Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50936 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2006, 10:01:46 pm »

Can I drag this thread back to New Pornographers for a minute?  Damn, this music is like drugs.  Thank you all.

Oh and - I got my order from Amazon and it was two CDs from New Pornographers and two from Bare Naked Ladies.  I didn't realize how bizarre that was when I made the order.

Now, a bunch of Talking Heads on CD also seems like a good idea.  I would not have bought this before, because I have a rule against being the kind of old fogey who only buys music from when they were younger.  But now that I have bought like eight CDs in a row by people I never heard before last month, I think it's OK.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2006, 01:10:52 am »

Forgive me, indie folks, but: this makes me nervous. Hoo boy.

Pitchfork ain't that bad.  And the new album is good, by the way.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2006, 01:29:35 am »

Now, a bunch of Talking Heads on CD also seems like a good idea.  I would not have bought this before, because I have a rule against being the kind of old fogey who only buys music from when they were younger.  But now that I have bought like eight CDs in a row by people I never heard before last month, I think it's OK.

I'm so proud of you right now Wombat.  I've got a little tear in my eye.  Now, we all expect a mix disc.  A little bit of the old, a little bit of the new.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2006, 01:33:50 am »

Forgive me, indie folks, but: this makes me nervous. Hoo boy.

Pitchfork is a bit of a whipping boy around here, but there is no doubt that they are rabid fans of a lot of the same bands that we are.  I mean, they gave New Pornographers a 9 rating.  So, what Miles said, they "ain't that bad."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2006, 01:38:18 am »

I guess what gets to me about Pitchfork is that they're frequently pretentious, even when they share my opinions, and more damningly, I never have any actual feel for the music they've reviewed. There's nothing that irritates me more than a review that doesn't give me any idea whether or not I'll like the reviewee, and reviews that don't even give me any objective information about the reviewee confuse me and frustrate me even more. I understand that writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but honestly, guys.

Mind you, I don't go around all Pitchfork-hating. I just am never sure whether to trust their endorsements, is all. If the B&S is good, I'll see about acquiring.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2006, 01:43:47 am »

I guess what gets to me about Pitchfork is that they're frequently pretentious, even when they share my opinions, and more damningly, I never have any actual feel for the music they've reviewed. There's nothing that irritates me more than a review that doesn't give me any idea whether or not I'll like the reviewee, and reviews that don't even give me any objective information about the reviewee confuse me and frustrate me even more. I understand that writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but honestly, guys.

Mind you, I don't go around all Pitchfork-hating. I just am never sure whether to trust their endorsements, is all. If the B&S is good, I'll see about acquiring.

Well I did ask because I value your opinion more than Pitchforks.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2006, 01:47:25 am »

i am incredilbly serious when i say that Clutch's ***** Hive/Exodus album is the best of this decade.

if i hadn't already chosen my epitaph, that would be it.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2006, 02:00:37 am »

i am incredilbly serious when i say that Clutch's ##### Hive/Exodus album is the best of this decade.

That endorsement is enough for me.  I will make my purchase this very day.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2006, 07:21:27 am »

The new Belle & Sebastian is okay - in my opinion it's their second worst album (behind Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like a Peasant) but it's not as good as their previous album, and not nearly as good as the one-two punch of "If You're Feeling Sinister" (their best) and "The Boy with the Arab Strap" (released a year later, many of the songs from the previous session, and also very good with the exception of two tracks that I actually had to REMOVE from the album and re-burn).

Anyway, if you've ever wondered what it would sound like if The Smiths, The Sundays, and The Proclaimers had a baby, check out Belle & Sebastian.  "If You're Feeling Sinister" is undoubtedly their best album.  And some of the EPs released between those two glorious albums are also among their best songs.

FWIW, I've hated the side-projects that the members of B&S have put out over the years.  Looper and The Gentle Waves in particular were utterly hateful and not worth my $12.

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2006, 07:22:31 pm »

looper's the one that was on all those ibm commercials right ? the "c'mon .. c'mon" song ? that was kind of an adorable song

yeah i dig on the life pursuit. i'm not huge on b and s but i like these songs
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2006, 11:13:27 pm »

Bringing this thread together with the other one, the spouse walked in on the New Pornographers for the first time tonight and said "They sound like the Beatles!"  I objected to this and we agreed to compromise on 'sort of retro.'
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2006, 12:06:30 am »

Bringing this thread together with the other one, the spouse walked in on the New Pornographers for the first time tonight and said "They sound like the Beatles!"  I objected to this and we agreed to compromise on 'sort of retro.'

I dunno, I can sort of understand this. If I had to describe it (slightly pretentiously), I'd say they played rock that had a new sound without affecting that "we're ashamed of pop history" thing a lot of experimental indie bands take up, so you get music that sounds new and fresh but also reminiscent of good old stuff. It's not so much retro as it is unashamed of the past and not reinventing-the-wheel-y.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2006, 04:02:25 am »

i am incredilbly serious when i say that Clutch's ##### Hive/Exodus album is the best of this decade.

if i hadn't already chosen my epitaph, that would be it.

That endorsement is enough for me.  I will make my purchase this very day.

~Paul

Clutching my Clutch

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2006, 10:38:06 pm »

Clutching my Clutch

~Paul

BooYah.

did i tell you it rocked,
or did i tell you it rocked.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2006, 10:44:27 pm »

did i tell you it rocked

You told me it rocked.  However I couldn't understand why it was so staticy.  I thought I had a defective copy.  Then I played some other music and it was also staticy.  I thought my i-pod had gone bad.  Then I realized my phone jack wasn't plugged in all the way.  Problem solved.  I'll give it a non staticy listen in about 18 minutes.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Reminds me of Monster Magnet.

"First we get some surgery
Lost the kids then our identities.
But one thing I know for a fact,
Moustache stays right where it's at."

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up