Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50838 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:00:22 pm »

OK, continue your musical discussions here. (hear?)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:19:52 pm »

Huzzah!

I've been listening to indie stuff lately, mostly grabbed from a friend who really loves posting MP3s. (Hey, I ain't proud.) I feel a bit guilty for some of this stuff, as it really straddles the line between "Indie Rock Pete-level obscurity" and "faux-indie selloutica," but I likes what I likes.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:38:46 pm »

I downloaded Architecture in Helsinki yesterday and it's quite fun even if It'5! is a lame song title. I'm waiting for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to arrive as I've heard lots of good things.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 09:39:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
...it really straddles the line between "Indie Rock Pete-level obscurity" and "faux-indie selloutica,"...


I need names!

Semi-relatedly, I finally had my last-straw type incident with Pitchfork today.  I'd mostly just been reading it for the tour dates, but I read a review every once and a while, and they dissed the mix CD that came with the current issue of the Believer for not being snarky enough, or not having any hip hop or some damn thing.  So I reckon this is an important in my twelve-steps type progression away from indie snobbery.

I have been listening to: David Byrne (Bozack's recommendation, and a fine one), Josephine Foster, John Prine, and obscene amounts of Yo La Tengo.

And I am seeing Wilco tonight.  If they do not play anything from A.M., I will cry, but it is worth it anyways.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:50:39 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
...it really straddles the line between "Indie Rock Pete-level obscurity" and "faux-indie selloutica,"...


I need names!

Oh, fine. The big ones are Fall Out Boy and Brand New, with some Stars (I still haven't found my copy of Set Yourself On Fire, alas) and Matthew Good. There've also been a few tracks by a band called Carbon Leaf which I am increasingly fond of, if only for the general cheeriness.

Quote
Semi-relatedly, I finally had my last-straw type incident with Pitchfork today.  I'd mostly just been reading it for the tour dates, but I read a review every once and a while, and they dissed the mix CD that came with the current issue of the Believer for not being snarky enough, or not having any hip hop or some damn thing.  So I reckon this is an important in my twelve-steps type progression away from indie snobbery.

Yeah, I hit my last straw with Pitchfork when their review of TMBG's The Spine basically summed to "you guys sound too much like a real rock band! What the hell? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE AN INDIE GAG ACT, NOT MAKE REAL MUSIC, AND I AM DISILLUSIONED THAT THE NEW CD IS NOT FIFTEEN DIFFERENT COVERS OF 'PARTICLE MAN'." Then again, I never could really stand Pitchfork.

EDIT: To verify that I was correct in my diatribe above, I went to Pitchfork and pulled up every TMBG review I could. I don't really know if I was harsh enough. I mean, Jesus Christ, panning TMBG for releasing a kids' album that has songs that would actually appeal to a child, instead of releasing a snide set of songs about, I don't know, the Sandinistas or existentialism to kiddy-beats? These people are fuck*ng degenerates, and they don't know shit about TMBG. Jesus Christ I am having a Pat-like moment. I am SHAKING WITH RAGE. Time to read something calming... or maybe listen to The Spine again.
Logged

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 10:14:08 pm »

oh my god that Believer review in Pitchfork to daye was disgusting

"the CD included with the 2004 music issue was like a mix disc predicting our 2004 Top Albums list, featuring as it did folks like the Books, Ted Leo, the Walkmen, and TV on the Radio."

because no one else likes those totally popular bands ! I will find Pitchfork's father, and I will cuckold him



ps i bought this



BOX THE BUNNY by the BUNNYBRAINS

a five-disc collection of everything this band ever touched, like a number of hours of music, all previously ultra rare vinyl only releases, for $9.99. I'd never heard the band before, I'd barely heard of them, apart from a few terrible, angry reviews, but you see a band's entire catalogue on sale for ten dollars and you have to take it in your hands and own it and love it

and it's all right. real fuzzed-out psych punk, the singer kinda reminds me of the dude from Arab on Radar and the Chinese Stars. I recommend hearing the song called "I Am Not Your Friend (I Am Your Destiny)" and also the one called "You Don't Know". they are fun to listen to !
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 10:45:04 pm »

Yikes. I just went to that Pitchfork Media place and damn. That was just painful. I almost feel guilty liking albums that they've given high ratings to.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 11:42:27 pm »

Joni Mitchell.  Lots and lots of Joni Mitchell.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 12:53:22 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"

I have been listening to: David Byrne (Bozack's recommendation, and a fine one), Josephine Foster, John Prine, and obscene amounts of Yo La Tengo.


Yesss, YESSSSS.
I bittorrented John Prine's Bonnaroo performance, and it is TASTY.
I'm currently broke as hell, but I've basically just been listening to the Talking Heads and the Tom Tom Club.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 02:22:43 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
And I am seeing Wilco tonight.  If they do not play anything from A.M., I will cry, but it is worth it anyways.

They might throw you a bone, but better take a hanky just in case.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 02:25:32 am »

I got a 17 disc 1/2 speed master of The entire Beatles catalog.  I've been neck deep into the Beatles since Sunday.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 03:45:16 am »

LPs?  Or CDs?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 05:15:34 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "andalucia"

I have been listening to: David Byrne...


...but I've basically just been listening to the Talking Heads and the Tom Tom Club.


And look what the topic's title is!  I was just thinking about listening to the Talking Heads yesterday, but haven't got around to it yet.  I think I will now.  I was thinking about what a wonderful band they are.  I haven't heard much solo Byrne, and what I have didn't impress me much, but I think I need to check out some more stuff.

I still read Pitchfork for news and tour dates.  It's one of the better sources as far as that goes, but I stopped reading the reviews long ago, for the most part.  I don't know if it's still like this, and I may have mentioned it before here, but for a while I swear to god Pitchfork must have been a project for a community college creative writing class.  I mean, I know they were supposed to be reviews of albums, but I wasn't reading anything about the albums.  Personally, I think popular music criticism tends to be pretty much a joke anyway, but Pitchfork loses extra points for being so snooty.  Also, even though it is a pretty good source for news, sometimes I wish they would just report it straight and forget the Daily Show style reporting.  But I guess most people would find it too boring.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 05:44:26 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "andalucia"

I have been listening to: David Byrne...


...but I've basically just been listening to the Talking Heads and the Tom Tom Club.


And look what the topic's title is!


Yeah, how about that?

I've always been a fan of Byrne and the Talking Heads.  I have virtually no experience with his solo material.  But I've always loved the Talking Heads.

It's odd.  I'm not trying to be all Papaw here, but from my perspective the Talking Heads were an innovative cutting edge band.  They were the epitome of new wave to me.  Do they seem dated to you, Bozack?  

I hope not.  I hope aesthetic quality is timeless.  I listening to a Bach CD I got at Target for a buck as I type this.  It sounds fresh to me (despite the fact that chunks of it are embedded in my subconscious memory) and I hope it always will.

Also how can you sneeze at a collaboration between Eno and Byrne?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 04:08:52 pm »

I actually am a big Talking Heads fan. They don't sound dated to me at all; there's just something about how Byrne writes lyrics that really works for me. Everything just seems really...unironic, I guess? I just read a book about the Talking Heads, and they mention how "Don't Worry About The Government" was actually David Byrne trying really hard not to be ironic, and to thank the civil servants that worked for him every day. I think it really comes through in the lyrics. Listening to the Talking Heads, to me, always seems very fresh, because it always sounds like some people who were pretty happy to be playing music and doing new stuff.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up