I recently obtained a copy of the forthcoming Belle & Sebastian, and, so far, so good. I have the new Cat Power, but haven't listened to it yet, but, as I'm starting to take the train to work next week, I'm sure I'll get some good iPod time in (Note: This message, for some reason, took forever to complete, and I have now listened to some of the new Cat Power. It's good). I'm very excited for the Tortoise/Bonnie 'Prince' Billy record (thanks for the track Starlight!). It'd be nice to see them tour together, but, honestly, I'd rather see BPB tour alone.
I'm still getting more into AC Newman/The New Pornographers. I think AC Newman's a genius. I'm seeing them open for Belle & Sebastian up in Seattle this coming March. Does Neko Case typically tour with the band?
Built to Spill comes out with a new record in April, and I've heard most of it. It sounds like it will be a good one, a return to form. Probably not their best, but certainly better than their last one. Calexico's new record comes out soon, too, I think.
I'm listening to loads of Saint Etienne. I'm trying to decide whether I should drive down to see them in LA in February, or go to my friend's birthday party in Wendover (which means I'll just get really drunk. I don't gamble much). They are on the same day. Has anyone seen a Saint Etienne show? Is it worth the drive and money I don't really have (but will have more of by then), plus the risk of hurting my friend's feelings?
Stereolab's touring too, and of course coming nowhere near Salt Lake. I'd also love to see them, as I've been listening to them quite a bit lately.
Looks like a good year for music.