Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tapes...  (Read 2846 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Tapes...
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:26:51 pm »

Are there still places that sell tapes?

Like apart from people's front yards and garages? I think it's been long enough now that I could build up a pretty extensive tape collexion for dirt cheap

and tapes are cooler than vinyl, always
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Tapes...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:03:55 pm »

Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
and tapes are cooler than vinyl, always

You've lost you're damn mind.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Tapes...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 10:19:58 pm »

Seconded, ("hell of" variant). Tapes are the suck in comparison to vinyl. The covers alone make vinyl cooler, not having to use a pencil to carefully pull the f'in thing back into a possibly usable condition (and still having the tape break 1/2 the time) is another selling point.

You might have a slightly better argument with 8-tracks but you would still lose.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Tapes...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:31:05 am »

The New York label fuckit tapes releases music exclusively on tape. They also like to work with awesome bands and do extremely limited runs so the tapes become impossible to get.

 Vinyl is so much better. Though bad mastering can cause hell of skipping - as demonstrated by my Assfactor 4 12" (which otherwise rules).
Logged
I am older now.

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Tapes...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:10:02 am »

I like tapes!

Man!

I like how they are a little box full of music. I like how you don't have to treat them reverently or nothin. You can throw them! You can rub them vigorously on something and they will still play! And they will melt on your dashboard!

mainly they are cheaper and smaller

fuckit tapes looks awesome. I need to buy that Dead Machines tape
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Tapes...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:28:53 am »

Get it quick or feel the wrath of third hand dub computer media! I jones hard for that Phoenix Bodies tape.
Logged
I am older now.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Tapes...
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 12:37:35 am »

I am only a fan of blank tapes ;D
It's way easier to make a tape mix sound all dj-ish (all you need is a stereo with sides.. tape dubbing?  + maybe another stereo if you 'realllly' want to pause on a cd / for additional sounds) than it is to make a cd... since I still only know the minimal functions on a cd recorder :|

I still have my parody rap radio station tapes... all 4 of them.  they are crazy intense!

[for travel / organising / durability, cds are way better.  sorry]
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Tapes...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 02:38:35 pm »

Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
Are there still places that sell tapes?

Like apart from people's front yards and garages? I think it's been long enough now that I could build up a pretty extensive tape collexion for dirt cheap

and tapes are cooler than vinyl, always


You can find Ray Stevens' Greatest Hits on tape at a truck stop near you.

Also pretty much the Complyte Wyrks of Skynyrd, a few Air Supply one-offs, and an unbelieveable selection of hillbilly/redneck comedy recordings.

Truck stops are the last retail outpost for magnetic tape audio recordings.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Tapes...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 03:31:19 pm »

While you're at Stuckey's, I need a shellacked piece of driftwood with a Jesus on it. Will settle for an infant-sized "The South Will Rise Again" t-shirt.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Tapes...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:25:44 pm »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
You can find Ray Stevens' Greatest Hits on tape at a truck stop near you.

Also pretty much the Complyte Wyrks of Skynyrd, a few Air Supply one-offs, and an unbelieveable selection of hillbilly/redneck comedy recordings.

Truck stops are the last retail outpost for magnetic tape audio recordings.

The truckstop, it's like a shadow world that we can barely percieve.  It's almost as inaccessible as platform 9 3/4.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up