Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Music  (Read 50835 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2006, 10:47:25 pm »

Reminds me of Monster Magnet.

"First we get some surgery
Lost the kids then our identities.
But one thing I know for a fact,
Moustache stays right where it's at."


oh shit, that's totally, eh, serendipitous or somesuch.  you have a car that shoots fire, too,
which is sort of like a primer grey camaro.  or something.

anyways,
song 1 is, to me, like, reminscent, or, maybe a nod to some of their older songs.
keep in mind the keyboardist/organist only hooked up with them recently,
played on 3 or 4 songs last album.
so,
keep that in mind that the other 4 have been together for a real long time,
and the organist is new.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2006, 05:58:49 pm »

wondering what cats think of the new fuhlaming lips record

i usually am not all about the band but it has got a handful of tracks that make me pretty happy
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2006, 05:16:33 am »

I am so confused by that
isn't this album supposed to come out a year from now?
how can it be leaked if it isn't done, is what I'm asking.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2006, 05:38:44 am »

I am so confusetelling by that
isn't this album supposed to come out a year from now?
how can it be leaked if it isn't done, is what I'm asking.

Yeah, I don't get why people want to hear unfinished tracks.  And if it's a year away from being completed, what are they hearing?  I'm thinking at this point all they would have is basically Wayne and the boys sitting in the studio making fart noises.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2006, 05:49:33 am »

I don't know.  I don't generally mind hearing rough cuts of tracks.  If you see the band on tour before the album comes out, you're likely to hear the songs anyway, in at least slightly different form.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2006, 06:15:13 am »

it comes out in, like, april or something, doesn't it ?

i mean this is the final album, not rough cuts or anything. bombastic as it's gonna git at this pt

edit: yeah, apr 4 '06
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2006, 06:31:37 am »

Ok, that's different.  I can wait though.  A new Flaming Lips record.  Joy of Joys, I spent many an hour listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink *****s.  I used the album art as a desktop image for about a year.  Yeah that ones an awesome album.  My expectations are high for this new one.  I forgot that it was coming out so soon.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2006, 12:12:21 pm »

I try so hard to like Yoshimi...
but I"m still that guy who pisses off his friends by being all "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, goddamnit!", all listening to "Jesus Shootin' Heroin" and being mad when people haven't heard of it, all having the entire Lips' discography on my computer, all burning mix cds for friends which are actually just a whole album, in order, with maybe Yoshime Pt. 1 at the end of it...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2006, 03:43:41 pm »

I try so hard to like Yoshimi...
but I"m still that guy who pisses off his friends by being all "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, goddamnit!"

Seconded.  Not that I have friends, but...
Logged

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2006, 05:38:11 am »

hey guys

folk t-rex vs glam t-rex?

what do you think

because i am digging furiously on "unicorn" at the moment
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2006, 01:35:31 pm »

That's a question that doesn't even really need asking.

Although I was suprised that some of his folkier stuff is actually pretty good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2006, 06:55:56 pm »

folk t-rex vs glam t-rex?

Glam of course, but the folky stuff is good too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2006, 05:43:01 pm »

OK, I'm looking through all my old CDs to decide what to RIP and BURN and SHRED AND KILL KILL KILL and whatever I have to do to copy it to my new MP3 player...

So, I have this Hootie and the Blowgiraffe that I am listening to for the first time in ages.  I, um, like it.  Does this make me a bad person?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2006, 07:50:42 pm »

Hell no, that is one catchy album.

I however cannot ever listen to it again.  I worked in a CD store when it first came out, and because it would seriously sell a few copies whenever we played it the boss had me play it ALL THE DAMN DAY for like, two months straight. 

I cannot listen to the music of 1994-1995 at all really.  Please, no more Oasis, Toadies, Deep Blue Something, Silverchair, Hootie, Alanis, Biggie, or Dave Matthews "Under the Table and Dreaming", thank you.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fear of Music
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2006, 09:26:32 pm »

I've never been fond of Hootie and the Blowgiraffe, but that reminds me of something.  I dated a girl once and she was obsessed with them, and the Counting Crows.  And not only was she obsessed with them, her family was.  When I told her that I couldn't stand either band, she told me it would be a problem.  She broke up with me a week later.

Anyway, I recently purchased Saint Etienne's Tiger Bay.  It's gorgeous.  I have most of the tracks from the album on a compilation, but the tracks I didn't have are a wonderful addition to my library.  Also, Like a Motorway, one of the finest songs ever recorded, on this disc has an additional verse and is at least a minute longer than the one I have.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up