Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50990 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2006, 07:41:51 pm »

i recently picked up a copy of the Toadies' live album.

it is the rock.

and i am saddened that they have apparently drifted off into the ether on their divers vectors.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2006, 07:43:30 pm »

i recently picked up a copy of the Toadies' live album.

it is the rock.

and i am saddened that they have apparently drifted off into the ether on their divers vectors.



Yeah, what happened to the Toadies?  They put out 1 album of awesomeness then disappeared.

They are from Texas BTW, in case anyone didn't know that.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2006, 05:36:29 am »

 I think that the Pleather ep and first 3 demos are the best by the Toadies. Seriously, that stuff makes their first full length sound like such a steaming pile by comparison (except "Tyler").
Logged
I am older now.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2006, 05:38:28 am »

Are we talking about two different bands?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2006, 05:41:42 am »

Are we talking about two different bands?

Yeah, I think so. There is/was an actually "The Toadies." Though using that name as a diminutive for Toad the Wet Sprocket is a pretty cool idea.
Logged
I am older now.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2006, 05:46:59 am »

I think that the Pleather ep and first 3 demos are the best by the Toadies. Seriously, that stuff makes their first full length sound like such a steaming pile by comparison (except "Tyler").

Well that shit must rock like a hurricane because as I have stated, the Possum Kingdom album kicks my lame ass.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2006, 06:15:46 am »

Well that shit must rock like a hurricane because as I have stated, the Possum Kingdom album kicks my lame ass.

~Paul

The early stuff has got negative mercy. I'll dig up the mp3s of their demos I have and host them somewhere if you would like to hear. The Pleather ep has Mister Love, Possum Kingdom, Happy Face, and the insanely awesome Got a Heart, all recorded at an ideal level of rawness.

edit: oops, Pleather also has the song Ruth.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 06:18:50 am by antioch »
Logged
I am older now.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2006, 11:32:47 pm »

OK, now tell me about The New Pornographers. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2006, 11:40:24 pm »

Excellent choice. They're a "supergroup" on the Matador label. It is basically impossible to be unhappy while listening to their music. I particularly like All For Swinging You Around and From Blown Speakers. You can listen to samples of damned near everything on their site (I advise that you don't accidentally leave off "the").

More details here.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2006, 12:32:47 am »

OK, now tell me about The New Pornographers. 

Wombat,

I'm now more into them thanks to this board, specifically V-Adore, who ranted and raved about them a while back.  I've liked just about everything I've heard from them so far.  Also, I'm seeing them up in Seattle in March, when they open for Belle & Sebastian.

May I suggest AC Newman's album?  It came out in 2004, and I can't remember the title.  And yes, I'm too lazy to google or amazon or allmusic it or whatever, but, come on.  It's the only album he released in 2004.  It may be his only album.  It's fantastic.  Oh, he's the brains behind The New Pornographers.  I'll be doing a mix CD soon, with a song of his on it, and so let me know if you want a copy (though it may be a while before I get it done).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2006, 12:53:19 am »

Y'all are so good with the education.

I have always been disturbed by the name Neko Case.  It sounds like something #####***** would make up.  Also, you kids today, why are the song clips on websites so short?  I need more time than that to make up my mind.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2006, 12:58:39 am »

It's these kids super-short attention span. Not enough Ritalin in the world.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2006, 02:01:06 am »

I'd just like to take some credit for exposing V to the New Pornographers via my mix thankyouverymuch.

Also, there are 4 full songs available on their label's site. http://www.matadorrecords.com/the_new_pornographers/music.html

Miles is talking about A.C. Newman's album The Slow Wonder. I don't like his solo stuff as much but I do still like it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2006, 02:39:14 am »

I owe my love of New Pornographers (especially Neco Case) to this board as well.  Was it on your Mix Cort Jester?  I'm sorry i've forgotten and the disc are back at the house.  Before TOUAMB Neco Case was just that girl with the killer bod and the naked pictures on a pool table.  Would someone please find those pictures again...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2006, 02:51:00 am »

I'd just like to take some credit for exposing V to the New Pornographers via my mix thankyouverymuch.

Actually, uh, the thing that got me interested was Carlos's mix, which featured "July Jones" prominently. Oh, that song.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up