Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Poll

Does his webiste suck? (See following)

Yes, truly it does.
- 10 (52.6%)
No, it does not.
- 4 (21.1%)
I am blind.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 29, 2005, 02:55:07 pm


Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Explosive Trees & Websites  (Read 12919 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2005, 09:07:25 pm »

Also, there is nothing about you on the "Learn About Me" page.  Are we supposed to learn that you are vacuous?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2005, 03:25:17 am »

Quote from: "Ben-San"

Also, it is probably related but I have no damn idea what number 6 there is even supposed to mean.


"what i'm trying to say is that you wrote down instructions for something "easy", and the instruction amount to telling them that they are stupid for needing the instructions, because if they knew how to download the picture they wouldn't click instructions. "

for a long period of time, people have had various levels of expectations towards my capacity to explain to them how to do things that they do not know how to do but that i do.  most of these things, certainly the things that stand out in my memory, seem to be trivial to me and quite simple.

obviously, however, they are not trivial NOR simple to them, else they would not ask me (or they are complete assholes who refuse to think for themselves.  but to assume them all complete assholes fails my "would my mother be able to do it?" test, thus making ME the asshole, because my mother certainly is not an asshole, and the technician who instructs as though she were receives, as a mere appetizer to a 7 course meal of my wrath, a complimentary circumcision (male, female, and/or additional) with the a.t-s.r cat 5 crimpers).

i have tendency to be overly verbose in such a way as to actively suck away any possible communication.

thus, to shorten:

if you choose to write instructions for something "trivial", do so robustly since it is counter productive to have instructions for a "trivial" action wherein other "trivial" actions are required.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2005, 03:48:06 am »

This is a good point, ark. I also sort of wish the page didn't take such a weirdly patronizing, scolding tone at points. I don't want to be told to "open that window up real big" or be scolded against setting my desktop wallpaper on Stretch. When you feel there need to be instructions, make them simple, thorough, and factual; don't treat your viewer like s/he needs to be hand-held through viewing your page and s/he doesn't have the taste to properly use your offerings. Please, for the love of God, assume we are adults.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 04:33:57 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i have tendency to be overly verbose in such a way as to actively suck away any possible communication.


May I have your permission to use this as a sig?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2005, 01:08:55 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Please, for the love of God, assume we are adults.


this is sort of the opposite of what i'm getting on about.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2005, 02:27:53 pm »

I love the comradery. No, really.

The comment about IE is for Mac users who ARE USING IE. And the comment will probably be removed by popular demand. Maybe a good replacement would be a link on the main page to a troubleshooting menu. Although I think I may be giving the idiot Mac user who is on IE too much of my time.

I think I've spent more time on here discussing my site than I have actually working on my site. But nonetheless what I love about the site is: that when the window is resized, the navbar and some other items dynamically move with the window. To the best of my experience this isn't an extremely common practice and it's a small joy to me. Also, I am just passionate about the open desolation. The internet these days is just too much filled with pages reeking of background images and text that flows across the entire window leaving the viewer with an overwhelmed sensation. I wanted to make something that gave the viewer (namely me) a place to rest their eyes.

Ok, I'm done. (Until my next bout of construction.) Done.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005, 02:53:15 pm »

The internet needs blank pages?  When I want to rest my eyes I generally look away from the computer.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005, 03:01:25 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arkabee"
i have tendency to be overly verbose in such a way as to actively suck away any possible communication.


May I have your permission to use this as a sig?


ok.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 03:29:55 pm »

For a place that is intended for joy, I sense a lot of pent up hostility. Please don't be jealous, now. After all:

Quote from: "Philippe"
A computer should be a fun place to be!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005, 04:31:31 pm »

Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
For a place that is intended for joy, I sense a lot of pent up hostility.


You were shaping up to be a pretty interesting dude until you got the brain parasites that made a picnic lunch of your Broca's Area and left you capable of only (a) making one- or two-word posts (b) talking about your fuck*ng website.

So that's disappointing.
Logged

bdeth dot com

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bdeth.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 04:42:43 pm »

I am in Love with you, St_Zartan. IN LOVE.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2005, 04:50:04 pm »

Mmmmm, Broca's Area....
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005, 04:57:56 pm »

Andalucia said he has a "pretty website" and he became emboldened.  It's totally understandable.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2005, 08:12:19 pm »

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to!
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2005, 09:25:47 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Please, for the love of God, assume we are adults.


this is sort of the opposite of what i'm getting on about.

I don't actually think we're working at cross purposes here; at least, I agree with you. To get long-winded about it:

You and I were talking about totally different phenomena. You were making reference to written instructions and how they should be explicit at all points, which I agree with; if you're going to write instructions, make them thorough, especially if they're instructions about "easy" things (like viewing and downloading a desktop, for example). What I was talking about was the tendency of the page to seem very patronizing ("open that window up real big"), which shows disrespect for your audience, IMHO. Being informed about how to do something, even something drop-dead easy, is different from being assumed to be clueless and treated like it.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up