Here's my confession: I like to mark out more or less completely while watching wrestling, and then analyze / smark it up afterwards. Of course, when the product is shit, it shatters the suspension of disbelief, but generally speaking, my attitude is no different from when I'd watch a movie or go see a play - I want to receive the performance as it was meant to be received, which is, I'll admit, tricky with wrestling as there are so many layers of performance involved and the fan's knowledge of / interaction with the sport is more or less factored into the crafting of that performance.
Basically, I don't care how much I know about what's going on behind the scenes; in the heat of the moment, I want my HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT moments (I watched that Canadian Destroyer GIF like twenty times in a row last night) and, with a good product, I get them. That's why I enjoy watching older matches (pre-McMahon's testimony / "sports entertainment") - even if the partici##### are over the top, straining credulity with their appearance and action, the announcers are calling it completely straight. Gordon Solie was so good for this; the man had such a classic sportscaster demeanor and voice. Listening to him at times, it's hard to believe he was in on the game, if you know what I mean. I wish I could find more recordings of matches he called with some of the old greats.
Cort's given me shit before for saying that I like JR, but I do, pretty much for the same reasons I liked Gorilla Monsoon - they're just blatantly blustery face announcers who, at the worst of times, simply CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY'RE SEEING. Monsoon and Heenan together was magic.