Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 12:01:50 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
LPs?  Or CDs?

CD's.

I've been attending these cool parties in my neighborhood called Texas House Concerts which run in conjunction with disc exchange parties called Brunch of the Living Dead.  This past Sunday they had a really cool bluegrass band from Asheville NC called Steel String Theory.  While you sit in the yard [or pool] enjoying a cold beverage and tasty bbq while listening to quality music being performed, "Grateful Greg" the burnmaster, is busy copying copious amounts of disc for the friends gathered there.  Most of the music being burned as you can imagine is Grateful Dead or Jam Band related, but they also have lots of other cool stuff available.  Like a 17 disc 1/2 speed master of the entire Beatles catalog for instance.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 01:12:49 am »

I love Grateful Greg.

Seriously, that is a really cool idea, and it looks like fun.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 01:43:57 pm »

I know i'm a big ol' sap, but I really love The Beatles.  These 1/2 speed masters are frickin' awesome.  On most of them you can't really tell a huge difference, but on the latter recordings the difference is remarkable.  It's... like i've never really heard them before.  Who'dve thought that after 30+ years and thousands of listenings Golden Slumbers could still give me a shiver.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 03:16:11 pm »

apples?
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 04:39:08 pm »

That is outstanding.  I wish Capitol would get off their asses and remaster the Beatles catalog.  Fuckers.
Logged

editor

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 05:51:51 pm »

A friend just turned me on to Saturday Looks Good To Me and The Decemberists.  She's been hitting me over the head with Talking Heads but I can't handle more than two new bands at once.  

Also, not to beat a dead hoss but yes, Pitchfork's reviews are terrible and so are their features.  The Believer is rad and I won't stand for no guff about them.
Logged
Congratulations, you broke the Internet.  Good job.


Don't you hate #####?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Fear of Music
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 06:22:35 pm »

Oranges.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 06:23:35 pm »

indeed
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 07:33:08 pm »

I've been listening to a lot of New Order lately. Their big Retro collection has been in my playlist rotation for about a year now, but I've really started to appreciate them over the past few months. Temptation and Your Silent Face are particular favorites of mine.

Perhaps soon I will be ready to take my first tenative steps into Joy Division.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Fear of Music
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 07:52:42 am »

Whenever I am angry at Pitchfork I visit this delightful Web's Page. Some of the parody hits pretty squarely; especially great are the band names and radiohead scale. I think SA's resident music malcontent had a hand in this. That guy is the best hater around.
Logged
I am older now.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2005, 02:22:46 pm »

So where do people get non-sucky reviews? They seem to be very hard to come by.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Fear of Music
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2005, 04:26:25 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
So where do people get non-sucky reviews? They seem to be very hard to come by.


This one here is the best album review I've ever seen.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fear of Music
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2005, 11:33:12 pm »

That is so not a good review*, and not just due to my bias.

Anyway, I have always been mildly partial to http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/, though I don't always agree with them, but this is partly thanks to them making me buy my first Lanegan solo album.

I, like Paul, just ended up getting the entire Beatles discography, and so have been listening to about half their good albums (all of them have a few tracks I hate). Also, lots and lots of Rumillajta, who have always been one of my favourite bands ever.

* In fact, it's not even a review, just a fatuous... comment? Fatuous anyhow.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2005, 06:01:43 am »

Tiny Mix Tapes is always better, and funnier, than Pitchfork.  And their news updates are good too.

Brainwashed is great too, and the owner is a pretty cool guy.  The review section is only updated once a week, and is the first link under the section News & Features.  He does a lot of websites for bands free of charge.

Fakejazz used to be great, but I haven't read it lately.  I know a lot of the guys associated with it, but had a falling out with one of them.

But like I said, I'm not much up on rock criticism.  I just know those sites because I know the dudes who run them.

I'm drunk.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Cooper

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2005, 08:18:55 am »

Lately I have been suffering through some interminable onanistic fumblings by the absurd Karlheinz Stockhausen. I must admit after a while his complete and utter disregard of how foolish his actions are becomes idiotically charming, much in the same regard that, after my dog defecates on the carpet for the twentieth straight time, I rarely am able to find the energy to strike him again, and am moved to awed admiration of his thick-skulled tenacity.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up