Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NHL: A new CBA?  (Read 3276 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:39:08 pm »

I have not cared about hockey long enough to feel emotionally betrayed by a lost season, so there are no hard feelings against either side in this whole thing.

Instead, I've been getting more and more excited about the upcoming triple free-for-alls of the draft lottery, free agency and the league's official ass-kissing campaign to put butts back in seats.

Has professional sports ever seen anything like what we're about to witness? The Bruins. Isles and Caps have four or five players inked to deals. There are only 288 players under contract throughout the league. Any team at all could win the rights to the next Gretzky (or the next Daigle). The league itself will be expected to grovel for forgiveness, teams will be expected to slash ticket prices, and rules of play will be changed. And everything will have to be settled in time for an early training camp to allow time for the 2006 Olympics.

I'll watch your trainwreck of a season, NHL, and I'll be entertained when the competitive balance gets thrown off the usual tracks. Columbus, Chicago and Nashville could have hockey into June while contract-laden teams like Toronto and Detroit could struggle just to fill three lines.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 02:21:23 pm »

Yeah, it will be nuts.  I actually missed hockey over the winter--I'm not much of a basketball fan, so I had little reason to read the sports section of the paper or watch annoying-ass SportsCenter.  And right now I'm too caught up in baseball to be excited about hockey.  But all in good time.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 02:32:33 pm »

Gawd, without hockey the evening news sports coverage here in the middle of Canada was actually kind of funny.  The SO and I would giggle over the constant coverage of Curling.

Winnipeg has a brand-spanken-new arena, and there's been talk of us  possibly getting a NHL team again.  Go, Jets, go!  Actually the only time I took even I minor interest in Hockey was when I was in the stands surronded by drunken strangers.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 03:35:55 pm »

I went to see a hockey game a couple of months ago.  God what a ridiculous sport that is.  Have you ever had a yawn that didn't quite make it?  You start to inhale, but then it just turns into an inhale without the uhm, satisfaction, yeah, that you get from a yawn.  That's what hockey was like for me.  They drive down the ice, set up the play, drive to the net, he shoots, he misses.  Over and over again.  I think when they do actually score, it's a fluke.  Of course I never saw a score, I couldn't keep up with the puck.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 05:38:52 pm »

Here in Kansas City we had a minor league hockey team last year.  I had assumed that without the NHL they'd actually do pretty well, but they folded after their first season.  

We're building a new arena here, and from listening to the sports shows out here people are more excited about getting an Arena Football team than a Hockey team.  I think I'm kind of there myself.  I'm still kind of pissed at baseball for their strike, and they didn't kill a whole season.  I have little sympathy for hockey...
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 07:26:38 pm »

We used to go to Cleveland Lumberjacks games - minor league sports are awesome. Tons of giveaways and just ENDLESS brawling on the ice.

Good times, good times.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 08:00:09 pm »

There used to be a lower-level minor league hockey team outside DC, down in Upper Marlboro.  A few times I organized group outings to their games, with the promise "There WILL be a fight or double your money back!"  I never had to pay.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 08:03:35 pm »

What is CBA?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 08:08:41 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
What is CBA?


The Christian Basketball Association, which is why I'm probably more confused by this thread than you are.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 08:49:42 pm »

Jesus Christ Returns to the NBA!  (Damn you, the Onion, for taking your archive off-line.)

Actually, it's Collective Bargaining Agreement.  The onwers-players collective deal.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 08:55:51 pm »

I thought it was referring to the Continental Basketball Association, and couldn't figure out the connection.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
NHL: A new CBA?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 11:25:00 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I thought it was referring to the Continental Basketball Association, and couldn't figure out the connection.


me too, unless Isiah Thomas is skating now?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1]   Go Up