Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking  (Read 6191 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« on: May 24, 2005, 04:26:14 pm »

This strip wins. I am tired and harried and may have more to say about it later, but for now it just wins.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 04:40:10 pm »

Man, what complete despair.  Roast Beef really was much happier when he was 239,000 miles from The Cure.

I still want to see Mr. Bear in the Volvo, though.  His despair would likely be quite entertaining.

acoxcae
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 04:43:28 pm »

Today's strip caused me to learn what the word 'busking' meant.  Achewood is about education.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 04:49:01 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Today's strip caused me to learn what the word 'busking' meant.  Achewood is about education.


I've been trying to figure out what segment of the population it is that is familiar with the term.  I'd thought it might just be a Canadian word after some of my American friends didn't know it.  Anyways, whoever you people are, it's your loss.  busker busker busk.  It is a useful word.

I'm not really all that much into this storyline but I did get a kick out of the way Beef's application of eyeliner consisted in drawing circles around his eyes, which makes a pleasant kind of cartoon sense.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 04:56:15 pm »

So wait, Trent Reznor liked The Cure? Or is the presence of that tape just to increase the despair level, due to it's non-radness?

Bobby, did you get a job writing Chris's alt-text?
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 05:34:38 pm »

Busking is used in jolly old england quite a bit.
It's begging but with music!
Love this strip but peeps need to leave The Cure alone.
Disintegration is a great album!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 07:04:27 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
Love this strip but peeps need to leave The Cure alone.

Onstad Started it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 07:29:57 pm »

I learned "busking" from Moxy Fruvous, God bless 'em. Anyway, the stuff is probably Ray's; he no doubt pimped out the Volvo just to make it more totally despairing.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 08:27:56 pm »

Clearly, my favorite new word is "nincompoopery."

Onstad knows to give the people what they want, too. And what they want is more pictures of Ray sticking his tongue out.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 09:15:10 pm »

Panel 6 is the best silent panel in recent memory, for me anyway.  Just looking at it makes me chuckle.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

V-Adore

  • Guest
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 09:18:04 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Panel 6 is the best silent panel in recent memory, for me anyway.  Just looking at it makes me chuckle.

Panel 6 is also totally rad, yes. That said, my favorite new detail may be what I just now noticed going back to look at said panel: the ambiguity as to whether Beef is using the shoe polish on his hair or whether he is using the shoe polish to draw Hair of Despair on himself. Rad.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 01:29:02 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I've been trying to figure out what segment of the population it is that is familiar with the term.  I'd thought it might just be a Canadian word after some of my American friends didn't know it.


Busking is a common term is Australia too, this makes me think it may have a strong link to english culture and just been one of those words that America decided to just forget about.
Or maybe you guys just don't have talented beggars over there? Which is a shame because buskers can be seriously awesome.

I'm still kind of wondering where Onstad is going with this, last time Beef got freaked out in a vehicle he ended up going over a cliff so anything's possible. My money is on paying a visit to Molly though.

And the eyeliner makes him look like he's got his eyes wide open so I keep thinking he's just looking really really intense, for Beef anyway.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 03:49:54 am »

I like it so much, I made it my icon!  I was happy to get the Reznor-riffing that I did, but I never expected it to go this far.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 11:46:42 am »

Quote from: "Doc"
I'm still kind of wondering where Onstad is going with this, last time Beef got freaked out in a vehicle he ended up going over a cliff so anything's possible. My money is on paying a visit to Molly though.

Are you writing the strip now?


~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
24 May '05 -- a skeleton busking
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 12:38:23 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Doc"
I'm still kind of wondering where Onstad is going with this, last time Beef got freaked out in a vehicle he ended up going over a cliff so anything's possible. My money is on paying a visit to Molly though.

Are you writing the strip now?


~Paul


Apparently so.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up