Gosh, golfhaus, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I am so ridiculously attached to my cats, it's not even funny. I love animals, and their unconditional love has helped me through many a hard time. I don't think I would have made it up here on this godforsaken Alaskan rock in the middle of the Bering Sea without "the boys", Milan and Lennybruce. I have bad allergies to cats and dogs, but that doesn't stop me from picking up my cats and kissing their wee little noggins. I get fur up my nose and have sneezing fits, and my sinuses swell up, and my eyes get all watery, but I just take Alavert or Claritin like it's candy, and it's all good. Some things are worth it, and "the boys" are definitely worth it.
Your story about Tiger reminds me of a good friend of mine, who had a 23-year old cat named Golda. It nearly killed her when she had to have the vet euthanize her cat.
I am seriously afraid of the day where Milan and Lenny will no longer be with me. However, it reminds me of that scene in "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" where Jim Carrey's character walks into the Lacuna office. He sees a grieving woman clutching photos of her dog, the dog's leash, food bowl, etc. At that moment I realized that no matter how painful it is when Milan and Lenny die, I would never want their memory erased. There's the well-known quote about "it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all," and I definitely think it's true.
As far as dealing with grief, there was an article today on NPR about a new type of therapy that helps people deal with grief.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4674922Personally, I had PTSD and a host of other comorbid afflictions due to some fucked up stuff that happened to me as a little kid and teenager. EMDR, or
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, really helped me with that. Your mileage may vary.
Zartan, I could not agree with you more. People who hurt animals and children...well, let's just say that there's a special place in hell for those sons of bitches. Gah, I am getting all choked up. I had better bring this to a close.
Kitties are the best. I love them so much. Tiger, I am sure that you are in kittyheaven getting all the love and brushies that you so richly deserve. Peace.