Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrestling Thread Starter  (Read 13972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2005, 01:11:08 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I believe it finshed up with Raven vs. Punk in A Clockwork Orange House of Fun match.

Oh, now you're just making stuff up.

PLEASE, tell me you're just making stuff up.

Actually now that they're on TV they've dropped the Clockwork Orange part. Basically there's a section of chain-link fence hanging down in the ring with various weapons attached to it. Raven invented it and reference like that are his thing. Every promo ends with "Nevermore," his finisher is called the Evenflow, &c.

Quote
t took Wikipedia for me to learn about the Lita/Edge thing. Not real clear on the details of why this ended up with Matt being the one out of a job

Had he kept it to himself they'd just move him to Smackdown and that would've been that. But since he whined in his blog they decided that he couldn't co-exist with Lita and Edge anymore so somebody had to go. Since he's been off TV for month while the other 2 have been major title contenders it was an easy decision for them.

Anyway, draft time. Any thoughts on the first pick?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2005, 02:07:54 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i enjoy wrestling but have not been watching for quite a bit due to punishment.

AW- memphis wrestling is still (or it was 6? months ago...) alive and well on saturday morning memphis television, still with superstar dundee, jimmy hart, and the king.

i think victoria came outta the memphis scene, but she seemed to have gotten signifigantly buffer.  hmmm.


Really?  I would think that Superstar would be in his 60's now.  Dang.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2005, 02:41:54 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Really?  I would think that Superstar would be in his 60's now.  Dang.


Spoken like a man who didn't see two chunky guys in camouflage drive like an eighty-year-old woman through a table.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 01:25:35 am »

Well damn. So does that mean the oft-predicted champion switch is happening or will SD have to trade like 19 people to Raw to get Cena back?
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 03:02:07 am »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
I think my heart momentarily stopped when Skipper goes for the hurracanrana...off the top of the cage!


HOLY SHIT THAT WAS GREAT

Seriously, that was an incredible match. Thank you CortJstr. I didn't realize until it was all wrapped up, but the pacing was just about perfect - which, in my experience, can be tricky with cage matches.

Cellardoor mentioned the Ric Flair DVD collection - that's the only wrestling DVD set I own, at the moment, and it is pretty much everything a fan could hope for from a collection like that: all the promos / skirmishes / interviews leading up to the big matches, then aftermath - if I remember right, it's like nine hours of material, putting it all into context. Are there any other DVD collections (available or announced) that measure up to this standard?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 03:26:46 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "cellardoor"
I think my heart momentarily stopped when Skipper goes for the hurracanrana...off the top of the cage!

Seriously, that was an incredible match. Thank you CortJstr. I didn't realize until it was all wrapped up, but the pacing was just about perfect - which, in my experience, can be tricky with cage matches.

Cellardoor mentioned the Ric Flair DVD collection - that's the only wrestling DVD set I own, at the moment, and it is pretty much everything a fan could hope for from a collection like that: all the promos / skirmishes / interviews leading up to the big matches, then aftermath - if I remember right, it's like nine hours of material, putting it all into context. Are there any other DVD collections (available or announced) that measure up to this standard?

Don't mention it. I really think that TNA's no-escape rule really helps the cage matches. There's no dead spots while one guys climbs v-e-r-y slowly for no reason. I think this is the same reason the Ultimate X match has worked so well compared to a traditional ladder match. I wanted to see a BME but I realize that move is a little lighthearted for the situation. And thus far they've lived up to the stipulation, though the obvious feud has helped (Daniels won the X-title at the next PPV and Skipper wants it).

I realize that the cage match over shadows basically anything ever but what did you guys think of the X-Division match? Aside from the ending of course.

If you appreciate ECW the forthcoming special edition release of Rise and Fall sounds like it'll live up to the Flair standard.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2005, 07:52:38 am »

Don't get me started on the Flair promos.
Never has a blustery, be-mulleted man made me think "YES! He speak the truth!".
Learn to love it, learn to live with it but diamonds are forever and so is Ric Flair. Whoooo!

Is it me or is that six-sided cage taller than the wwe cage?
Maybe it's just 'cause the ring is smaller.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the x-divison match. That's the pace and style of rasslin' i've come to appreciate after watching old wcw cruisers and ROH.
The crossbody out of the crowd, the story of the finishers and reversals, all excellent stuff. Petey seems like a natural heel too.
Only dissapointment was the non-destroyer finish. I was hoping to see that in the context of a match.
Great stuff though. Add AJ styles in and i'm sold.

DVDs...um, check out the Hard Knocks Benoit dvd. A good mix of ECW, WCW and WWE matches as well as some of his early japanese stuff.
The guerrero dvd is also pretty good along with Foley's latest collection.
Neither of these are up to the level of the flair dvd, mostly because they're centered around documentaries.
I think the flair dvd is as good as it gets really.

My mission for you peeps is to find Low Ki vs Amazing Red at ring of honour's Road to the title. If you can d/l that match you'll see the most contrived yet arresting opening to a match...ever!


Edit: Holy crap! Did half the stuff I just read actually happen on Raw?
Cena drafted?
Genuine ecw wrestlers on Raw?
Rhyno? I thought he was fired?
Damn, the ppv is now feverishly anticipated!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2005, 02:48:30 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
My mission for you peeps is to find Low Ki vs Amazing Red at ring of honour's Road to the title. If you can d/l that match you'll see the most contrived yet arresting opening to a match...ever!

Edit: Holy crap! Did half the stuff I just read actually happen on Raw?
Cena drafted?
Genuine ecw wrestlers on Raw?
Rhyno? I thought he was fired?
Damn, the ppv is now feverishly anticipated!

I don't think I heard about that. I guess people are too busy going on about Samoa Joe (c) vs. CM Punk.

Yup. Rhyno was let go following WM21 but his no-compete clause means he can't work any where else until July anyway so they decided to let him come back (as Rhino) for ECW. I wonder how they'll handle some of the people under contract. Will they acknowledge Simon Dean is Nova and that Lita=Miss Congeniality? I'm guessing not, that they'll just appear at the PPV then come back the next night on Raw as their regular characters and nothing will be said.

So now Eric has Teddy by the balls. Cena could get drafted back (lame!). He could get traded for about 19 other people. Batista could get drafted (rumored since before Royal Rumble). Or Cena could drop the title and the new champion could get drafted.

It's pretty common knowledge that SD is in rocky territory with the Viacom situation and getting moved to Friday nights. I'm hoping they move a bunch of A-list guys over there to make it attractive to another network. And maybe go back to showing it live.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2005, 03:11:42 pm »

Check out the offical ECW page over at WWE.com.
They've got the BWO lined up for an appearance, meaning Stevie and Nova will revert back to a previous gimmick.
I'm pretty certain that lita will be with Edge as part of the raw team. Which means more heat due to having "turned" on ecw.
How this plays out on Raw I have no idea.

The draft is a good point to re-balance the smackdown roster. I think HBK switching would work but i'm certain the cena switch won't stick.
The way the rules are structured for the draft Cena could get drafted back to smackdown, then back to raw, and so on.
I have to say, this is one of the most interesting periods for WWE now.
They've begun to build new stars, established them even, and are still being burnt over ratings.
Wrestling does seem to be cyclical and if this draft goes well the interest may rise.
Personally, Cena on a live show is ideal and the first great step to winning back a solid audience.

Colour me intrigued! Nicely done Vince, you got my interest!
Edit: Ooh, ooh! Howsabout Christian heels his way to Cena's belt and then gets drafted!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 06:21:48 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
Check out the offical ECW page over at WWE.com.

That's weird. In their ECW title histories they list Rhyno and Tazz instead of Rhino and Taz. I know WWE is all about revisionist history but this is getting silly.

I kind of wish they went the route last year where the whole Smackdown roster was there live to hear the annoucement just so I could see Teddy Long's head explode. Then a bunch of heels would be all happy he was leaving leading to JBL whipping out his classic belt again.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2005, 10:24:00 am »

Did you see it?
Huh?
Huh?
WWE presents ECW....what can I say, just...wow.
What a great happening.
Austin and Sandman sharing beers, Heyman tearing the WWE workers up, Awesome and Tanaka.
Styles and Heyman choking up.
God...just a great, great piece of wrestling history.
Re-order the ppv, d/l it, but the dvd, see this show!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2005, 12:45:30 pm »

I was kind of afraid the "crusaders" would take too much screen time and $35 is a lot of money so I decided to wait. The reports sounded good except for all the matches being ~10 minutes and the whole show ending at like 10:30.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2005, 04:02:42 am »

What about him? What about Raven?

I did not see that coming. Raven's been a JTTS for so long I never thought that I'd see him with the NWA title. Damn. Of course I'm sure Samoa Joe will take it from him soon enough (if WWE doesn't come calling, that is).
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2005, 02:33:41 am »



I almost picked this up all impulse-stylezzz ("three discs! classic material!"), but then I thought, oh dammit WWF 80's stuff is like the textbook definition of "hit-and-miss". And, yeah, so far I've been reading mixed reviews. It's got quite a few matches - the Steamboat / Flair one is really what caught my eye - but come on, people : Ultimate Warrior vs. Bobby Heenan in a Weasel Suit Match? I love Heenan, but really. How many of these matches are ****+?

And I know that WWE will sometimes list lots of matches on a DVD but only have a few in their entirety, with clips representing the rest. That shit makes me crazy.

Anyone here seen it?

AND WHERE'S MY STEAMBOAT BOX SET
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wrestling Thread Starter
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2005, 02:59:55 am »

Eh, that's not really my kind of thing. I haven't even read any of the reviews. I wasn't really watching back then and actually I tend to be a fan of spot-fests. This is also why the Road Warriors set doesn't really interest me.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up