Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: War of the Worlds  (Read 14091 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
War of the Worlds
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2005, 07:33:50 pm »

ugh.  i enjoyed Die Hard, a lot.  i also enjoyed Farewell My Concubine.

I think they need to make a movie that is a sequel to BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

even a Dolph Lundgren vehicle has a good purpose, which is to allow nice UPN affiliates not to have to run Doggstown anytime they want to show a "movie".  (i had never heard of Doggstown until i only had ABC and UPN on antenna.  I have seen it 5 times now.)

Sometimes when i hear that "They"/"Hollywood" are remaking a movie that they have already made, i think "dear goodness, they are going to ruin it in remaking it!" and then sometimes i think "good! that means they won't make any new crap!" and _sometimes_ i think both at the very same time!
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
War of the Worlds
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2005, 07:41:04 pm »

I loved Charolettes Web, but those Stewart Little movies were only mildly amusing.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
War of the Worlds
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2005, 07:55:55 pm »

If we've moved on to random movies, I would just like to point out that I got offered a free pass to an advanced screening of The Brothers Grimm yesterday, but it was at 4:00 downtown and I couldn't get out of work.  If I had even had one day's notice I would have made sure I could go.  

Still, we're getting not just one, but two new Terry Gilliam movies this year.  That alone makes this a good year for movies.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
War of the Worlds
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2005, 12:45:24 am »

Stuart Little played very well in the target demographic. Which is really what counts, you know? I mean, Sharkboy and LavaGirl defied all attempts to describe magnitude of Sucking but the kids liked it.

It's the same thing with candy. I would not have imagined that there would ever be a candy nose with gummy snot in it. Or that kids would eat it. Yet they dig their little fingers in and dig 'em out and eat them. I wouldn't. I couldn't.

I can no longer eat spaghettios. Too much sugar in them - so sweet - yuck.

All this stuff sells where it is intended to and I guess that's more-or-less what Hollywood is up to most of the time.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
War of the Worlds
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2005, 12:47:38 am »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
If we've moved on to random movies, I would just like to point out that I got offered a free pass to an advanced screening of The Brothers Grimm yesterday, but it was at 4:00 downtown and I couldn't get out of work.  If I had even had one day's notice I would have made sure I could go.  

Still, we're getting not just one, but two new Terry Gilliam movies this year.  That alone makes this a good year for movies.


Did you see the documentary about Gilliam's failed attempt to film "Don Quixote" called "Lost in La Mancha"?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
War of the Worlds
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2005, 02:02:15 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Stuart Little played very well in the target demographic. Which is really what counts, you know? I mean, Sharkboy and LavaGirl defied all attempts to describe magnitude of Sucking but the kids liked it.

I wonder if Shark Boy's lawsuit against that movie will pan out.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
War of the Worlds
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2005, 03:42:37 am »

Lost in La Mancha was better than any Quixote movie could ever be.

And Gilliam's made some clunkers - The Brothers Grimm looks good, but the other one... I don't know.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
War of the Worlds
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2005, 05:19:27 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
he couldn't take the time to explain to his friend WHY he was stealing his car, but instead had 30 seconds to aimlessly argue with him over it?

Yes, that's exactly right.  Thank you Teodor for backing me up on this.  If Tom Cruise's mechanic friend had been more like Beef he might have survived the alien attack.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up