Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50735 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2005, 04:21:55 am »

whoops i meant alone again or









.. carry on
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2005, 02:27:15 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Anyway, Paul, you gonna catch them down there?  I don't know know where in Texas they'll be, but I know they are there a couple nights.

Shit man, they ain't playing in Houston.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2005, 04:35:01 pm »

OK, so the Mountain Goats show was sold out, but that doesn't matter because I just found out John Cale is playing here in November, and god damned if I'm not going to be front row & centre, screaming like, um, a big girly geek.
Logged
goose means greedy

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2005, 03:41:22 pm »

I feel I should update you all that I've been relistening to Electric Version and it's consistently better than I remembered. But Mass Romantic is still significantly lovabler. I will take this to the ring.
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

V-Adore

  • Guest
Fear of Music
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2005, 07:17:07 pm »

Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
I feel I should update you all that I've been relistening to Electric Version and it's consistently better than I remembered. But Mass Romantic is still significantly lovabler. I will take this to the ring.

I am not really prepared to argue about which NPs album is the awesomest. I tend to go in fits and starts, myself -- one day Electric Version has all my attention, then it's Twin Cinema, then I rediscover Cake or whatever. That said, I think I've pinned down the difference between them, at least to me. I think that TC has incredible songs -- some truly majestic stuff, really -- but that it just doesn't hang together as an album like EV does. It feels like a collection of songs they had lying around and not a full-scale work, but EV has a good coherent feel to it.
Logged

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Fear of Music
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2005, 12:59:34 am »

3 albums I'm really listening to right now are

My Morning Jacket - Z.  Weird album for an americana band.  Sad dance music.

The Residents - Roadworms.  The album itself is a few years old, but I just got around to it.  I think if you like Tom Waits you could probably appreciate this.  Their last album, Animal Lover, used animal mating sounds and noises as percussion.  Whales, humans, crickets, frogs, et al.

Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks.  Great album with Steve Albini all over it.  Punk from the Ukraine.  Near dub sometimes.  If any of you saw Everything Is Illuminated, Eugene Hutz is the lead singer of this band.

EDIT: The Last Waltz has been all over IFC lately, so I've been listening to that, too, I guess.
Logged
R U Passionate??

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2005, 01:14:21 am »

Right now I'm working on a review of the John Cale show I saw last weekend, and listening to his new album, which I got in the mail for free.  I find this to be rad.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2005, 05:11:45 am »

Quote from: "Thee"
EDIT: The Last Waltz has been all over IFC lately, so I've been listening to that, too, I guess.


TIVO'ed it!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2005, 06:11:02 am »

Quote from: "Thee"
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks.  Great album with Steve Albini all over it.  Punk from the Ukraine.  Near dub sometimes.  If any of you saw Everything Is Illuminated, Eugene Hutz is the lead singer of this band.


Sounds cool, but I'm just trying to figure out the Albini/dub connection.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2005, 01:42:46 am »

I'm going to a Yo La Tengo Hanukkah show, in Hoboken, on the 29th of December. It will be the third time I will see Yo La Tengo live, and I just might shit myself.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Fear of Music
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2005, 05:59:56 pm »

....................................... ............Brown Santa!
Logged
I am older now.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Fear of Music
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2005, 03:13:11 am »

Quote from: "miles"

Sounds cool, but I'm just trying to figure out the Albini/dub connection.


Well, he engineered it, and they are really heavily ska and dub sometimes, I guess is what I was trying to say.
Logged
R U Passionate??

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2005, 05:11:49 am »

Quote from: "Thee"
Quote from: "miles"

Sounds cool, but I'm just trying to figure out the Albini/dub connection.


Well, he engineered it, and they are really heavily ska and dub sometimes, I guess is what I was trying to say.


Oooohhhhh, OK.  I read it as something like it has an Albini like feel, and immediately I think of At Action Park by Shellac or Jesus Lizard's Liar.  And then you mention dub?  Say WHAT!?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2005, 01:10:15 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm waiting for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to arrive as I've heard lots of good things.


I listened to this at the record store today and it made me giggle on the first song.  That means it passes The Test, which means I'll buy it when I have money.  

I bought the 7 song Calexico/Iron and Wine album because they're PLAYING HERE IN TWO WEEKS.  yeah, excited.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2005, 01:16:58 am »

Quote from: "Thee"
3 albums I'm really listening to right now are

My Morning Jacket - Z.  Weird album for an americana band.  Sad dance music.
.


Bozack has heard this, but this last wednesday my brother and I went to their last show of their tour, seeing as it was fittting that they end it in the hometown.  My little brother goes to school with Jim James' little brother.  Also, he lives next door to me.  I'm not so huge of a fan anymore, but I like to tell people these things.  So VHS or Beta opened and then MMJ starts when my bro gets a call from the other bro to see if he wants to go back stage.  I am not invited (these dudes are 14) and I'm left to stew amongst the drunkies.  I get re-seated twice and realize little bro has every intention of keeping me ditched so i go home after 4 songs, but he spends the rest of the night hanging out with the guys during and after the show.  I was really angry, but then realized he'd have had a not-so-awesome time had he been nice enough to come back with me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up