Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Poll

Does his webiste suck? (See following)

Yes, truly it does.
- 10 (52.6%)
No, it does not.
- 4 (21.1%)
I am blind.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 29, 2005, 02:55:07 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Explosive Trees & Websites  (Read 12927 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:55:07 pm »

I am looking for some creative professionals & lay people to give an honest critique of my website. A compliment of my site yesterday shot my page views through the roof* and I would like to know some people's opinions. I recommend that you do not use Internet Explorer and I suggest that your screen resolution be greater than 800x600 if you would like to participate. Thanks and happy critiquing.

*page views 6/27: 0; page views 6/28: 114

Edited to add url to poll.

Edited to remove unlinkable url from poll.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 03:30:19 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Yeah, Anadalucias comment spurred me ('mongst others apparently) to check it out. Content light but A-OK.


Ditto.

Very pretty sight, but not a lot there.  I viewed in IE at work and it looked fine.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 03:39:45 pm »

It seems all right from here. I found the nag on the splash page about IE a bit irritating (I have Firefox on my home box, but I'm checking the board from work, so bear with me; also, I suspect any IE user who would click on your link has already been lectured about Firefox about a billion times). Will check again once I get home; withholding vote for now.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 03:44:39 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
also, I suspect any IE user who would click on your link has already been lectured about Firefox about a billion times


Yes. Jesus Christ, yes. I have my own reasons for using IE, and nothing annoys me more than when a site nags me about getting the superior browser. Even worse is when the site is completely incompatible with IE.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 03:53:09 pm »

Any web site that has a content-free intro page that requires me to click something to get into the site pisses me off.
Logged

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56:27 pm »

True, I should have noted that the content leaves something to be desired and that it is still under construction. I really just wanted feedback on the design/aesthetics of the site and the user friendliness. I cannot however, retract my statement about IE and I have my own reasons. I know for certain that many important parts of the site simply do not show when using IE on a Mac and for those on a PC, I want to help people branch out.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:14:11 pm »

Yeah, splash screens are so 1996.

Also, I'm not going to change my display resolution or browser size to view your site.  And if I want to view it on my PDA I guess I'm screwed, huh?

But it's neat looking.

Also, when I click on the ceiling fan, nothing happens.

NOTHING.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:25:29 pm »

I'm getting a vibe. Does anyone use a Mac?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:25:35 pm »

I also went straight for the ceiling fan. The design made me feel like I'd woken up in a room with no memory of how I got there and a locked door. I wanted to start looking in garbage cans for screwdrivers &c. But maybe that's because I've been playing too many Crimson Room knock-offs lately.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:24 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
It seems all right from here. I found the nag on the splash page about IE a bit irritating (I have Firefox on my home box, but I'm checking the board from work, so bear with me; also, I suspect any IE user who would click on your link has already been lectured about Firefox about a billion times). Will check again once I get home; withholding vote for now.


V, it's worse than that, since I got the nag even though I am viewing the site in Firefox.

And why promote Mozilla, which has ceased production?  Firefox is where it's at.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 04:31:08 pm »

Also, making the browser wider than 800px makes no difference.  You're not missing anything.

So why the message?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 04:31:57 pm »

I should also note that I went from finding this site "kinda interesting looking but nothing to do or read there" to "really irritating" in the space of this thread.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 04:49:10 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
also, I suspect any IE user who would click on your link has already been lectured about Firefox about a billion times


Yes. Jesus Christ, yes. I have my own reasons for using IE, and nothing annoys me more than when a site nags me about getting the superior browser. Even worse is when the site is completely incompatible with IE.

I didn't take it personally.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 04:50:47 pm »

Come to think of it, what is the purpose of your site other than to nag people to switch their browser and screen resolution?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 04:53:36 pm »

Important note about screen size: If your browser's viewable area is equal to or less than 760x420px you will not be able to see the navigation bar without scrolling. Not because of the width of your browser window but because of the height. It is a safe assumption that if your screen resolution is 800x600 or less, your browser's viewable area will not be much greater than 760x420. So open that window up real big. Also, I'm still a novice web designer and wasn't sure how to program my site to detect your browser before displaying the message.


Important note about the link to Mozilla: It takes you straight to Firefox.

Edited for spelling
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up