Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50791 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2005, 01:52:59 am »

i apparently drifted off onto a musical peninsula in the 90s and since then the water has risen, leaving me on my own tiny, and vacationally useless, island.  close enough to hear a ruckus from across the water, but far enough away that noone will come and visit.

i can not stress enough how amazing "***** Hive / Exodus" is.  J Robbins (listening to Burning Airlines as i type) did a STELLAR job on this album.  Clutch are at their finest, in each and every aspect.  the new organist is amazing.  You could put this album in the "see also" space for the definition of "take it to another level".

you can hear 3 songs @ http://www.hyfntrak.com/clutch2/fromafriend/

"Slowly, broken windows returning to the sand
The economic factors are no longer relevant.
That empty city sound is so frightening.
Neolithic fear is such a motivating factory."

need i say more?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2005, 02:03:09 am »

Thanks for the Clutch.

~Paul<--Waving from the mainland.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2005, 05:03:15 pm »

Twin Cinema and High Art, Local News from The New Pornographers. Damn them for introducing me to happy fun music.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2005, 05:49:14 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Twin Cinema and High Art, Local News from The New Pornographers. Damn them for introducing me to happy fun music.

Both worth picking up, I take it? The four tracks I've heard from the New Pornographers have made me deeply happy inside.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2005, 07:35:51 pm »

Indeed. I still say that Electric Version is by far their best effort, though. High Art, Local News is only available on 45* and comes w/ Twin Cinema depending on where you buy it. Needless to say I've already converted my copy to mp3.

*WTF is up with people calling 45s "7-inch singles"? It's a freaking 45. Rulers don't need to enter into this nomenclatural equation. I understand saying 3" CD because those are rare and need to be differentiated from full-size CDs but the term 45 has been widely understood for like 60 years. I vote we keep using it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2005, 07:53:29 pm »

They made 12" 45's too, in the 80's.  Mostly remixes and dance music.

I think 7" is almost as ubiquitous as 45.  They also call 78 records 10".

I've actually got a 7" 33 even.  It's a Todd Rundgren single that was included with his Hermit of Mink Hollow record.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Fear of Music
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2005, 08:15:06 am »

I have this 7" that plays 33 on one side and 45 on the other. It's two of Pg99's tour records clamped together to fight inflation on the originals.

At morphius they can do about anything you want to a slab of wax. 8" one-sided triple color 33? Yes, sir! Who's up for a short run of Houston poetry jams?
Logged
I am older now.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2005, 09:29:02 am »

Quote from: "antioch"
Who's up for a short run of Houston poetry jams?

I don't know what a poetry jam is.  Is this a Houston thing?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2005, 02:50:36 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "antioch"
Who's up for a short run of Houston poetry jams?

I don't know what a poetry jam is.  Is this a Houston thing?

No, lots of cities have them. I remember walking into a restaurant called Teaism for the first time and saying, "I don't belong here. This looks like the kind of place that has poetry slams." Then when we got our table, there was a flyer for an upcoming poetry slam. I'm assuming the slam/jam difference is negligible.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2005, 06:29:49 am »

Though I've had a copy of it for weeks, I finally bought a copy of the Calexico/Iron and Wine collaboration, In the Reins.  It's wonderful.  I'm more of a Calexico fan--in fact, I've probably only heard one Iron and Wine song aside from this record--but the two acts blend together perfectly.  I imagine any fan of either act would be pleased with the recording.  I look forward to seeing them in two weeks, although I hope they do separate sets.

Gang of Four will be here Sunday, and I have my ticket.  From what I've heard they'll only, or mainly, be doing the classics.  Has anyone else caught them this time around?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2005, 02:13:06 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Gang of Four will be here Sunday, and I have my ticket.  From what I've heard they'll only, or mainly, be doing the classics.  Has anyone else caught them this time around?

Isn't their new album just covers of their own songs?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2005, 03:35:21 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
Gang of Four will be here Sunday, and I have my ticket.  From what I've heard they'll only, or mainly, be doing the classics.  Has anyone else caught them this time around?

Isn't their new album just covers of their own songs?


I have no idea.  I didn't know that a new album was being released.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2005, 04:34:51 pm »

Well, fuck.  Just found out it was cancelled.  Fuck.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2005, 10:24:59 pm »

Lately I've been all about:

"At the National Grid" by the Bats - Best New Zealand indie-pop band ever, first album in 10 years, they haven't lost a damn step.

"Suitcase 2: American Superdream WOW" by Guided by Voices - I haven't even devoured all of this yet. But so far, it's great. Not as immediate as the first Suitcase stuff, but still.

Been listening to lots of Luminous Orange as well, because Japanese shoegaze is all-right with me.

Also "No Business" by Negativland is a treasure for the ages.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2005, 10:41:47 pm »

Have acquired two New Pornographers albums ("Electric Version" and "Twin Cinema") and have listened to them pretty much non-stop since I got them. My general impression is that "Electric Version" is a slightly better overall album, but they're both fantastic, and "Twin Cinema" has some jaw-droppingly incredible songs. (I can't get enough of "Bones of an Idol.")

Also recently acquired Sufjan Stevens's "Illinois," but have yet to be in the proper mood to listen.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up