Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50923 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2006, 07:13:32 pm »

I meant mainly because you can listen to any CD they have and they tend to carry a lot of the kinds of bands that we discuss here. I know I've been at off-peak so they'd let me take 6 or 7 CDs into the listening room and stay there for over an hour. None of this 30-second-samples-of-mainstream-stuff-on-a-tiny-comuter-with-an-uncomfortable-chair crap

And there's a 10% discount if you have a recent movie stub from the Uptown.
Logged

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2006, 12:53:51 am »

do you guys listen to destroyer (dan bejar (the nasal voiced new pornographer)'s band)

because destroyer is probably your best bet as far as good things go
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2006, 01:01:59 am »

None of this 30-second-samples-of-mainstream-stuff-on-a-tiny-comuter-with-an-uncomfortable-chair crap


Ah, that sounds interesting. Just what I wanted.  A good project for when I'm unemployed again.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2006, 01:20:05 am »

do you guys listen to destroyer (dan bejar (the nasal voiced new pornographer)'s band)

because destroyer is probably your best bet as far as good things go

I'm not a fan. I got one album from eMusic but only liked one song, and when I saw them open for NP they really weren't all that great. But I really wanted to like them because hey, Dan Bejar.
Logged

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2006, 03:03:26 am »

if the one album you heard was either "this night" or "your blues", you should probably check out either "thief" or "streethawk" before giving up entirely

or, whatever
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2006, 03:24:10 am »

It was Streekhawk, actually. Not bad, just not my bag. The SO likes them
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2006, 10:56:53 pm »

I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!

OK, so is it worth it?  I mean, buying the Talking Heads albums I have again so I can get the new mix?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2006, 01:51:54 am »

I mean, I did it, but that was also because I had never bought a Talking Heads album un-used- I figured that it was time for me to hit the kitty. In regards to the mix, I mean...I'm no audiophile, and maybe it's just my brain playing tricks on me, but the new mix sounds really good. For just one instance- I had never noticed that bird sounds in "Love -> Building on Fire" before. The new mix is really clear and has a really great range.
A++ WOULD BUY AGAIN
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2006, 02:05:37 am »

Yeah, that's the tough thing with these new mixes/masters coming out for just about every band that recorded before 1993.  It sounds good, but I can't really tell for sure, as my ear isn't that well-trained.  I do know that the Rolling Stone re-master series made a big difference, but that was partially because there had been a big mistake in mastering the first round of CDs.

Anyway, I may just buy them separately.  I only own the first five, and can't really get into much after Speaking in Tongues.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2006, 02:49:14 pm »

How come none of you ever told me how much I like American Analog Set?  I wish you all ill.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2006, 12:45:39 am »

What album/s have you heard?  I haven't heard the most recent, but have heard just about everything up until it.  Favorite two are Golden Band and Know by Heart.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #221 on: February 07, 2006, 05:48:11 am »

I bought a John Peel collection off of eBay-
6 DVDs containing 264 Radio One shows. 1 DVD with 20 Finnish Radio Mafia shows. 3 DVDs with 7 TV appearances. 1 CD with radio tributes. It's like 540 HOURS of music, not counting the TV stuff. I paid a dollar per ten hours of music.
Everything is awesome.

EDIT- Not only does the set come with everything seen above, but for some reason the maker decided to fill the extra space on one of the discs with a bunch of Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums. I'm almost certain this was made specifically for me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 06:26:03 am by Bozack »
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2006, 02:41:04 pm »

What album/s have you heard?  I haven't heard the most recent, but have heard just about everything up until it.  Favorite two are Golden Band and Know by Heart.

Pretty much just the new one. 
Free downloadage here and at Salon.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2006, 02:55:49 pm »

The new Belle and Sebastian got a glowing review over at Pitchfork.  They are a band that seems interesting to me, but i've never actually heard other than one cut off of someone's mix tape from last year (or was it the year before?).  I would like to hear your opinion of Belle and Sebastian and their new album.  Jough, you're a big fan aren't you?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2006, 07:35:48 pm »

The new Belle and Sebastian got a glowing review over at Pitchfork. 

Forgive me, indie folks, but: this makes me nervous. Hoo boy.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up