Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Poll

Does his webiste suck? (See following)

Yes, truly it does.
- 10 (52.6%)
No, it does not.
- 4 (21.1%)
I am blind.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 29, 2005, 02:55:07 pm


Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Explosive Trees & Websites  (Read 12877 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2005, 01:34:30 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I don't actually think we're working at cross purposes here; at least, I agree with you. To get long-winded about it:

You and I were talking about totally different phenomena. You were making reference to written instructions and how they should be explicit at all points, which I agree with; if you're going to write instructions, make them thorough, especially if they're instructions about "easy" things (like viewing and downloading a desktop, for example). What I was talking about was the tendency of the page to seem very patronizing ("open that window up real big"), which shows disrespect for your audience, IMHO. Being informed about how to do something, even something drop-dead easy, is different from being assumed to be clueless and treated like it.


ok, that makes total sense.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2005, 01:47:10 am »

God, I have never wanted to start a joint company less in my life!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2005, 03:43:19 am »

Arkabee, now that you have explained what the context of "Right-click the desktop once the image has loaded. (I thought that was a given in 2005)" means I understand it perfectly and completely agree. I thought this was some arcane and bizarre thing involving the viewer's computer's desktop that had to be done on Windows machines lest the Internet tear their faces off or something. I have not used Windows computers in a long time so I do not know what behavior is taken for granted in 2005. You could probably convince me that every half-hour you have to load bacon into the 502 bacon port or it suddenly slows to a crawl. "I thought everyone knew to load bacon into their computer! No wonder you're performing poorly!"

Are there Mac users who use IE? I am pretty sure that is a small group to need warning. Macs do not ship with IE as their default browser and IE for Mac is pretty crappy. It feels like someone is Windows-ing on your Macintosh screen and the aesthetic effect is much like if a large section of the center of a mosh pit began to suddenly square dance and shout archaic cusswords at anyone who was not also square-dancing.

This was a pretty rambly post.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Explosive Trees & Websites
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2005, 01:46:28 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"

Are there Mac users who use IE? I am pretty sure that is a small group to need warning. Macs do not ship with IE as their default browser and IE for Mac is pretty crappy. It feels like someone is Windows-ing on your Macintosh screen and the aesthetic effect is much like if a large section of the center of a mosh pit began to suddenly square dance and shout archaic cusswords at anyone who was not also square-dancing.


my parents use it, sometimes, as well as an old netscape and opera, because they have my old PowerComputing 120 running 7.6.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up