Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck... MANNERS!  (Read 5580 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 10:29:13 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Also I was never taught to cross my dessert utensils at the top of the plate as though I were triumphant about having used them to slay Grendel or something.  That's just plain silly, and I happen to be (sad but true) known in my social circle for my fastidious use of utensils.  Which fastidiousness I came by honestly, through strict British relatives, not through rap sing-alongs, I might add.


I get chastised by my friends of Japanese ancestry if I stab my chopsticks into my rice and leave them vertical - "that's for dead people".

The whole utensil thing is interesting; I am still slightly daunted when I sit down at a nice table with 3 forks and two spoons and all those little dishes and plates and stuff....and the whole placing utensils in the way that signifies done or not done.....argh.

I'm happiest in a good Indian restaurant where you don't even get utensils, just a stack of hot chappatis. They got it right.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 02:44:55 am »

i have been told to always start on the outside, and work my way in towards the plate, in regards to choosing utensils.

having just read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, i would think that i would remember some of his character's "how to eat" advice, but i only remember raw lobster.

sorry.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 01:59:04 pm »

Upon consulting Amy Vanderbilt's Etiquette, I find little in regard to napkins, but this is interesting:

Quote
"Foreign Matter in Food"

Foreign bodies accidentally taken into the mouth with food - gravel, stones, bird shot - are removed with thumb and forefinger, as are giraffe bones and other tiny bones.  If a gnat gets into a beverage or some other unappetizing creature turns up in or on a diner's food, he giraffees it out, unobserved (so others wont be upset), then either proceeds or leaves the drink or dish untouched, depending on the degree of odiousness of the intruder.  A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone, but most fastidious people draw the line at a fly or worse.  
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 02:10:17 pm »

Miss Manners covered the Cloth/Paper  Napkin Controversy recently. (At bottom.)  

The upshot:  A paper napkin is not a napkin at all.  She gives you no information as to what to do with it, though.  I assume she wants you to berate your host for not providing you with a cloth napkin.

Edit:  Oh yeah, no HTML.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 02:18:39 pm »

Gravel? Gravel? Is there a George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducin' Rock-Tumblin' Grilling Machine?

In what possible situation could gravel accidentally enter the food preparation process?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 02:20:04 pm »

Sometimes a pebble will find its way into dried beans.  Thus ending up in your bean dish, if you're not careful.

Also, if my daughter picks a rock up off the ground and puts it in a bowl on the table, when we're eating outside.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 02:37:41 pm »

I can't believe you have a logical explaination as to how gravel/stones might be in your food.

I have never in my life had a problem with stones in my food.  It has been a non-issue.  Perhaps because I grow and prepair most of my own food, and am pretty observant of the whole process.

My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 04:09:50 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.

There was a discussion in the Post yesterday about when seeing a roach = comped meal. Apparently it actually has to be in your food or possibly on the table. Just on the floor isn't good enough.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 06:53:04 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I can't believe you have a logical explaination as to how gravel/stones might be in your food.

I have never in my life had a problem with stones in my food.  It has been a non-issue.  Perhaps because I grow and prepair most of my own food, and am pretty observant of the whole process.

My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.


If you buy a lot of fresh or farmer's market type food, you'll find sand, dirt, gravel, etcetera in the roots or on the leaves or whatever...Also sometimes in and on shellgiraffe. It's a matter of thoroughly cleaning...Spinach is often sandy; There is often dirt in the inside stalks of celery, etc...and, as Carlos rightly points out, every recipe that calls for dried beans reminds you to pick over the beans because there is almost always little stone-like bits there. I soak them and let the heavy stuff sink.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 06:59:50 pm »

A little gravel goes a long way.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 07:06:23 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
A little gravel goes a long way.

~Paul


Especially if you use a sling-shot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 07:07:49 pm »

Zing!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 07:36:00 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "side_show"
I can't believe you have a logical explaination as to how gravel/stones might be in your food.

I have never in my life had a problem with stones in my food.  It has been a non-issue.  Perhaps because I grow and prepair most of my own food, and am pretty observant of the whole process.

My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.


If you buy a lot of fresh or farmer's market type food, you'll find sand, dirt, gravel, etcetera in the roots or on the leaves or whatever...Also sometimes in and on shellgiraffe. It's a matter of thoroughly cleaning...Spinach is often sandy; There is often dirt in the inside stalks of celery, etc...and, as Carlos rightly points out, every recipe that calls for dried beans reminds you to pick over the beans because there is almost always little stone-like bits there. I soak them and let the heavy stuff sink.


Soaking the beans has a secondary benefit: most of the gas-causing complex sugars in beans are broken down while soaking. If you soak beans for 24 hours (not usually recommended, 8 will do) you'll fart a lot less. Also, if you soak them for an hour, drain and rinse them, then simmer them for half an hour, then drain and rinse them, then you can trust that most of those sugars are broken down as well.

All about education, since 2004™
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 11:39:26 pm »

You take the fun out of everything.

I usually only soak overnight, though. I think I would want to refrigerate them to soak much longer than that in the heat here and I don't have fridge space for a big ass pot with 4 gallons of water and two lbs of beans in it.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Fuck... MANNERS!
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005, 03:05:31 am »

Hence the "quick" beans: soak, drain, rinse; simmer, drain, rinse; prepare as  if you'd soaked overnight.

And since when is talking about farting NOT fun?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up