Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005  (Read 7305 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 04:01:46 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.




Chris Onstad is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most selfless cartoonist I've ever met in my life.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 05:43:11 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I knew I should've just read Garfield today - at least I would have heard something snarky involving a dog or lasagne.

Also, is the reason the Roomba ad a separate panel today because they're now a paying sponsor of Achewood, or because Onstad needed to fill an extra panel because he was just utterly devoid of any ideas for an additional panel?

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.

MONDAY: The Grass Grows at Achewood Court


I would have phrased it differently but I think that comparison to a Wookie Fart is apt today.

In fact, the funniest thing so far about this strip is the Wookie Fart comment. Someone should make a flash movie of that. But as I've said before, the gold far, far outweighs the dross in the body of work and I'm just happy to be part of this board so carry on.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 06:00:16 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "jough"

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.


I would have phrased it differently


Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 06:31:48 pm »

I don't see how this comic could not make you laugh. I'm sorry but the way Teodor chastises Philippe without breaking character just kills me. I got a good chuckle and it made a fine day (I am putting in my 2 weeks notice at my job!) even better.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 06:34:18 pm »

"There's nothing here, people. NOTHING."

Pat?
Logged

Suckin_Dick

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 06:45:48 pm »

man i haven't seen a roomba strip in a while.  this one is great.  man don't wookies eat droid arms like almonds anyway?  the way the wookie came off in this one is as if he's like a small retarded child who doesn't know any better.  frankly, as a wookie enthusiast.  i'm slightly offended.
Logged
suckin dick bought this van.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 09:42:11 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
"There's nothing here, people. NOTHING."

Pat?


that is a RIDICULOUS claim and an OUTRAGEOUS lie
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 09:53:23 pm »

I, for one, laughed at this because it reminds me of what my friends and I would do to kill time when we were young and Star Wars didn't have three sucky prequels yet.

Perhaps the appeal lies in the return to the "What do stuffed toys do to pass the time during the day?" premise.  Or in Phillippe getting in Trouble again.  Or the nonsense that generally surrounds the Roomba strips.

I don't know!  Get off my back!  Don't be such a square, man!  This is how the gang gets our kicks!
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 01:11:08 am »

fuck*ng hell man, if jough continues on this trajectory he'll be wanting to kill onstad by early next year
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 01:19:48 am »

Quote from: "palm trees"
fuck*ng hell man, if jough continues on this trajectory he'll be wanting to kill onstad by early next year


Jough won't kill Onstad; that would leave him with one less person to hate.

Crankiness: My Anti-Drug
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 03:43:15 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "palm trees"
fuck*ng hell man, if jough continues on this trajectory he'll be wanting to kill onstad by early next year


Jough won't kill Onstad; that would leave him with one less person to hate.

Crankiness: My Anti-Drug


THREAD WINNER - OH YES
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 03:45:13 am »

I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's lost his path and should take a sabbatical to be with his new baby.  

Don't run the comic into the ground just for the sake of doing it, 'stad.  It's okay to be out of ideas and not have your heart in your work - but you gotta know when to take a step back and wonder if this is something you want to continue to do.  The work is already suffering.

JeremyW

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cringecomics.com
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 03:48:51 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's lost his path and should take a sabbatical to be with his new baby.  

Don't run the comic into the ground just for the sake of doing it, 'stad.  It's okay to be out of ideas and not have your heart in your work - but you gotta know when to take a step back and wonder if this is something you want to continue to do.  The work is already suffering.


You don't like a couple of strips so you think the creator should pack it in?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 03:51:23 am »

Quote from: "JeremyW"
Quote from: "jough"
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's lost his path and should take a sabbatical to be with his new baby.  

Don't run the comic into the ground just for the sake of doing it, 'stad.  It's okay to be out of ideas and not have your heart in your work - but you gotta know when to take a step back and wonder if this is something you want to continue to do.  The work is already suffering.


You don't like a couple of strips so you think the creator should pack it in?


In Jough's world, Grandma Moses would be set adrift on an ice floe for failing to produce during her spent youth.

How this turns into a sexual dream for him is beyond me.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 03:58:53 am »

Quote from: "JeremyW"

You don't like a couple of strips so you think the creator should pack it in?


It's not just a couple of strips - it's been a gradual decline that's been evident for a few months now (that is, when there's even a new strip).

I'm not suggesting he pack it in - I'm suggesting he take a break and then come back when (or if) he finds the passion to do it again.  There's no shame in changing gears, or finding that something that used to be energizing has become an enervating chore.

The strip is on a ballistic trajectory - I'm just hoping that he either pulls up on the stick or bails out before it crashes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up