Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.  (Read 8393 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

beanmom

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2005, 02:13:22 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
If I ever get this strictly theoretical Skee-Ball table, it can and will be the focal point of its room. I will decorate around it! Some people get antique tables; I get a carnival machine.


I would totally design my house around a Skee-Ball machine.  *sigh*

Oops, I just slipped into a totally impractical, yet wistful, reverie...  Yes, it was all about having a Skee-Ball machine in my house.  I am a simple woman.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2005, 02:39:04 am »

As long as we're free-associating here, I'd like to ask just why someone would continue to socialize around a table in a completely empty restaurant at 10:40, when the restaurant in question closed at 10:40.
JUST LEAVE. JUST F'N LEAVE.
Also, I am all about arcade style games in my house. One day...ONE DAY!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2005, 02:42:27 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, I am all about arcade style games in my house. One day...ONE DAY!

I recently found out that my SO had never seen a video game/table such as they used to have at Pizza Hut. She'd never even heard of the concept. This may be the end of our relationship.

A friend in HS had a Galaga one at her house and it was joyous.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2005, 04:15:04 am »

Quote
A friend in HS had a Galaga one at her house and it was joyous.


That or a Donkey Kong one would be sweet indeed. Next time I see one at a hole in the wall mom and pop pizza place in Door County, I am making an offer.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2005, 04:31:45 am »

A really cool bar in New York has a Pac Man table. It is awesome.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2005, 05:39:22 am »

I used to PUNISH at Table Super Saxxon.

Actually, now that I think about it while I'm not much of a "gamer" since say, I was 12, I used to be ALL ABOUT THE VIDEO GAMES.

My first home system was my parents' Pong game.  No shit.

Then when I was 5 we got an Atari 2600.  Then a couple years later a Colecovision (with the Atari 2600 adapter so you could play the old Atari library - I also had the ball controller, which made Centipede awesome but it came with a really lame game called Victory).

Then I went totally Commodore 128.  In motherfuck*ng CP/M mode.  To this day I think that the Commodore 64/128 was a really good system, and that game developers pushed the envelope of what the hardware could do more with that than any other computer or video game system since (the Amiga being maybe the only exception).

At some point I got an NES, mainly for Tetris, but I played other stuff like Mario Bros. (of course) and Castlevania.  I had an original Game Boy.  Then I sold it and got an Atari Lynx, which was colour and about the quality of the NES - and it came out 15 years before the PSP, which really just looks like a smaller Lynx.  Same control system, same layout, etc.

Anyway, that was it for me and games for awhile.  I sold the Lynx on eBay about three years ago to a collector (mine was pristine and I still had the original boxes) for about ten times what the gear all cost when it was new.  

I played a LOT of Doom II in college, a little Quake, but then a lot of Quake II, then nothing but chess for awhile, then last year when I got a modern laptop it came with GTAIII, so I started playing that.  Then I picked up Vice City for $15 and it quickly became my favourite game of all time.  Then Doom 3 came out and I figured I'd have to try it.  I was unimpressed.

Then for Christmas I was given Half-Life 2 and while I thought the first one was a cheap Quake 2 imitator Half-Life 2 just rocks.  I've played through the whole game about three times (it's pretty short - the third time I was in Whirlwind mode and finished the game in about ten hours (not straight)).

Anyway, I loved Vice City and I really like much of San Andreas, but it's just not the same.  The graphics are better, the controls are good, I like the stats and the level design of Los Santos is just amazing (Vice City's levels were less complex or interesting than GTAIII's were - just too flat and two dimentional).  The frustration factor seems much higher in San Andreas than in Vice City - I think it's because the missions tend to be longer and if you mess up right at the end you have to do the whole thing again.  Also, getting from save point to mission start is sometimes a long trip - the world is either too big (no such thing!) or there aren't enough save points.  Actually, I'd be all for NO savepoints - just save anywhere in any state, like pretty much every FPS does.

Having said all that, I may have to get a PSP when the new GTA comes out exclusively for it.  That is, until someone writes a PC emulator for it, which should be any day now.  Or the PS3 also plays PSP games, which would be awesome and pretty much solidify my desire to purchase one.

IdiotIdiotIdiot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5
  • pew baby, pew!
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2005, 12:46:41 pm »

Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2005, 02:02:18 pm »

What I want -- what I really really want -- is a Bram Stoker's Dracula pinball machine

B E C A U S E  
T H E R E  
I S  
A  
P I C T U R E
O F  
T O M  
W A I T S  
O N  
I T

A pinball machine bearing the visage of the immortal Mr. Waits.
Does anyone realize how utterly mind-blowing and freakishly WONDERFUL that is!?!
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »

Jesus... that really is a thing of beauty and wonder.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2005, 02:58:40 pm »

Confession: I used to own a Judge Dredd, one of my all-time favorite machines and an absolute beauty to behold. Seriously, it was a beast of a thing, wider than a standard machine, and when all lit up in a dimmed room, just fuck*ng majestic. It didn't cost no damn six thousand dollars, either - I got it for AUD $1500, which is, like, pretty much nothing as far as amusement installations go.

I had to sell it when I moved back to the States. I don't think I'd buy it again, unless I was seriously flush with cash and actually able to work on a proper collection - my top choices right now (subject to change from moment to moment) would be Bride of Pinbot, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, and Scared Stiff.

C, the Maverick pinball machine has James Garner on it. James Garner.

Those table arcade games you're talking about and rightly admiring are called "cocktail cabinets", and honestly, I have no idea why they're no longer popular. Don't get me started mourning the Death of the Traditional Arcade, etc., with all the good and proper games (to say nothing of pinball!) squeezed out for nineteen goddamned flavors of Tekken, Time Crisis, and Name-Your-Gimmick Rhythm Game Fifth Dongmix. When I have more living space, I intend to build a MAME cocktail. (As a sprog, I was a fiend for BurgerTime and Joust in this format.)
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2005, 03:15:50 pm »

St_Zartan, find me a Kolchak pinball machine and I'll pay you damn six thousand dollars. Darren McGavin. Fuck.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2005, 03:40:38 pm »

I loved me some World Cup 94 pinball.  They had one at the arcade in the mall near my office when I first moved to DC.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2005, 10:38:22 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Skee-Ball

Your Skee-Ball Trophy

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up