I walked into a game store and was instantly the subject of Geek Arousal. This isn't a videogame store, mind you. It was a board game store. Games ranging from whatever crapopoly you fancy to the most obscure garage cardboard. (Bohnanza, Carcassonne, and Bang are some personal favorites.) There were teenagers and pre-teens in the back playing out dice based battles between painted miniatures. (I'm sure many of us are familiar with Warhammer.) The pheremone level in the place was palpable.
I don't know why I'm so attracted to these hobbies. I recently find myself compelled to purchase little platic cards which punch out pieces of tiny model ships that you can assemble and play in some sort of buckaneering game. I've heard this game isn't even fun, yet I want it.
These things are electrifying. I recently came across a Lego solar panel. They say it lacks the voltage to run the standard Lego motor, but if you really want to you can couple it with a honest-to-the-day-I-was-born Lego fuck*ng capacitor!. Why do I want to build toys and *****s with small assembly bits? I don't know, but I absolutely want to.
My need to program useless bits of fluff has dissipated now that it is my occupation to do so, but if my employer required that I tell stories whose outcomes were determined by twenty-sided bits of plastic, I'm sure my enthusiasm for doing so would wane and I would find myself wanting to create a screensaver which simultaneously emulated rain and props from the Matrix. I almost found myself thinking up games I could program using Google Maps yesterday.
Anyway, the point is that there is some draw to do these thing that can be equated to sexual desire or hunger or the need to pop backing bubbles when you see them. I've been experiencing this a lot recently, and the only thing stopping me from submerging myself bodily in obscure hobbies is a lack of time and money. I'm sure many of you can relate.
_______________
Fervent.