Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  (Read 3945 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« on: July 05, 2005, 06:00:51 am »

....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I like saying Phillipesploitation and won't stop until it gains widespread use.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 06:06:18 am »

I know you were eager to get "first post" - but fuck, man, that ain't no kind of thoughts about the new strip.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:10:28 am »

Sorry, geez. Truth is I didn't have a whole lot of thoughts about this one, it really wasn't too thought-provoking from my point of view. The thoughts that I had were not too great of thoughts.

Yeah, I can try to imagine it as a scene playing out, and the look of terror on Philippe's face growing larger and more ghastly is nice, but it was just a whole lot of space used on a really really simple joke. Or was that the point?

I rescind my "first post" awards.

EDIT: I came up with a thought or two. I should do that more often, it was easier than I thought it would be.

"Extra stuff" is a great response to the question "guess what is in (storage space)?" much like someone asking you "what's up" results in a quickdraw "the sky".

Is Lie-Bot perpetually holding his midsection for any particular reason besides he's just drawn that way, or is he forever chuckling to himself or something similar?
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:27:05 am »

I really love Phillippe dropping to his knees. Excellent.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:43:18 am »

Shades of this comic. Both of them excellent.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 08:02:45 am »

Man, Liebot, it's a been a while.
Perhaps he's holding his stumach to ensure the flux capacitor doesn't fall into Biff Tannens hands (?).
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 12:54:08 pm »

I debating if this actually going on for 7 more panels would just be obnoxious or if it would cross over into funny again. It's the David Letterman school of comedy.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 01:02:01 pm »

Something was bugging me about Phillipe in the first couple of panels, I think its that he doesn't have any eyebrows. It makes his forhead seem kind of huge, and rounder, and given the recent circus c*ck storylines it makes my thoughts go to bad places.

For my money the whole screaming sequence of expressions is good but my favourite is the indrawn breath with his mouth oddly shaped and his eyes still large.

And Liebot just sits there and basks in the horror he has wrought.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 01:56:29 pm »

This strip also reminded me of the Mickey penis Pancake Horror. I like the Philippe strips like this because Chris gets the characterization right : there is a time in a kid's life in which a skeleton - the idea of a skeleton, pretty much regardless of context - is scary, end of discussion. I don't think it really would have worked with anything else - anything that comes to mind, anyway, like "a snake!" or "a ghost!" Can't really articulate why.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I debating if this actually going on for 7 more panels would just be obnoxious or if it would cross over into funny again. It's the David Letterman school of comedy.


Family Guy has, lately, pretty much beaten this one into the ground - it's pretty much reached the point where, in contemporary comedy, you can sense almost immediately when they're going for that funny ... obnoxious ... aaaaaaaand back to funny gimmick.

I liked Letterman's take on it, back in the day, because his facial expression and inflection goes from I cannot believe people are laughing at this to that the people are laughing is the joke and the punchline, then he gets the giggles, and it's pretty much a feedback loop from there. Is he still doing Supermarket Finds?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 02:06:18 pm »

Filler. Next.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 03:03:03 pm »

Man, *****s get the best jobs: lying, telling jokes, eating cookies...

Nice to see lie-bot back, but something about the scale of this one felt off to me.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 03:15:03 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"
Something was bugging me about Phillipe in the first couple of panels, I think its that he doesn't have any eyebrows. It makes his forhead seem kind of huge, and rounder, and given the recent circus c*ck storylines it makes my thoughts go to bad places.


Has nobody else worn his or her Special Boy shirt and had Phillippe mistaken for a cheerful, bipedal c*ck?  

It is a problem.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 03:17:51 pm »

I assumed that the hands-on-stomach pose was Lie Bot laughing to himself about his exploits, especially of the Philippesploitation persuasion. It also seems like the least awkward place to put his hand, in terms of his extensively odd body shape.

Anyway, this is a pleasantly old-school strip, and it's fun to see Lie Bot back to his old tricks. The minimalism of this one really wins -- it's not a skeleton on a pony with the blinking tooth of Flava Flav, it's just a skeleton, and that's enough.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 03:49:47 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Has nobody else worn his or her Special Boy shirt and had Phillippe mistaken for a cheerful, bipedal c*ck?

Me, I have.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
July 5th, 2005: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Has nobody else worn his or her Special Boy shirt and had Phillippe mistaken for a cheerful, bipedal c*ck?   It is a problem.


This was the first thing my wife said when she saw the shirt.  At first I did not agree, but now I do agree that wearing the shirt is basically advertising that something about your c*ck is special.  So unfortunately I can't bring myself to wear the shirt out of the house.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up