Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05  (Read 4624 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:44:05 am »

See, once more Onstad has irrevocably changed a phrase I use quite a lot!
He's like Shakespeare, in so far as he's adding to the ol' lexicon.
Also loving Ray's smirk when Beef puts on the medallion.
Ray is basically a good guy.
Logged

lloyd

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.alligevel.blogspot.com
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:48:36 am »

I love how Onstad manages to tell so much about Beef's change of temperament just through Ray's reaction:

"Okay, uh huh, right. I, uh... Ray loves you too."

This basically implies that Beef is so mellow at this point that he would actually say not only that he loves Ray, but that he would refer to himself in the third person in order to do so.

I see tears of joy streaming down Beef's face, all welling up with previously unacknowledged emotion. Inevitably too sweet for Beef.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:15:16 pm »

Everyone within reason is invited? I wonder if that includes Todd.

Also, I first read that as "if Queen woke you up" and I can't decide if that would be more special or less than "the Queen"
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 02:22:35 pm »

Zombie Freddie Mercury!
Brian May punishing his axe, his amps tied to your bedposts, blood dribbling fom your nose.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 02:33:07 pm »

Quote from: "lloyd"
I love how Onstad manages to tell so much about Beef's change of temperament just through Ray's reaction:

"Okay, uh huh, right. I, uh... Ray loves you too."

This basically implies that Beef is so mellow at this point that he would actually say not only that he loves Ray, but that he would refer to himself in the third person in order to do so.

I see tears of joy streaming down Beef's face, all welling up with previously unacknowledged emotion. Inevitably too sweet for Beef.


I thought the 'Ray loves you too' was just because Ray likes to refer to himself in the third person.

Agreee that the smirk on panel 9 is awesome, but I like the little look of anticipation in panel 4.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:12:01 pm »

I'll admit to being pretty much underwhelmed with this arc.  However, this is a great strip.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 03:16:45 pm »

Quote from: "lloyd"
I love how Onstad manages to tell so much about Beef's change of temperament just through Ray's reaction:

I have to agree, Onstad's writing elevates the 'talking head' style comic to a new level.  I also like the sense from the change of angles that Ray is kind of pacing around, slightly jittery, it holds still while he is happy that Beef is going to be ok, but starts again once it gets, well, Too Special.

I'm suprised it had such a profound effect on Beef though, but maybe its just the result of his hella-depression, when he goes the other way he goes all the way.

This is certainly what Beef must look like right now though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 03:32:02 pm »

AHA!
So, Achewood = Cheers.
Therefore if I find a "which Cheer's character are you most like?" 'net quiz then i'll have found and Achewood personality quiz as well.
Hurrah!

http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=phoebegirl

Shit! I'm Diane.
Logged

gearnest

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • Prewar Gibson Banjos
the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 04:05:38 pm »

I didn't think he had any clothes (and therefore no pockets) except when he's wearing the short-sleeved dress shirt and tie, writing code. . .  :?:
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Re: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 04:12:32 pm »

Quote from: "gearnest"
I didn't think he had any clothes (and therefore no pockets) except when he's wearing the short-sleeved dress shirt and tie, writing code. . .  :?:


You have a point, and more importantly, a website about vintage banjos.  As such, I think you will fit in well here.  Hi!
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 04:22:05 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
.
Also, I first read that as "if Queen woke you up" and I can't decide if that would be more special or less than "the Queen"


Me too, and I was definitely disappointed when I noticed the 'the'.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

gearnest

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • Prewar Gibson Banjos
Re: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 04:23:26 pm »

Wow. . . that must mean I typed in my URL correctly!  Amazing. . .
Thanks for the welcome.  I discovered Achewood a little less than a year ago and it has become a part of my daily routine.  I e-mailed Onstad a while back when the banjo was featured in one of the arcs and found out that he is a budding player himself.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 04:50:58 pm »

Welcome, gearnest. You'll fit in fine.

Anyway, this is a good strip. I particularly like that we're not actually seeing Chochaco-Possessed Beef, because the mental images are way more precious than anything 'stad could have actually written. I am still not sure whether or not this is all based on an art error, but hey.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 05:37:14 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Welcome, gearnest. You'll fit in fine.

Anyway, this is a good strip. I particularly like that we're not actually seeing Chochaco-Possessed Beef, because the mental images are way more precious than anything 'stad could have actually written. I am still not sure whether or not this is all based on an art error, but hey.


Chochacho doesn't possess. He merely facilitates a good time.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 06:07:28 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Everyone within reason is invited? I wonder if that includes Todd.

Also, I first read that as "if Queen woke you up" and I can't decide if that would be more special or less than "the Queen"


It's really special when "A Queen" wakes you up. Especially when you don't remember going to sleep. Or where you are.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up