Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50790 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fear of Music
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2005, 11:28:48 pm »

I've been listening to Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites which I downloaded a couple weeks ago quite a lot... it sounds like a really impressive mix tape rock opera.  I'm still waiting for the single I ordered (the full length has a shitty cover -- looks like a bad photoshop job... I apologise, but I cannot have a truly ugly cover in my collection.. heh).

Also can't get enough of the new Calla album ' Collisions'... it's consistently good like the last album I got by them 'Televise' and really sets a mood.

Into the album Mountaineer - Sleep and Me as of today which is some dreamy sounding alt-country stuff.  here's a song I uploaded from it: Mountaineer - The Strangest Sound
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2005, 03:29:00 am »

hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable

i have been listening to the new records by broadcast and deerhoof which are some of the outstandinger of the yr. for certain

also this record "i trust my guitar, etc." by the magik markers which is fun staticky 5-20 minute punk songs, and the self titled lp by the band blood on the wall

ps i used to be old kentucky shark but that's all changed now !
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2005, 03:56:31 am »

I want to listen to Deerhoof simply because I love their name.  Is it possible to love a band just because they have a great name?  Would my love wane if I discovered they played New Country ala Garth Brooks?  I'll take comfort in the fact that any band with a name as cool as Deerhoof would never play New Country ala Garth Brooks.  I've never heard a single note of Deerhoof music, but I plan to see them perform in exactly one month, 11/11.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2005, 04:03:30 am »

Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable

Not yet, but I mean to pick it up. If it's that much better, I expect magic things, unto my CD player spewing sparks of magic and conveying me to the land of Honah Lee.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2005, 04:36:56 am »

Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
ps i used to be old kentucky shark but that's all changed now !


Welcome back.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2005, 01:23:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable

Not yet, but I mean to pick it up. If it's that much better, I expect magic things, unto my CD player spewing sparks of magic and conveying me to the land of Honah Lee.

Whateva. Mass Romantic may be better than Twin Cinema (I haven't listened to TC enough) but Electric Version is by far the best of the 3. There's no contest here. Even if you moved All for Swinging You Around to MR it still wouldn't be better.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2005, 01:30:48 pm »

i bought a cd at best buy the other day or so and am still feeling guilt.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 02:04:26 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable

Not yet, but I mean to pick it up. If it's that much better, I expect magic things, unto my CD player spewing sparks of magic and conveying me to the land of Honah Lee.

Whateva. Mass Romantic may be better than Twin Cinema (I haven't listened to TC enough) but Electric Version is by far the best of the 3. There's no contest here. Even if you moved All for Swinging You Around to MR it still wouldn't be better.


Agreed, I like Electric Version much better than Mass Romantic.  Haven't picked up the new one yet.  I need to pick up a bunch of stuff--the Iron & Wine/Calexico thing, the new Broken Social Scene.

Star--is the new Mew available domestically, or will I have to spring for the import?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 03:54:23 pm »

I just got a job again (Barnes & Nobles Booksellers #1979, Fiction Clerk what up!) , so hopefully I'll start buying records anew soon.
On Halloween, my ladyfriend and I are going to a Moutain Goats Halloween show. I am wearing a plastic Billy-Goat mask and she is wearing a plastic Sheep mask. They are creepy and frightening. There WILL be pictures.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2005, 04:32:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I just got a job again (Barnes & Nobles Booksellers #1979, Fiction Clerk what up!) , so hopefully I'll start buying records anew soon.
On Halloween, my ladyfriend and I are going to a Moutain Goats Halloween show. I am wearing a plastic Billy-Goat mask and she is wearing a plastic Sheep mask. They are creepy and frightening. There WILL be pictures.


Duuude, that's at the Knitting Factory, right?  I'm taking a New England Road Trip with my gentleman friend to see 'em at a gallery somewhere in Massachussetts, on the 27th or thereabouts.  I am pretty pumped.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2005, 04:36:42 pm »

I was going to suggest seeing them at the Iron hoss in Northampton MA on the 26th - cool venue in a great town - and then I remembered you'll get carded.  Have fun in Boston.

ETA: what the fuck is this, a new filter, or did I miss something?  H-O-R-S-E now comes out as "hoss"?  Screw you, J---h.  Fuck you!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2005, 04:55:57 pm »

I almost forgot that I have 3 tickets to see The New Pornographers at the posh Nightclub 9:30 this Saturday. Destroyer and Immaculate Machine opening. I've never heard of the 2nd one.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2005, 05:22:16 pm »

Aaaargh! Why does everyone else in the world get to see awesome bands and I'm stuck in West Bumfuck, MA?! Rage! Seething rage!

And also sincere hopes that y'all have a good time. Post pictures, Bozack.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2005, 07:52:09 pm »

Oh, for fuck's sake, V, how far is Northampton from you?  An hour, tops?  Just go.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fear of Music
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2005, 10:02:50 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

Star--is the new Mew available domestically, or will I have to spring for the import?


Import last I checked.  I'd go with amazon.co.uk since even with the conversion rate and no free shipping, I believe it's cheaper (£8.99 compared with $31.39 at amazon.com).  heh.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up