Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2005, 11:45:38 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Well, when I took it in '02, that Verbal would have been 98th percentile and the Quantitative around 80th.  What about Analytical?

It's Analytical Writing now, and thus it's not back yet, because they hand-grade the essays. That said, I'm pretty sure I hit that one out of the park. And yeah, so I heard from a friend of mine; apparently the median Verbal is something like 550, which is sort of pitiful compared to the Quantitative. (Shame I want to be a scientist, huh?)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2005, 11:51:23 pm »

So you don't do the logic games anymore?  Huh.  That was my best part.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2005, 01:47:49 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I hate to break your dreams, but "Eavesdropping" is my college Japanese program's term for listening-comprehension exercises. Why? I dunno.




Ah, well, I'm sure Eavesdropping would have been better than what we did in my last few Japanese classes.  Which were mostly of the "Slave over assigned reading which is never discussed in class" variety.

I know this thread is supposed to be about music, but does everyone have to go to grad school nowadays?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2005, 09:05:56 am »

Pretty much. The problem is that most everyone goes to college now, so a four year degree has less and less importance - that's entry level at best.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2005, 01:07:26 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I know this thread is supposed to be about music, but does everyone have to go to grad school nowadays?


I sure as hell do.  That BA in philosophy ain't getting me far.
Logged
goose means greedy

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Fear of Music
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2005, 03:17:08 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I don't know much about Iron and Wine, but Calexico are great.  IMHO of course.  Carry on.


I've only listened to a few Calexico MP3s, plus this "In The Reins" EP.  It strikes me that Calexico fans might not be too excited about the EP either, seeing as how most of the songs (I believe) are I&W songs, and Sam Beam does most of the singing.  It's more like Sam Beam and the Calexicos than a "split EP."

In any case, I'm interested in Calexico but inexperienced.  Any suggestions on where to start digging into their discography?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2005, 05:27:32 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "wombat"
I know this thread is supposed to be about music, but does everyone have to go to grad school nowadays?


I sure as hell do.  That BA in philosophy ain't getting me far.


I did pretty well with a BA in Poli Sci and Spanish (which I never use).

I took the oath not to become a professional academic. That planet is too weird and scary for me to live on.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2005, 06:09:43 pm »

Quote from: "aparrish"
I've only listened to a few Calexico MP3s, plus this "In The Reins" EP.  It strikes me that Calexico fans might not be too excited about the EP either, seeing as how most of the songs (I believe) are I&W songs, and Sam Beam does most of the singing.  It's more like Sam Beam and the Calexicos than a "split EP."

In any case, I'm interested in Calexico but inexperienced.  Any suggestions on where to start digging into their discography?


As a devoted Calexico fan, I'm certainly excited about the EP.  It doesn't sound like any Calexico album, really, but it does have the Calexico signature.  And yes, Sam Beam (right?) wrote and sang most of the material, but from what little of his material I've heard, it doesn't sound exactly like Iron and Wine, either.  Also, I think Joey and Sam sing well together, and so although I do miss hearing Joey's voice in the foreground more often, the vocals on the EP are a nice revelation.

Calexico fans are probably used to Joey and John taking the back seat, with bands like Giant Sand and projects like OP8.  They leave a stronger impression on this project, in my opinion--except maybe for the song, 'Lost in Space,' from OP8, which was written and sung by Joey.

My two favorite Calexico albums are "Feast of Wire" and "The Black Light," and I think that they are great places to start.  One reason why "In the Reins" sounds different from anything Calexico has done in the past is the absence of the mariachi influence.  So be prepared for that, but they are great albums.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2005, 05:58:45 pm »

if you want calexico, download the song "not even stevie nicks".

it's real nice

edit: or the cover of "andmoreagain" by love
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2005, 06:13:27 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Praise for Calexico

What he wrote.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2005, 10:07:56 pm »

I've been making a lot of mix cd's recently, and I've learned a few things.
1. The Mountain Goats have a song for every occasion.
2. I like the live version of "Genius of Love," by the Tom Tom Club, much more than the album version.
3. "Stay Awake," a compilation album of different artists covering Disney songs is a great investment, because it contains a number of songs perfect for mix tapes- Sun Ra doing "Pink Elephants," Tom Waits singing "Heigh Ho" in such a way that you assume the singers are resurrection men, Sinead O'Conner doing a really good "Someday My Prince Will Come," Los Lobos doing "I Wan'a Be Like You", Stipe does something....it's all pretty good.


Also, while we're talking about the rigors of higher education...does anyone want to proofread my college essays? Actually, have I saved anyone's life, so they feel obligated to proofread my college essays? I kind of want to actually be in college this time next year, and I want to make sure my essays won't make schools shit themselves and die. Some of them are kind of funny.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2005, 11:32:10 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I've been making a lot of mix cd's recently, and I've learned a few things.
1. The Mountain Goats have a song for every occasion.


You know, I've noticed this, and it's started to scare me, cause as soon as I think how lovely one of their love songs, like "Riches and Wonders" is, I immediately realize that they also have songs for the next time I've driving bitter and drunk across the country cursing the name of whoever the previous song'd been about.  Which is an interesting combination of comforting and ominous for me, that they've got my back for every conceivable mood or situation.

In sadder news, I might not be able to go to their show in Boston, cause I have a quiz the next day worth 10%..... herggghhh.

Quote from: "Bozack"
2. I like the live version of "Genius of Love," by the Tom Tom Club, much more than the album version.


Dude, I watched the Stop Making Sense video for the first time a couple nights ago.  It is transcendant.

Quote from: "Bozack"
3. "Stay Awake," a compilation album of different artists covering Disney songs is a great investment, because it contains a number of songs perfect for mix tapes- Sun Ra doing "Pink Elephants," Tom Waits singing "Heigh Ho" in such a way that you assume the singers are resurrection men, Sinead O'Conner doing a really good "Someday My Prince Will Come," Los Lobos doing "I Wan'a Be Like You", Stipe does something....it's all pretty good.


Oh my god, there's a whole album?  I have quite frankly been listening to that Sun Ra song on the mix you sent me over and over and over, even more than I have been listening to the CD in its entirety, which is plenty.  

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, while we're talking about the rigors of higher education...does anyone want to proofread my college essays? Actually, have I saved anyone's life, so they feel obligated to proofread my college essays? I kind of want to actually be in college this time next year, and I want to make sure my essays won't make schools shit themselves and die. Some of them are kind of funny.


I can proofread the one you sent me, but if you want, y'know, a grown-up to do it, that's cool.
Logged
goose means greedy

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2005, 03:20:38 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I've been making a lot of mix cd's recently, and I've learned a few things.
1. The Mountain Goats have a song for every occasion.


You know, I've noticed this, and it's started to scare me, cause as soon as I think how lovely one of their love songs, like "Riches and Wonders" is, I immediately realize that they also have songs for the next time I've driving bitter and drunk across the country cursing the name of whoever the previous song'd been about.  Which is an interesting combination of comforting and ominous for me, that they've got my back for every conceivable mood or situation.

Holy shit I am so into the Mountain Goats these days.  I was driving through a couple states south to see the SO and I put on the Coroner's Gambit, and I think it may just be the perfect driving album.  God damn.
Logged

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2005, 03:32:29 am »

even if it's a reprint and not rare as hell any more, my copy of zopilote machine is totally great to me

but i'm thinking all hail west texas is my favorite ? or full force galesburg. i also liked we shall all be healed a lot more than anyone else seemed to, and i think sunset tree is lousy

coroner's gambit though, yeah i can see where youre coming from definitely
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2005, 04:12:54 am »

Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
if you want calexico, download the song "not even stevie nicks".

it's real nice

edit: or the cover of "andmoreagain" by love


I love "Not Even Stevie Nicks."  That whole album is great.  And did they do "Andmoreagain," too?  I have "Alone Again Or" on that Convict Pool EP, but they have some tour only EPs that I don't have.

Anyway, Paul, you gonna catch them down there?  I don't know know where in Texas they'll be, but I know they are there a couple nights.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up