Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!  (Read 6930 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 09:11:06 pm »

My standard is 128, and I don't hear any serious problems. Does my hearing just suck?
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 09:19:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
My standard is 128, and I don't hear any serious problems. Does my hearing just suck?


Probably not, but have you ever seriously compared a couple different bitrates?  You're probably missing a little bit, but not much - and if you don't mind, then there's no reason to waste space doing it any differently.

Just try to refrain from making copies of those copies, is all.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 11:21:19 pm »

Back in the 128 days I noticed that some songs suddenly developed sybilant S's but lately I use --alt preset standard. I have yet to grasp the point of --alt preset insane even existing when FLAC and Monkeys are available.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 12:29:13 am »

Quote from: "acoxcae"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My standard is 128, and I don't hear any serious problems. Does my hearing just suck?


Probably not, but have you ever seriously compared a couple different bitrates?  You're probably missing a little bit, but not much - and if you don't mind, then there's no reason to waste space doing it any differently.

Just try to refrain from making copies of those copies, is all.

Yeah, that's fair. I should probably do the 256/192/128 rip test on a song, just to see if I'm really ripping things too low. Of course, with mix CDs I just use the wavs anyway, so I hope I am not passing on my crappiness to another dub generation.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 02:55:41 am »

By the by, does anyone know of a good FLAC -> MP3 encoder that produces quality MP3s as if I'd ripped them directly from CD?  

I can't find anything that doesn't make the results sound like crap, and while I enjoy downloading the 400Mb concerts in FLAC to burn to CD I'd rather just put them on my iPod in mp3 rather than having to burn a CD and THEN rip THAT to mp3.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 03:22:58 am »

Is there at least a way to go FLAC -> wav? Then you could just encode that wav and skip the burning/ripping.

When in doubt check the hydrogen audio fora. Those people are freaking insane.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 03:54:51 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
When in doubt check the hydrogen audio fora. Those people are freaking insane.


I'VE GOT A MISTER KETTLE HOLDING ON LINE THREE
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 04:07:12 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
When in doubt check the hydrogen audio fora. Those people are freaking insane.

I'VE GOT A MISTER KETTLE HOLDING ON LINE THREE

Yes, well they're insane in a very specific and targeted way. I'm more of a Napoleon of All Trades Master of None when it comes to my mental illness.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 01:56:19 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Is there at least a way to go FLAC -> wav?


Naturally!  Just about any FLAC encoder will also decode, which is the joy of lossless compression.  The actual flac executable that comes with flac can usually be used like

flac -d song.flac

And it will dump out a wav of the same name, identical to the one you ripped originally.  Then, of course, you could encode that to MP3.

Or, you could use dbPowerAmp, which will go straight from FLAC to MP3, in batches - but the free/shareware version will only do 10 at a time.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Happy 10th Birthday, MP3!
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 02:00:03 pm »

I use MacFlac, which does FLAC to AIFF or FLAC to WAV. Since I then just burn a lossless copy and then load those into iTunes and convert them to AAC, there are probably much easier ways of doing things.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up