Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50832 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Fear of Music
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2005, 08:51:35 pm »

Heyo!
Logged
I am older now.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 09:48:45 pm »

Quote from: "miles"

Brainwashed is great too, and the owner is a pretty cool guy.  The review section is only updated once a week, and is the first link under the section News & Features.  He does a lot of websites for bands free of charge.


I agree. I started reading brainwashed years ago when I was really into the Legendary Pink Dots. I only read it sporadically now.
Logged

angryhate

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005, 04:26:30 pm »

i just noticed that the live music archive has one of the gigs mike watt & george hurley played minutemen songs as a duo(is this a correct sentence?). it's pure awesomeness in mp3 form.

also who can i contact about changing my username?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 06:31:19 pm »

Quote from: "angryhate"
i just noticed that the live music archive has one of the gigs mike watt & george hurley played minutemen songs as a duo(is this a correct sentence?). it's pure awesomeness in mp3 form.

also who can i contact about changing my username?

Talk to Jough. I am led to understand that he usually desires a tip for this service, but otherwise it shouldn't be any big deal.

Also, mmmm. Delicious music.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Fear of Music
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 05:34:52 pm »

Just received my copy of Swaptrash's, sadly, only album. They were an Edinburgh band doing various American country stuff, and were fuck*ng fantastic. Now to get it off of vinyl!
I shall probably post a link to it when done, what with it's unavailability and pure brilliance. I reckon some of y'all would dig it.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 06:56:36 pm »

There's a crazy guy at work who was in a pretty well-known hardcore band in the 80's; apparently, he was the second person to purchase Minor Threat's "Out of Step" EP, and POSSIBLY the first person to listen to it. Anyway, the other night, he sits me down and starts berating me for not owning certain albums and also for owning a Matador Records messenger bag. He starting listing albums I needed to buy, making me write them down on the back of a menu. Then, he stopped and asked, "Do you own Meat Puppets II?"
I said, "No."
He said, "Why not?"
I chuckled.
He said, "I'm serious, man! Why don't you own that album?"
So I just got it, and it is seriously awesome. I think I'm now his disciple.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

split red

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2005, 09:03:28 am »

meat puppets II is indeed awesome. i've been listening to a lot of tom waits, minutemen and infest. i dled booker t. & the mg's hip hug-her and man it's pretty good in the background. it's the kind of music i would listen to while playing the time trials in mario kart

oh yeah bozack, what is the name of the pretty well-known hardcore band the guy was in?
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Fear of Music
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2005, 11:00:36 am »

One summer I could not turn off MPII because I believed it had become the whole of my mind. Things started getting bad at work for me at this point. Its weird - I tried to use "in the neighborhood" by Tom Waits as an outro to science demonstrations. No one really understood. I still think its the best rally/outro music EVA.

I have been meaning to get the No Man's Slave 12". Some day. I'm kind of burnt out on power violence right now and my Crime Desire LP should be in my mailbox soon. Similar style to Infest with completely uncharacteristic high-pitched yapping. Very cool stuff!
Logged
I am older now.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2005, 06:15:53 pm »

The guy was in Kinghoss, a band which, from what I can tell, is considered sacred in Louisville but which is completely anonymous everywhere else. Apparently someone from the band, and I'm assuming it's him, because he is a pugnacious little bastard and because of the whole Matador bag thing, kicked the shit out of the guitarist from VHS or Beta back in 1998, but google is turning up little else. They came out with one album back in like 1993.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2005, 10:31:03 pm »

the new clutch album, ***** hive/exodus, is excellent.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2005, 12:43:40 pm »

I received Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and The Boy Least Likely To last week and just now got around to listening to them. The song Sleeping With a Gun Under My Pillow makes baby jesus cry but other than that they were both quite enjoyable.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Fear of Music
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2005, 07:29:37 pm »

Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?

DO YOU
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fear of Music
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2005, 07:43:30 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?

DO YOU


Is that a new song?
I have one Broadcast album and it is indeed good, but have not heard that song.  perhaps I shall go search later.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Fear of Music
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2005, 07:55:51 pm »

Quote from: "starlight"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?

DO YOU


Is that a new song?
I have one Broadcast album and it is indeed good, but have not heard that song.  perhaps I shall go search later.


It's actually off of "Haha Sound", which came out a couple of years ago, BUT the performance of that song from the bootleg of their 2003 concert at Café de la Danse is the one I'm listening to over and over, because it's so very good.

OOPS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT SPOILER SPACE
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fear of Music
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2005, 09:36:56 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "starlight"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?

DO YOU


Is that a new song?
I have one Broadcast album and it is indeed good, but have not heard that song.  perhaps I shall go search later.


It's actually off of "Haha Sound", which came out a couple of years ago, BUT the performance of that song from the bootleg of their 2003 concert at Café de la Danse is the one I'm listening to over and over, because it's so very good.

OOPS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT SPOILER SPACE


Ahh okay.
The album I have is 'The Noise Made By People'.  it's older.

I've heard a couple songs from 'Haha Sound', but never bought it.  Ominous Clouds was a good one.

Oh!  I also have heard two songs from a new EP that I found on mp3 blogs this past week.. not sure what I think of them yet.  they were okay, but no repeat performances.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up