Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Stop the Loathing  (Read 2720 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Can't Stop the Loathing
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:02:45 pm »

Yo, party people. I'm just curious; is anyone out there still playing Kingdom of Loathing? I was just about bored with the game, but Jick's added new content recently (the ability to beat the game and restart in Shinier Mode) and I've found myself totally captivated again. Anyone out there with me?

(I could have resurrected the old thread, but I am capricious and chose not to. So sue me.)
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:17:27 pm »

Go to the Cannon Museum and look at the First 100 Ascenders plaque. I'm #13, hooray!

I am thoroughly digging the game once more thanks to the new shiny stuff. I like things that are shiny.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:07:57 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Yep. I noticed the new content and have farted around some but I just lack the time to invest in really disco-ing down with it.

Looking forward to ascending a character soon, though.

Trust me, once you ascend the game gets much more interesting. You have to grind through all the old quests again, sure, but at least you have concrete goals, and ascending gives you gobs and gobs of fun new content to play with. I got bored with it because after a certain point there was just nothing to do besides randomly fart around and play the market; with ascension, I will always have goals and things to have fun with.
Logged

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:39:09 pm »

A friend and I were doing quite well in that game, managing to amass quite a lot of meat. They deleted our characters after 60 (I think) days of inactivity, though, and that just angered me to no end. I don't think I'll be going back to it any time soon.

Also, this was before I got into things like City of Heroes and World of Warcraft.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 02:47:46 am »

i just realized that my old accounts had gone bye bye.

sigh.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:05:11 am »

Yeah, I haven't played KoL since they ruined the market sub-game last year by capping prices.  That, and the fact that I reached the unfinished end of the game pretty quickly.

I just checked and my two old accounts are gone.  I can't see myself having enough patience to play it again.

If I'm going to do repetitive tasks to improve game stats then I want a better payoff, like respawning weapons or something.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 02:59:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I haven't played KoL since they ruined the market sub-game last year by capping prices.  That, and the fact that I reached the unfinished end of the game pretty quickly.

The only reason the game is worth playing at this point is that they actually finished the ending, so you can beat it and Ascend (basically "New Game +"). The replay value is heightened massively, and so you can spend less time just dicking around the market, which is lameness embodied. That said, they've inserted even more quests, apparently as speed-bumps, and that's sort of lame.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 09:11:34 pm »

With one notable looming exception the new "speed-bump" quests are either very easy or add interest and value to a section of the game that previously had to be done but wasn't all that interesting. That's my opinion only, though, as a pretty devoted Loather.

I got completely bored with playing the market (basically the only thing the game had after level 15ish), so when the option to ascend into a new incarnation with a "hardcore" flag that disallows you from accessing your old inventory or getting items from other players was introduced it gave the game a serious shot in the arm for me. I don't want to see the inside of the player marketplace for another few incarnations at least. Hardcore Oxygenarian is a fun game, and with new revelations about prizes for different challenge paths I find myself constantly reworking my plans. Fun stuff.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Can't Stop the Loathing
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 12:31:01 am »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
With one notable looming exception the new "speed-bump" quests are either very easy or add interest and value to a section of the game that previously had to be done but wasn't all that interesting. That's my opinion only, though, as a pretty devoted Loather.

Yeah, that's fair. I do like that they now formally introduce some important areas that are otherwise easy to miss (the Beanstalk and Mt. McLargeHuge come to mind). I don't mind them, but I have to imagine that someone who doesn't particularly care for quests wouldn't like them.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up