Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005  (Read 5727 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 02:02:47 pm »

I must respectfully disagree with those in the "this strip is not funny" camp.  It is funny.  For example:

-- the further demonstration of Pat/Nice Pete's bizarre relationship.  Scary, but funny.
-- Nice Pete's reactions in panels 9-10.  First shock, then just consternation.  "Damn, guess here's another group who know I'm crazy."  Images + ideas = funny.
-- Capitalization of Accept.  Excellent.

I hope now you can enjoy this on as many levels as I do.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 02:46:13 pm »

I'm just having trouble picturing Pat crying he just seems like someone way too angry to cry. Or feel any other emotion for that matter, besides self righteous anger.

And Nice Pete really is a much more decent human being than Pat, probably in a much better place mentally.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 03:04:14 pm »

The Nice Pete expressions make it, I think, plus the idea that Pat's Horrible Bad Thing was just not being able to deal with crying. I enjoy the fact that Nice Pete seems to be generally more stable and capable than Pat, just, you know, all about the murder act.

Arthur is fine in small doses. I laughed today, but if he showed back up tomorrow I wouldn't laugh.

Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 03:47:30 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?


We already have. Mr. Gary is Circ[size=0] [/size]us c*ck. I just know it.

THINK ABOUT IT

THINK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR HEART
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 03:49:08 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?


We already have. Mr. Gary is Circ[size=0] [/size]us c*ck. I just know it.

THINK ABOUT IT

THINK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR HEART

Terrifyingly enough, I think you may have a point. Well played, sir. Well played.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 04:05:42 pm »

I'd always thought that Mr. Gary lead their group but his conspicuous absence makes me wonder if he's more of a Brad Goodman-type who writes books and hosts seminars and whatnot.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 04:44:20 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
It's cool to see Jough again.
Er, I mean Pat, sorry, slip of the tongue.


Oh please.  Read the blog entries posted under "Onstad" and then read the ones posted under "Pat" and see if you can tell a difference, other than the "Onstad" guy seems to be more ashamed of himself and slightly more of an asshole than the "Pat" guy seems to be.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 05:17:27 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I hate anything involving Aaaaarthur.  He kills funny so fast.


What about staying off the beach!?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 05:28:57 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?


We already have. Mr. Gary is Circ[size=0] [/size]us c*ck. I just know it.

THINK ABOUT IT

THINK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR HEART

Terrifyingly enough, I think you may have a point. Well played, sir. Well played.


I don't think so.  C.ircus c*ck doesn't have time for therapy.  Circ.us c*ck just does, Circu.s c*ck just is.  He just keeps moving forward.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 06:15:16 pm »

Don't fight the filters.  They will find you out.

Swole up c*ck!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 07:55:39 pm »

Eventually, every word we type will be filtered and/or replaced so that this post, for example, would be totally meaningless (even moreso than it already is):

Restaurant, shoes **** us sing bird is ######## day/la grudge me hats mice oven, guy strong, destroyer is foamy international (scuba corn oily ex murder be).
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 08:56:01 pm »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Eventually, every word we type will be filtered and/or replaced so that this post, for example, would be totally meaningless (even moreso than it already is)

I don't know if you've heard of Worth1000 but their filters are insane. There's like 50 of them. My favorite by far is "first post"
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 10:00:58 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Worth1000 but their filters are insane. There's like 50 of them. My favorite by far is "first post"


That, Bush and Queer.
Could do with First Post filtered on slashdot for sure. At least one meaningless post per article made amusing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Doctor C

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 11:06:51 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'd always thought that Mr. Gary lead their group but his conspicuous absence makes me wonder if he's more of a Brad Goodman-type who writes books and hosts seminars and whatnot.

No, I think it's safe to say that Arthur and Mr. Gary know each other pretty well
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 12:13:51 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I hate anything involving Aaaaarthur.  He kills funny so fast.


That is exactly what bothered me about it, though I couldn't put my finger on it till now.  I mean, Pat and Nice Pete should make for a great strip, and panels 9 and 10 are perfect, but more often than not, Arthur is obnoxious, and not in a funny kind of way.

Also, the ending is a bit flat.  Ooooh, Pat slammed the door.  Big fuck*ng deal.

I too noticed the "DARE DARE DARE" and its similarity to "take take take."  But who would repeat "DARE" just for emphasis?  It just doesn't sound right.

But well worth it, if only for panels 9 and 10 and Pat's complete dickheadedness.  MAN he is such a dick.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up