Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50734 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fear of Music
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2005, 10:04:51 pm »

oops... I meant to edit and accidently quoted.. har

Is there a way to delete a post? :|

---

....I guess I'll make use of this post if not.
I just heard the new arab strap album last night.  it's a bit weird at parts.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2005, 01:34:25 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Oh, for fuck's sake, V, how far is Northampton from you?  An hour, tops?  Just go.

Uhhm... about an hour and a half, and I have no car and precious few friends with cars. This creates problems. (For example, I just went through several days of intense psychodrama finding someone who could drive me forty-five minutes so I could take the motherfuck*ng GRE. For a concert? This is not happeing.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2005, 01:47:02 am »

OK, so I just looked at V's Livejournal to try to figure out where she lives that is an hour and a half from Northampton.... but I was stopped dead by the entry about a grade of 98% in Eavesdropping, overwhelmed by the certainty my life would have been totally different if I had attended a school that offered a course in Eavesdropping.

And about that GRE, V - any way we can make sure you go to grad school in a place with public transportation?  Because that story was just too sad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2005, 02:31:31 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
OK, so I just looked at V's Livejournal to try to figure out where she lives that is an hour and a half from Northampton.... but I was stopped dead by the entry about a grade of 98% in Eavesdropping, overwhelmed by the certainty my life would have been totally different if I had attended a school that offered a course in Eavesdropping.

And about that GRE, V - any way we can make sure you go to grad school in a place with public transportation?  Because that story was just too sad.

I hate to break your dreams, but "Eavesdropping" is my college Japanese program's term for listening-comprehension exercises. Why? I dunno.

And yes, all the grad school possibilities are big places. Big, big places. With public transportation. And hopefully my own car. Nice stuff like that.

Right. Music.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2005, 03:29:16 am »

How'd the GRE go?  Did you take the computer version?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2005, 12:52:50 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
How'd the GRE go?  Did you take the computer version?

Will be taking the computer version, in... three and a half hours or so. Wish me luck; this may be the only thing that gets me into graduate school.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2005, 01:09:52 pm »

i didn't have a car in college, and i got from west NH to NYC in a little over 2 hours once when my psycho girlfriend's ex-boyfriend drove me.

i am liking the cd i got at best buy but the guilt.

the guilt.

i wither.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2005, 02:24:31 pm »

Good luck on the GRE, dude.  I applied for the Honours program yesterday, which means the magical road to Trying to Get Into Grad School has already begun.

Also, it is too bad that you cannot make the trek to see the Mountain Goats.  So great is my committment that I might end up getting to Massachussetts via a road trip with my gentleman friend's parents, because I basically love the Mountain Goats more than life.  

(His parents are fine, they're lovely people, it's more just... conceptually terrifying.)
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2005, 02:45:35 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
How'd the GRE go?  Did you take the computer version?

Will be taking the computer version, in... three and a half hours or so. Wish me luck; this may be the only thing that gets me into graduate school.


Good luck!  Wish I'd known, I might have been able to help with some tips -- I used to teach for the Princeton Review.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Fear of Music
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2005, 02:45:48 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Agreed, I like Electric Version much better than Mass Romantic.  Haven't picked up the new one yet.  I need to pick up a bunch of stuff--the Iron & Wine/Calexico thing, the new Broken Social Scene.


Verdict on the Iron and Wine/Calexico thing - if, like me, you already have the original I&W demos for these songs and if, like me, you don't particularly care for Calexico, this disc is entirely superfluous.  (If the second condition applies to you but not the first, let me know, I can make the demos available for download.)

I guess I liked my Sam Beam a bit better when I thought that he was lo-fi because of some minimalist aesthetic.  Turns out he was lo-fi just because he was poor.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2005, 03:37:34 pm »

I don't know much about Iron and Wine, but Calexico are great.  IMHO of course.  Carry on.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Fear of Music
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2005, 09:34:30 pm »

I have the demos and while I like I&W lo-fi, I also liked the added in instruments/production quality versions, too... better for some songs and not as good for some though.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2005, 10:14:33 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Uhhm... about an hour and a half, and I have no car and precious few friends with cars. This creates problems. (For example, I just went through several days of intense psychodrama finding someone who could drive me forty-five minutes so I could take the motherfuck*ng GRE. For a concert? This is not happeing.)


Oh.  Well, in that case, don't go.

Seriously, I thought you were way the fuck closer to the Pioneer Valley than that.  Perhaps even within PVTA range.  Silly me.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2005, 11:21:54 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Uhhm... about an hour and a half, and I have no car and precious few friends with cars. This creates problems. (For example, I just went through several days of intense psychodrama finding someone who could drive me forty-five minutes so I could take the motherfuck*ng GRE. For a concert? This is not happeing.)


Oh.  Well, in that case, don't go.

Seriously, I thought you were way the fuck closer to the Pioneer Valley than that.  Perhaps even within PVTA range.  Silly me.

No worries. It's not like I've ever posted a clear map of my location on here, anyway.

(GRE updates for those who might still care: took it today. 740 Verbal, 730 Quantitative. I have no idea if those are actually good scores or not, relatively, but I think they're past the "get these or we'll laugh at you" requirements of the schools I want to apply to.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2005, 11:27:14 pm »

Well, when I took it in '02, that Verbal would have been 98th percentile and the Quantitative around 80th.  What about Analytical?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up