routinely plays the roles of closeted homosexual...


Wait, huh?  How so?
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up