Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Poll

Does his webiste suck? (See following)

Yes, truly it does.
- 10 (52.6%)
No, it does not.
- 4 (21.1%)
I am blind.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 29, 2005, 02:55:07 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Explosive Trees & Websites  (Read 12892 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 04:55:20 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Come to think of it, what is the purpose of your site other than to nag people to switch their browser and screen resolution?

That is the purpose. Plus to direct potential clients who want to hire me to design artwork.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 05:00:40 pm »

Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Come to think of it, what is the purpose of your site other than to nag people to switch their browser and screen resolution?

That is the purpose. Plus to direct potential clients who want to hire me to design artwork.

I want to change my vote.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 05:23:46 pm »

Well, if we're going to critique websites, I designed a website for the the place I play Bridge.  Does anybody know any good web calendar software?  I think that's the next thing I need to do before this goes live.
Logged

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 06:29:35 pm »

Content +
Design _eh_
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 07:06:34 pm »

Your website wants me to switch away from IE as well, which is pretty perplexing since I am on a Macintosh using Camino and do not have IE anywhere on my computer. I think I am about as switched-away from IE as it is possible to get. Also it wants me to reset my browser resolution, or maybe it does not. I do not know what my browser resolution is except that "the window is a little wider than absolutely necessary for most of the web sites I go to but not so wide that I can't keep an eye on other windows as needed". It is wide enough to read Achewood and Overcompensating but not always wide enough to read Wigu. Then again for all I know you just put up a front page that never changes and just sort of assumes the person needs to be lectured at to switch away from IE and expand his browser.

I did not expand my browser because I figured it was wide enough (nothing appeared to be cut off from the white expanse with which I was presented on the first page) so I got into your website, which would be pretty nice as the backdrop for a comic but is also a totally opaque design. I do not know what clicking on anything will do. The ceiling fan does not do anything; will it eventually do something? What will it do that will make me think "I should click on a ceiling fan to see this thing that I want to see"? On the plus side it does convey a very nice sense of desolation except when the picture in the frame winks at me.

I clicked on your box and apparently your desk is inside. Your desk is covered in some kind of white crap, which would not instill confidence in me as a hypothetical customer of your graphic-design thing, assuming that a graphic-design thing is the kind of thing being promoted. I went back and clicked on your winking picture and I was led back into the same room except the picture had a permanent wink now. This led to the kind of feeling Cort described where I felt like I needed to go back in the box and find a yellow key-card before the picture would let me through into a different room.

I do not like your web site very much. I have a feeling that people who want to spend money to have someone design a nice-looking thing for them also will not like this web site very much.
Logged

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 07:29:30 pm »

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Ben. The white crap is the matte applied to a GIF file when made transparent on the web. It was between white or black, and since most of the image is against a white background most of the time, white was the obvious choice. To answer your other questions, read back a couple of posts.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 08:52:08 pm »

Okay, at home now... and yes, it is still nagging me about IE, despite the fact that I'm checking the page in Firefox. If you have to have a nag, could you at least make it check the browser first? Nags overall are irritating, but nags when you're using the "correct" browser already are just inexplicable.

Ignoring content for now, since there's not much of it. The style is... slightly bizarre. Is the choice to leave just a giant amount of white space a deliberate artistic decision? (It especially weirds me out on the "show my stuff" page, since we have this tiny computer screen showing the image and GIANT GAPING WHITE SPACE on the right side of the screen.) Highlighting the "About Me"/"Contact Me"/"Show My Stuff" options in grey when you penis over the appropriate links is good, but they're remote enough that it isn't particularly convenient. I feel like you're asking a lot of us in screen resolution and then just not using the space well, which is troublesome.

Overall, it could use some cleaning up and reorganization. It's a good start, but it needs work.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 08:55:03 pm »

Since you're not making your site work well with IE anyway, why not use an alpha-channel transparent PNG so that you don't have to worry about aliasing?

And if you don't know how to do that, get the fuck out of Malibu, Lebowski.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 08:55:51 pm »

Also, Comcast can suck my fuck*ng balls.  Down for three freaking hours today... so far.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 10:59:41 pm »

the index page is entitled:
"Welcome/Get Out".

i like that.

it's pretty easy, either the viewer is WELCOME or they can GET OUT.

that's a pretty easy concept.

i like how you say that a specific viewing software is NOT RECOMMENDED and then SUGGEST an alternative.

i hate AUTOMATED BULLSHIT CRAP for stuff where the ABILITY TO READ would be sufficient.  your index page seems to take for granted the ABILITY TO READ, and i have to say i support that.

i could give a fuck what you think my resolution should be, but i APPRECIATE that you WARN ME that my resolution might be WRONG for viewing YOUR site, such that if it IS WRONG, and i enter, then it's ON ME for it not viewing right due to RESOLUTION ISSUES.  nothing pisses me of QUITE LIKE some dipshit trying to AUTOMAGICALLY resize my browser.

i don't like that only the white "bdeth.com" of the black stripe at the top is a link.  i hate wondering if something is or is not a link, and having to frantically move the cursor about, to and fro, desperately wondering if i'll find what to click or if i will fail.  i don't need that stress, i have enough stress, i can not remember how much coffee i've already had today and i don't need to frantically try to find a link.

i like that you normally linked, underlined, "come on in" since that is how i've learned to recognize a link since 1994.

index2 is pretty.  i like B&W stuff.  it's simple, it makes me happy.  i suck absolutely at making things look pretty.  i can not draw a straight line with a ruler.  index2 is pretty.

remeber what i wrote up there about not needing the stress?  about the stree with having to hunt for a link?  ok, yes, i DID MEAN IT.

generally, when i'm somewhere in a site, and i see the site's logo, that logo is usually a link back to that site.  EVEN ON THE MAIN PAGE.

the picture winking is neat.  if i could do stuff like that then TOOFY THE TOOTH would be a winking sunnavabitch.  i am envious of your wink making.

i hate the hunting for/finding links, but i appreciate that you put, on the navigation bar at the bottom, the contact, learn about me, and see my stuff links.  i assumed they were links, and i was right.  

i like that if i feel like stressing out and trying to FIND a link from the pictures of shit, that if i put my cursor over the item, it changes the state of the corresponding entry in the nav menu.  that is a nice touch.

to repeat: THAT IS A NICE TOUCH.

the desktop wallpaper thingee does not follow that.  that is sad.  perhaps it's not a consistent site design thing, and it's just a short term added item?  i do not know.

i hate to agree with these other people because i am hot and very irritable (and stressed out now) but WHY WON'T THE CEILING FAN WORK?

or the couch?

it's very "pretty" though, and i bet someone will pay you way too much money to make something pretty in the future.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 01:13:23 pm »

It's nice to see someone appreciating and understanding my work.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 01:18:33 pm »

DAMMIT ARKABEE you ruined what I was going to say.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 01:23:56 pm »

Now, I may have been under the wrong impression here, but I thought this place was about _education_.
Logged

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »

To what do you all think that the ceiling fan and couch should link? I had no intentions.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 06:03:58 pm »

Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
To what do you all think that the ceiling fan and couch should link? I had no intentions.

I can't think of anything in particular, but this points out that you might want to more clearly differentiate what furniture bits are links and which are just decorative. The relative sparseness makes us assume (well, it makes me assume, anyway) that everything is relevant; this may be problematic. The people who mentioned the "click on random things" style of Flash puzzle have a certain point.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up