Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vespertine  (Read 2887 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« on: June 15, 2005, 08:41:01 pm »

I've been listening to this album infrequently since it's release.  Most of it is meh, to me, pretty weak compared to most of her other work, but I keep returning because I dig the first track, Secret Place a whole bunch.  It's a killer.  But today, it just came alive for me, the whole album and really blew me away.  How did that happen?  Has anyone ever experienced this type of effect?  It's not uncommon for an album to take a couple of listens to fully appreciate, but it's never taken 4 years before.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vespertine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 08:48:56 pm »

Yeah, I don't know about four years, although there were a few albums that I heard a few years ago and didn't think much of only to listen to them again to find that they're quite good.  Is that what you mean?

I've recently been enjoying Weezer's "Pinkerton" and the Killer's "Hot Fuss" which I thought was derivative crap when I first heard it and now I think it's derivative FUN!  

Also, I am in constant fear of breaking my laptop's keyboard because the keys on it are both slightly too far apart and have too much travel downwards, so it's easy to get a finger caught *under* a key, thus increasing the chance of snapping it straight off.  I figured I'd get used to it but no, it's just poor design, not my newness to it.

Damn.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 06:08:07 pm »

I really need to get all of Bjork's albums posthaste. If someone wants to do an album swap, that would be rad. Just let me know. I'll print out my iTunes library (yes, and I pronounce it "liberry" and there's nothing you can do to stop me, motherfuckers) and post its text on my blog or something.

A friend of mine burned me a disc of Bjork's greatest hits. I am absoutely addicted to "Secret Place", "Bachelorette", "Joga," and "Hyperballad". Man, I love Bjork so much. I always like to sing Lore Fitzgerald Sjoberg's song about Bjork.

Oh, Bjork, Bjork,
Were you brought by the stork?
Or were you created from butter and cork?
I love you so much that I act like a dork
Oh, Bjork, Bjork, oh Bjork!

*edit* GOD DAMMIT. The link doesn't work. http://www.brunching.com/features/feature-bjorksong.html
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 06:38:42 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
I always like to sing Lore Fitzgerald Sjoberg's song about Bjork.

I actually have that song. I think it was part of his Napster contest wherein the goal was to get his mp3 onto every harddrive on the planet.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 07:22:54 pm »

Okay, I'm still trying to figure this out. http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/Somebody nice_music.xml

Let's see if that works.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vespertine
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 08:35:48 pm »

I have all of Bjork's albums in good quality mp3s, and can post them for you if you'd like JUST LIKE THE OLD TIMES.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Vespertine
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 10:47:31 pm »

I occasionally get the feeling like I'm supposed to give Bjork a chance, but I've never gotten into any of her stuff. Haven't really heard anything by her in a good many years though either.
I think I'm scared that I might have to get more...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 07:02:09 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I have all of Bjork's albums in good quality mp3s, and can post them for you if you'd like JUST LIKE THE OLD TIMES.


<3 <3 <3

jough, you rock so hard. That would be awesome.

Also, thanks to you, I now rip everything to the highest bitrate I possibly can. I am trying to post my library (http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/Somebody nice_music.xml), but I'm not sure how much of my stuff you are going to want. I know that you hate country, and I am very much into alt-country, bluegrass, and Americana. Anyway, I have really gotten into Wilco, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, and other projects involving Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vespertine
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 08:00:56 pm »

Actually, looking at your XML file it looks like you pretty much have all of her studio albums but the latest one.

However, I will post them all in their entirety and you can grab what you want.

Since I have like, 800mb of Bjork, it may take a while to upload.  I'll PM you with an address once it's uploaded.

And I'm sure that I have all of the music I need, but if you had any copies of say, albums by "The Sonics" I wouldn't say no.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 08:12:04 pm »

Heya Jough,
Well, I have a few tracks that a friend burned onto a CD. I have one or two tracks from "Post," "Vespertine," and some others, but I don't have the entire albums or anything like that.

You rock. Much <3.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 01:32:24 am »

I have a few rare Bjork things. You probably have them, but I will check anyways, Do you have the big collection of her live stuff or the collection of b-sides? Do you have Gling Glo or her weird child pop star album from the 70s? I'd be happy to fill in any gaps. Also I have a so so copy of her Triumph of the Heart video which is a must see if you like dancing cats (or rather a person shaking a cat to give the illusion of dancing).
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vespertine
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 03:19:55 am »

I don't have the childhood stuff, no, but I have the other boxed set, live stuff, etc., plus Gling-Glo and a few singles.

I'm not a huge Bjork fan, but sometime last year I just decided to get all of her albums and be done with it.  Better to have Bjork and not need her than need her and not have her.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 01:28:03 pm »

helmet's cover of "Army of me" is to die for.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Vespertine
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 01:40:23 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I'm not a huge Bjork fan, but sometime last year I just decided to get all of her albums and be done with it.  Better to have Bjork and not need her than need her and not have her.

Is this kind of like the Freak Bro's. creedo?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vespertine
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 01:59:15 pm »

I... I don't know who they are.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up