Oh man, I hope I wasn't the only kid who snuck a glug from the vanilla bottle when his folks weren't looking. Amazing how something that can smell so heavenly can taste so foul.
Some grocery stores have started locking it up due to the high theft rate. Especially from their own employees.
Oh, that crazy vanilla extract! There are "dry" villages here in Alaska where you can't even bring in vanilla extract or some types of mouthwash. Companies that ship groceries to bush villages won't send those types of products to the dry villages, which I think is pretty respectable of them. They search your luggage for liquor when you arrive. Alcohol has ruined far too many lives, which is why they have the somewhat Draconian anti-hooch laws. If you object or if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else.
One of my best friends back in Denver also recalled having to pour out vanilla extract because her alcoholic mum would raid it when they were trying to stop her from drinking.
At any rate, I am not an alcoholic, and I do enjoy beer and such. Vanilla extract tastes horrible, which I discovered quite young.