Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005  (Read 5013 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 07:41:27 pm »

You must go there and find out whether he purchased or made his own coconut-infused rum.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 09:32:09 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
On an only tangentially related topic, living here at the head of the Oregon and Santa Fe trails we have museums and such devoted to those things.  I heard a report on the radio the other day advertising the Frontier Trails Museum and they mentioned Hiram and his blacksmith shop.  I had no idea that he was a real person; I had assumed he was made up either for Oregon Trail (the video game) or Achewood.


Quote

Hiram Young was a prominent African-American blacksmith in Independence, MO who bought slaves to work in his wagon shops and let them earn their freedom.


Jungle fever?

I wonder if the impetus for the bi-curious Hiram storyline was the exchange:

"Hiram Young?" "Yes, and horny!"
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 05:17:36 am »

This has probably already been pointed out elsewhere, but Hiram Young really is an awesome porn star name.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 03:26:14 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"
This has probably already been pointed out elsewhere, but Hiram Young really is an awesome porn star name.

Or director of Barely Legal #49 / any movie with "Cherry" or "Lolita" in the title.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 01:57:21 am »

"Will the stuffed bear make out with the dick?" This is the question that haunts my weekend.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2005, 04:05:16 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
"Will the stuffed bear make out with the dick?" This is the question that haunts my weekend.

This implies Teodor/Pat romantic fanfic, you realize.

Now it's in my head, and it involves Pat cursing constantly.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2005, 05:07:26 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
"Will the stuffed bear make out with the dick?" This is the question that haunts my weekend.

This implies Teodor/Pat romantic fanfic, you realize.

Now it's in my head, and it involves Pat cursing constantly.


t's pretty hard to swear with your mouth full
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 12:05:00 am »

Just to point out how stupid I am, I thought the phrase "you look like you're about to rent me a jet-ski" was an incredible new way to describe nervousness.  After a day or so, I realized he was describing Teordore's disguise/outfit.

"How was the recital?"  "Well, little Timmy looked like he was ready to rent jet-ski's for the whole audience, but he knocked 'em dead with the Bach."

Back to the primordial ooze with me.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 12:41:02 am »

I was out with friends last weekend and we stopped for ice cream after dinner.  I was perusing the board of flavors when I noticed an interesting choice...





Of course I had to try it.  It wasn't really to my liking however, much too sweet, but it did have coconuts in it which I thought was suspicious.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 01:19:51 pm »

I miss Amy's.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 02:01:37 pm »

"Oregon Trail Mix-Up" surely sounds like quite a dangerous mishap.  Kudos for you, Paul, for investigating.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 05:56:35 pm »

I haven't been to Amy's in years.

If they made an ice cream that tasted like hardtack and salt pork, as any flavor named "Oregon Trail Mix-Up" surely must, I would be all over that. You don't really get enough hearty, dinnerish flavors in modern snacking.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 06:05:40 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
You don't really get enough hearty, dinnerish flavors in modern snacking.


I did get the Jones Soda Holiday Pack for Christmas.  The Cranberry Sauce Soda was pretty decent, the Green Bean Casserole Soda was foul, I left the Fruitcake Soda in the freezer too long and it burst, and the Mashed Potato & Butter Soda was surprisingly good.  

I still have the Turkey & Gravy Soda in the fridge waiting for a special occasion.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 07:03:54 pm »

I think the "trail-mix" is the operative word in this particular flavor.  It had the aforementioned coconuts, chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, possibly granola.  But it also had pink and blue sprinkles so they were just all over the map with this one.  I love Amys ice cream, but this one wasn't their best offering.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Heavy Into Rod Huggins -- 15 June 2005
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2005, 07:07:47 pm »

Oh anyway, the point of posting these pictures was to raise the question; do you think the owners of Amy's are readers of Achewood?  Probably not, it's a bit of a reach, but it would be neat if it were so and this flavor was actually inspired by events in the comic.  It would add an extra layer of cool to an already supercool establishment.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up