Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats  (Read 3600 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« on: June 29, 2005, 08:07:39 am »

Well, now, the last panel is animated. I'm sure this strip will appear far more raunchy and delightful when read in the printed form.

It is nice, however, to finally see Roast Beef confronting Ray about his excessive purchases.
Logged

toddster

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 08:32:04 am »

It's funny because Mother's Day is in May.

I also love the construction of "Yeah but I mean you I mean look you didn't even remember".

...did Beef get a ticket at some point in the recent past or did I dream that? Looking back, I guess that was just your regular old Achewood one-shot, but it seemed to have that whiff of promised continuity about it. Ah well. Maybe the latest in the line of "Ray's wacky cars" will prove more fruitful.
Logged

JeremyW

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cringecomics.com
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 11:35:42 am »

I thought the next time we saw Beef would be at the court house.  I guese that isn't being followed up on.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:45:38 am »

I bet this is just a convoluted way for Ray to give Beef money, a kind of fake job to help Beef out with his parking tickets.
And also 'cause Beef enjoys maths and figuring things out.
Lovin' Beef's turn of phrase, so much so that a Beef phrasebook seems like a passable way to spend my free time.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 12:53:16 pm »

I demand that Ray hire William Daniels for this project. He can aford it. Is it sad that I'm already on the ThinkGeek e-mail list and saw that phone a couple days ago?
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 01:12:56 pm »

If you're going to go retro phone, why not go all the way?
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 01:30:33 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
If you're going to go retro phone, why not go all the way?


It... it's beautiful.
Logged

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 02:13:45 pm »

They aren't the first.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 03:29:47 pm »

Maybe the raunchiness and delight will become clear in later days. Maybe.

Anyway, this is kind of funny but is sort of old hat at this point -- "ha ha, Ray's so carefree and heedless to his possessions," etc., etc. I guess it's funny enough, but it doesn't make me grin in the way that (to take a recent example) "RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!" does.

Full points for the gratuitous animation in the last panel, though. It adds that level of "if it was a good idea in Diesel Sweeties, it'll be a good idea here" style to the proceedings.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 03:37:03 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Full points for the gratuitous animation in the last panel, though. It adds that level of "if it was a good idea in Diesel Sweeties, it'll be a good idea here" style to the proceedings.

It's even an old Mac, like grandpa.

Oh wells.

Yeah, exactly. I fully expect that, were Onstad still a part of the Dumbrella, it would be revealed that the Mac in the pseudo-KITT was a relative of Uncle Grandpa's, sold into indentured servitude, and Clango would have to go on a rescue mission, and he'd meet Ray and it is not entirely improbable that Ray and Maura would hook up and wow, I think I would like that stupid-ass crossover arc more than I like this strip.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 04:18:45 pm »

I did laugh when Ray realised that the Trans Am that he forgot he had - oh yeah, that's my Trans Am.

Otherwise, I believe I voted in the correct #2 slot in yesterday's poll.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 04:19:34 pm »

i liked this strip a lot.

i thought it was funny.

i like believing that a cat would try and get a Mac512K to run as KITT.

Sure, it's prolly a Classic and not a 512K, but i like _believing_.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 04:22:07 pm »

Man, if they made an iDEN version of this I would carry it around with me everywhere.

http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=321790&cat=1&itemid=416&

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 04:32:20 pm »

Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
They aren't the first.

A couple years ago Motorola was selling "brick" cell phones with modern bits iinside. This was right around the time that 70's retro sneakers were all over the damn Foot Locker.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 05:47:28 pm »

What's that thing behind Ray in panels 5 and 7? Did the horizon line grow a nipple?
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up