Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50736 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Fear of Music
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2005, 02:21:43 am »

Quote from: "Beatrice"

Bozack has heard this, but this last wednesday my brother and I went to their last show of their tour, seeing as it was fittting that they end it in the hometown.  My little brother goes to school with Jim James' little brother.  Also, he lives next door to me.  I'm not so huge of a fan anymore, but I like to tell people these things.  So VHS or Beta opened and then MMJ starts when my bro gets a call from the other bro to see if he wants to go back stage.  I am not invited (these dudes are 14) and I'm left to stew amongst the drunkies.  I get re-seated twice and realize little bro has every intention of keeping me ditched so i go home after 4 songs, but he spends the rest of the night hanging out with the guys during and after the show.  I was really angry, but then realized he'd have had a not-so-awesome time had he been nice enough to come back with me.


I wanted to see them when they came through santa barbara, but that was mostly for Saul Williams.  Was he still opening for them when you saw them?
Logged
R U Passionate??

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2005, 04:05:58 pm »

Nope.  VHS or Beta is another local band.  They get way too much credit for being some repetitive dumbed-down wanna-be-French techno dance music without so much electronica.  Dude jokingly called us "fuckers" because no one was dancing, but then he has a hipster mullet so I wasn't about to try and care.  I'm not even gonna look up the lead singer's name.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2005, 11:36:43 pm »

It's Craig PAHFISTER.
Actually, it's Craig Pfunder, and he has some recockulous way of pronouncing it. My friends and I call him Pahfister because one day he was in Lynn's, and my friend Adam looked over and said, "Hey! There's Craig PAHFISTER!"
You all should go to the VHS or Beta website, if only to see how ridiculous these guys are. Pahfister is the second guy from the right on the main page, and his hair is...let's just say that my brother and I call insufferable hipster image fuckers "haircuts," in his honor. Check out the gallery, for completely generic indie rock band photos.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the following.
I bought Guided by Voices Bee Thousand, which is really good. And I really, really, really want this. I want it so, so, so badly.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2005, 12:04:23 am »

i hate flash websites.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2005, 06:20:38 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
And I really, really, really want this. I want it so, so, so badly.


Yeah me too!  If I buy it for you will you buy it for me?  Doesn't that cancel it out or something?  Remain in Light, especially, is an album that just screams to be heard in the best possible way.  Wonder if they'll ever be released individually?

But, It's hard to picture me buying it anytime in the near future.  I did get this, though, and I never thought I would.  But that was when I had a REAL job making REAL money.

So I bought T. Rex's Slider tonight, because I had some credit at my local record shop.  Man it rocks.  I was hoping they would have season 3 of KITH in, because that's the season with Bruce singing the Terrier song, and I love it so much, but they don't carry it (they do carry some DVDs).  Oh well, I'll have to wait.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2005, 06:30:24 am »

Quote from: "celavie"
The music is well worth it. Listening to these SACDs will make you aware of how incredibly desolate the current musical landscape is. I find myself REALLY appreciating Dylan, the Dead, the Beatles, the Stones, the Doors.... Senility? Surely you jest. The music and songwriting of these groups ages well and endures.


Herghhh.
Reading that review of the Dylan box set actually drained me of life. I am literally older than I should be now. Three years or so just flew away into the dusty asshole of whoever "celavie" is.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2005, 05:44:21 pm »

Surely you jest.

Yeah, nothing worse than a douche bag who thinks that good music will die with Mick Jagger (I'm thinking that he'll outlive Dylan and McCartney.  We already know that Ringo is next).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2005, 08:10:13 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the following.
I bought Guided by Voices Bee Thousand, which is really good. And I really, really, really want this. I want it so, so, so badly.


Bee Thousand is seriously one of my most favorite albums ever. I wish there was a compilation though of all the EP's and B-Sides that were released before and after it though - the box set that came out a couple of years ago had two of them, but there were some amazing short print run EP's from that little era (Fast Japanese Spin Cycle, Static Airplane Jive, Get out of My Stations) - and there's apparently a lost Peel session floating about with slightly more intense versions of "Break Even" and "Do the Earth".

I can't find jack on an air date though... They actually may have just been both on the super rare Peel Out (in the States) comps, where each track had John Peel talking about each song. But the version of "Break Even" I heard on the Ole Miss radio station 10 years ago seemed like it had a larger sound than the Grand Hour version.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2005, 10:38:01 pm »

I'm the only person who thinks Bee Thousand is meh and Alien Lanes is their absolute masterwork.  

How do you do?
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2005, 11:19:02 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm the only person who thinks Bee Thousand is meh and Alien Lanes is their absolute masterwork.  

How do you do?


I actually like both almost equally - but thinking about it, I would rank Propeller above both of them. All three are big time favorites though.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2005, 12:38:16 am »

Time to step up and be a dude.
This is the first Guided By Voices album I've bought.
I first got into them in like...hergh..sophomore year, when my brother, who was working at a record store, gave me Box (Abridged). I thought it was rad, and then promptly forgot about it until last year, when I started noticing the kick-ass songs coming up on my iTunes. Then, I googled "Guided By Voices torrents" and got some really awesome live show bootlegs (Live at the Bluebird, Bloomington, IN 10-25-04; Live at the Echo Lounge, Atlanta, GA, 7-10-04), which are just amazing.
So I finally decided to buy something. I'm planning on working my way through as much of the catalogue as possible. So, Alien Lanes is next?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Fear of Music
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2005, 02:56:23 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
So, Alien Lanes is next?


Either Propeller or Alien Lanes.

Propeller reminds me a lot of the Who - especially A Quick One or Sell Out. In some ways, it's a different record than a lot of what they did before or after. It's probably the closest Bob got to gigantic-sounding rock anthems when they were still recording on four tracks in a garage. I think this may have been actually done in a fairly servicable studio setup though. Either way, it was the most clean-sounding album they did in the early 90's.

You may be able to find it used sharing a CD with an album called Vampire on Titus.  It's a good record, but about half the songs on it sound horrifyingly bootlegish. They sound like the vocals were recorded at the bottom of a well almost. If you see copies of VoT floating around, check the back - they should have everything here listed.

Alien Lanes is closer to Bee Thousand sound and song style-wise than Propeller was.  There's really great songs on both - I guess what has me putting Bee Thousand over is that more of its' songs were a lot more immediate to get into. More instant pop classics, I guess.
Logged

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2005, 02:58:31 am »

the new Destroyer is eating me alive  :)
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Fear of Music
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2005, 03:02:32 am »

I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Fear of Music
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2005, 04:47:01 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!


I'll give you some time, but I expect a review.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Up