Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stray cats everywhere!  (Read 6061 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 07:39:33 am »

Has to be said the reason I am so against strays, is that the farm cats around here have FIV, which killed both my last two cats, since moving here, and has stopped us having cats since.
The cats where I used to live that were a nuisance were at least owned by people.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 02:52:52 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I always went for the glass of water. Well, the water at least, to be thrown liberally over said annoying cats. Or running out hissing at them, though that is slightly harder to pull off with dignity if you have neighbours (well, OK, the dignity thing just isn't an issue when in the sticks).
Both however mean witnessing the little fuckers (I love cats, I'm more a cat person than a dog person, but like people, cats I don't want around I hate, and will throw water at).


Ha!

The funny thing about all these posts is that as I'm reading them I'm glancing out my office window, (both yesterday and today) and there's always at least one cat back there who makes eye contact with me whenever my head pops up in the window.

Now both the SO and I have tried the running-at-the-cat-while-hissing/yelling/kicking up dust thing - mostly on the one omni-present tabby cat, who we've nick-named "the Fucker" ("The Fucker is on your car again."  "Look out when you put that recycling out, the Fucker is on the deck." etc).  But the Fucker is a defiant bastard.  Though he's show a total aversion to my original friendly method of calling him over and offering rubs, when it comes to the running at him method he just casually saunters off a few feet, and makes a u-turn back to his original spot if you keep making chase.  So basically our dignity gets bruised and we get to have a cat look gaze at us sarcastically.  Cats are gazing at me sarcastically!  Sarcastically!

We just bought a hose, but have yet to set it up as the unlandscaped yard means a trudge through mucky clay to get to the water service hook-up.   Having had two neighbour cats at our old place who liked to poop in my garden, I know this doesn't work all that well, but it is sort of fun...

I've contacted the Humane Society and apparently on top of the fact that I would have to deal with trapping and delivering the cats to them there is also a "surrendering fee" of $50 plus tax to cover either fixing the animal if it's adopted or to cover euthanizing it if it's not. Of course I'm fully aware that a cardboard box at their backdoor would totally avoid any fees... Their basic response seems to be that they are totally overwhelmed by strays, and the woman on the phone sounded totally flustered and sad about having to say this. It's been in the news pretty much constantly since Spring, and now it's totally my problem.  The City and the Humane Society are both throwing up their hands.

I have to agree with most of you that it isn't cruel to cull the population of strays.  I can't stand the idea of hurting little furry things, but I have to remember that they're already being hurt on a regular basis by living the life they live.  Since clearly I can't afford the costs involved in addressing the situation myself (or sheer number of animals), and that me working alone is like using a paper cup to drain the ocean, I will join the Neigbourhood Watch for our area, and if one doesn't exist, I'll start one up.  It's one thing when I'm a single homeowner doing what I can to fix this and another when several members of the neighbourhood are working towards positive action.  A full out campaine to promote responsible pet ownership paired with regular enforcement of city by-laws seems like the most appropriate route of action.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 05:52:15 pm »

Maybe you could use this? It scares cats away by firing deer and water at them.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 05:54:03 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Maybe you could use this? It scares cats away by firing deer and water at them.

I am not sure that these are the sorts of cats that would be scared away by firing deer at them, but otherwise this seems like an excellent plan.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 05:56:55 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Maybe you could use this? It scares cats away by firing deer and water at them.


Wow.  Aren't you going to get we when you go to turn that thing off?  Because you'd have to move to get to it, see, and then it would...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 07:02:15 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Maybe you could use this? It scares cats away by firing deer and water at them.

I saw that in OhGizmo yesterday and immediately decreed it to be awesome. I need one of these and some kind of red dye by Halloween.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 07:14:33 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "mudokon"
Maybe you could use this? It scares cats away by firing deer and water at them.

I saw that in OhGizmo yesterday and immediately decreed it to be awesome. I need one of these and some kind of red dye by Halloween.


I don't know what OhGizmo is, but for now I'm going to assume it only features gizmos that are of an ejaculatory nature.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 07:48:44 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I don't know what OhGizmo is, but for now I'm going to assume it only features gizmos that are of an ejaculatory nature.

Close. It's a blog of weird gadgets (some for sale, some not) such as the electronic water scarecrow.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 08:14:35 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Maybe you could use this? It scares cats away by firing deer and water at them.


Thank you - I am now laughing, which was much needed.

outdoor cat check:  It is very hot and sunny right now.  Neighbourhood strays agree that my deck provides an excellent source of shade.

indoor cat check:  The combination of the duct cleaners and the alarm company installation has lead to Zha-zha shitting on my brand new beige carpeting right here in the office.  I was at first disgusted, then (upon cleaning) sort pleased to find confirmation that the carpet is indeed stain proof.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Stray cats everywhere!
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 11:48:39 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Since clearly I can't afford the costs involved in addressing the situation myself (or sheer number of animals), and that me working alone is like using a paper cup to drain the ocean, I will join the Neigbourhood Watch for our area, and if one doesn't exist, I'll start one up.  It's one thing when I'm a single homeowner doing what I can to fix this and another when several members of the neighbourhood are working towards positive action.  A full out campaine to promote responsible pet ownership paired with regular enforcement of city by-laws seems like the most appropriate route of action.


Good for you!  I wanted so much to say, go start an organization to kick out the people who run the humane society, and then maybe a whole revolt against the government, and then your own campaign to spay and release the cats....  I am so outraged at the non-responses you've gotten from the people in charge.  But I know that I am way too old and tired to take that kind of action myself, so who am I to tell anyone else to.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up